Omega camp

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captjim_NM

Reaction score
After my wife and I bought our travel trailer, what to do with our old camping gear? After several months of consideration I decided to form the OMEGA CAMP BOX. The omega camp is a one person tent camping system. I am planning on a 2 to 5 day camping trip. we are not talking backpacking stuff here, there are a few luxury items. The neat thing is every thing fits into one box, just grab the tent, sleeping pads, sleeping bags, food and the box. I use a 2 man tent with this system. Here are the contents of the box:

OMEGA CAMP KIT

Cookware
Lexan plates (2) Lexan bowls (2)
Mug (2) Water jug
Cast iron frying pan Sauce pan/lid
Can opener Spoons, forks and knives
Kitchen knife Aluminum foil
Paper towels Matches
Coffee pot Cutting board

Misc.
4 Large trash bags 10X10 camo plastic tarp
2 Bic lighters (2) 4 inch candles
GI toilet paper toilet paper
Bath soap dish soap
Towel pot scrubber
Paper towels Handi-wipes

Hardware
Sleeping bag Sleeping pads Colman fuel
Tent Tent stakes Ground cloth
Pooper scooper Para-cord Trot line cord
Folding shovel Colman stove Colman lantern
D Cell flashlight Spare D batteries Hatchet
Headlight Spair AAA batteries First aid kit
LED Penlight Spair AA batteries Canteen

Food
Energy bars Instant oatmeal
Salt and pepper Tabasco Kipper snacks
Potatoes Ramen soup Sauerkraut
Meat Canned chili Canned beans
Flour tortillas Dried fruit Peanut butter/jelly

Beverages
Coffee, creamer, sugar Tea bags
Instant cocoa Instant apple cider

Niceties
Aluminum frame camp chair 5 gal. Plastic bucket with seat
Stove wind screen Fire cooking grate

This is a one person camp, best suited for truck camping, boat camping not backpacking.
Extra items are included for creature comfort like the cast iron skillet and the camp chair.
In bear country, remember to lock all food in the truck, NEVER allow food into the tent!

This system has served me well on several campouts.

No kids , no telling where I could end up. In New Mexico there are thousands of places to camp. I might head down to Wolf Island in Texas, camped there many times in the 1990's. I have two boats, take the smaller boat do some serous beach combing on Wolf Island. Gee, I would have to talk my wife into giving me a one week kitchen pass. Maybe I could bribe her by bring back a case of fresh gulf shrimp?

BigPaul has a good point. I consider camping practice for a surviving in the wild with what nature throws at you. Every time I go camping I try something new. Somethings work, sometimes they fail. I keep trying to hone my skill. Remember, your mind is your primary weapon. When things go wrong, the ability to stay calm and work through the situation separates the survivors from the causalities. Not every problem can be solved with a firearm. You can buy the latest camping gear and trinkets but when you learn a skill like sharpening a knife, reading a map and compass, you keep that skill for life. When it comes to Bug Out, I plan to stay put at my house. For over 13 years I have chosen to live this lifestyle and this location. If you have read Mel Tappen's books, that is the blueprint I have followed.

Here is a demo I set-up for a girl scout group. de KA5SIW
GS2202016 007.JPG

Since I operate low-power HF, I use all the antenna I can carry. I use a 20 meter inverted vee cut to tune 14.300. In some parts of New Mexico there are no trees so I carry fiberglass poles to raise my antenna up to about 24 ft. I have made contacts with this antenna only 5 feet off the ground. de KA5SIW

Latest posts

Back