Off the grid communication

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, I have been meaning to bring this topic up.

I just spent 2 1/2 months at my new off grid cabin. People in this place are just as strange as I am. One guy found an app for his cell phone which links him directly with a satellite and allows him to text. It costs $30.00/mo. I have no other details on this yet.

But another family or group really has something. They all belong to some Mexican musical group which is wildly successful. They are very rich people who are throwing down big chunks of money renovating one of the cabins (the one I mentioned having been owned by the electrical genius). They have both cell phone service and internet, somehow. Rumor is they have a very different kind of satellite link. Maybe they brought it from Mexico or used it there. We hear them on their cell phones sometimes.

I do not believe either uses this Armachat system but I want to know more about that too.

Actually, I have been meaning to bring this topic up.

I just spent 2 1/2 months at my new off grid cabin. People in this place are just as strange as I am. One guy found an app for his cell phone which links him directly with a satellite and allows him to text. It costs $30.00/mo. I have no other details on this yet.

But another family or group really has something. They all belong to some Mexican musical group which is wildly successful. They are very rich people who are throwing down big chunks of money renovating one of the cabins (the one I mentioned having been owned by the electrical genius). They have both cell phone service and internet, somehow. Rumor is they have a very different kind of satellite link. Maybe they brought it from Mexico or used it there. We hear them on their cell phones sometimes.

I do not believe either uses this Armachat system but I want to know more about that too.
If you get satellite internet, (I use ViaSat), you can get your cell phone set up to use internet for calls. I have 1-2 bar service up here.

I have a land line type phone on a Hughes Net system.
. I have ViaSat version also, for 98% clarity.
We had to go into our Vz account and set our I phones up to use internet calls. You should be able to also. Still gotta be in range of the house.
It made a huge difference in the house.

No, I am talking about cold, stone, free here. We don't believe these guys pay anything for phone/internet and have some sort of secret satellite system.

These devices use bluetooth frequencies and depend on a mesh network of similar decives running the same software to make the system work. That will not work in the middle of nowhere if there is no other IoT device nearby. It may save the message until the mesh network is in range, but it won't get it there all by itself in the desert. These, to my knowledge, do not use any satellites. There is a big rush to mass produce things like this as FCC regulation is still catching up. Theres headsets, wireless keyboards, speakers, lighting, cars talking to each other on the road.... Things are about to get contested, but that is exactly what is needed for it to function.

If you want access to a satellite for free, just hop on one of those old abandoned military satellites that still work and tell the Somali pirates using them to spin off. There are also ham cubesats up there, there is also a repeater on the ISS now. All perfectly legal to use if you are smart enough to hit them. There are options, but LoRa/Bluetooth in a swamp or up a mountain, not falling for it.

These devices use bluetooth frequencies and depend on a mesh network of similar decives running the same software to make the system work. That will not work in the middle of nowhere if there is no other IoT device nearby. It may save the message until the mesh network is in range, but it won't get it there all by itself in the desert. These, to my knowledge, do not use any satellites. There is a big rush to mass produce things like this as FCC regulation is still catching up. Theres headsets, wireless keyboards, speakers, lighting, cars talking to each other on the road.... Things are about to get contested, but that is exactly what is needed for it to function.

If you want access to a satellite for free, just hop on one of those old abandoned military satellites that still work and tell the Somali pirates using them to spin off. There are also ham cubesats up there, there is also a repeater on the ISS now. All perfectly legal to use if you are smart enough to hit them. There are options, but LoRa/Bluetooth in a swamp or up a mountain, not falling for it.

The house my daughter bought has an unmarked satellite receiver dish, fixed by welding to a certain spot, with a LAN yellow cord and plug coming out of the wall where the connection runs.

A series of devices is the rumor among these people where I am but they are actually in the middle of nowhere and somehow, some people get the internet on their cell phones. ??????

If Project West Ford would have been a success, we wouldn't have this issue :)

Here we use the Verizon HOT SPOT, the best internet we could find. We tried Hughes and when we hit the data limit, it was as slow as a barbed wire telephone line. After we switched to Verizon, Hughes came along with all these NEW DEALS to luer us back, but they never offered us any upgrades while they were taking our money every month for years.

Anyone with spotty internet should look into starlink. I know they already cover southern canada and northern US, not sure how far they got. They have a website to sign up on the waiting list. I average 100Mbps and there is absolutely no data cap. I downloaded a 232GB file (all 20 years of Gunsmoke) over the course of 2 days (because the server connection was slow on their end lol). My friend has gigabit fiber and our internets are equally fast because everyone else we connect to are the limiting factor. With starlink, you can stream pluto.tv to several tvs ar once and not even notice a speed hit. And so far, no storm has cut our signal. Well worth $99 a month!!!!!

Anyone with spotty internet should look into starlink. I know they already cover southern canada and northern US, not sure how far they got. They have a website to sign up on the waiting list. I average 100Mbps and there is absolutely no data cap. I downloaded a 232GB file (all 20 years of Gunsmoke) over the course of 2 days (because the server connection was slow on their end lol). My friend has gigabit fiber and our internets are equally fast because everyone else we connect to are the limiting factor. With starlink, you can stream pluto.tv to several tvs ar once and not even notice a speed hit. And so far, no storm has cut our signal. Well worth $99 a month!!!!!

We’ve paid the deposit and been on the list for 1yr 4mo. Can you tell I want it?? :D

Sounds wonderful, when does it start?

We’ve paid the deposit and been on the list for 1yr 4mo. Can you tell I want it?? :D
There is a deposit? At the beginning, all I needed to do was sign up (name, email, physical address). They contacted me via email and gave me 30 days to accept the offer and pay the $600 on hardware. When I did, they had it shipped to me within a week.

When you do get it, make sure it has a clear view of the sky, #1. Technically, it is not a "dish", it is an array of slot antennas that are electronically phased such that it can steer the radiation pattern without having it physically move to track the satellites. So, even though it appears to always point straight north at some elevation, it will still be trying to look off to the sides (and through your trees). I put mine up on a tower and haven't had a minute of obstruction downtime since. Also, it has a hydrophobic coating and has a heater to melt snow, so don't worry about being able to reach it.

Sounds wonderful, when does it start?
Already has, I've been on it since January. It is not available everywhere though as they are still filling the sky with satellites. They are slowly working further south (and north), but when I first got on it, it was limited to locations of about 50°± 5° in latitude. I know they have greatly expanded that range since, but I have no idea how far.

There is a deposit? At the beginning, all I needed to do was sign up (name, email, physical address). They contacted me via email and gave me 30 days to accept the offer and pay the $600 on hardware. When I did, they had it shipped to me within a week.

When you do get it, make sure it has a clear view of the sky, #1. Technically, it is not a "dish", it is an array of slot antennas that are electronically phased such that it can steer the radiation pattern without having it physically move to track the satellites. So, even though it appears to always point straight north at some elevation, it will still be trying to look off to the sides (and through your trees). I put mine up on a tower and haven't had a minute of obstruction downtime since. Also, it has a hydrophobic coating and has a heater to melt snow, so don't worry about being able to reach it.

Already has, I've been on it since January. It is not available everywhere though as they are still filling the sky with satellites. They are slowly working further south (and north), but when I first got on it, it was limited to locations of about 50°± 5° in latitude. I know they have greatly expanded that range since, but I have no idea how far.

Yes, when it isn’t in your area yet, you get on the list by making a deposit.

When i said starlink averages 100Mbps, this is what i mean, lol.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211119-213842.png
    Screenshot_20211119-213842.png
    133.4 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Back