Old washing machine motor

Prepper & Survivalism Forum

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

Vern

Reaction score
Is there anything I can make using an old washing machine motor. I recently bought a new washer and I was wondering what the old motor could be used for. Any thoughts?

Marv.Schmitz87

Reaction score
You can make countless gadgets using an washing machine motor. The original purpose was to spin a heavy drum full of wet clothes. That needs a fairly strong and powerfull motor. I would add a gear, maybe innerchangeable with different sizes, to the motor and run whatever I want via a chain. With the different sized gears you can controll the gear transmission ratio. You can lift stuff, spin stuff, power anything you want with it.

Vern

Reaction score
But where would I start. I'm new at prepping and turning old stuff into new gadgets and I thought this would be very useful but not real sure what I would need or what to do

Marv.Schmitz87

Reaction score
I thought this would be very useful
It is a very good thought. If you dont have a use for that motor in particular, store it untill you know what you could use it for. You could literally run anything on a motor. The bigger problem should be the power source. I guess its a 110 V motor. how many watts power does it need to run? You would need a generator or large solar panels to run it.

Brent S

Top Poster
Reaction score
It is a very good thought. If you dont have a use for that motor in particular, store it untill you know what you could use it for. You could literally run anything on a motor. The bigger problem should be the power source. I guess its a 110 V motor. how many watts power does it need to run? You would need a generator or large solar panels to run it.
I have a good sized motor someone took off of something ages ago. I mounted it on a metal base and wired it with a switch to run forwards or backwards, and mounted a pulley wheel on it so I could attach a belt to it to run something. I was just kind of playing with it but still haven't found a good use for it yet. I have thought about an electric cultivator for the weeding in the garden. I've just had it on a shelf in the shop for several years now, figuring it may come in handy one day. I'll post a pict. Of it soon.

jimLE

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
well vern..folks are making good points here...might try walking and looking around at what you have.and think,can i use the motor for/with this? Drhenley pointed out.grinder..do you have tools that need sharpening?ever need something to grind down something else?