Off the grid camping / remote camping

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterjames

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a great location to remote camp in the Western United States? I am looking for a MUST SEE amazing trip!

Any of the national parks. I think the season you go should help dictate some of the location so you'll be more comfortable.

I'm new to the off the grid camping but what are some great ways to sustain a month in the remote woods and still have some modern conveniences?

any ideas to what sites your wanting/planning on seeing?and what states you'll be going to?..

one good location,might be the grand canyon..i went there quiet a few years back,.and they had campgrounds back then.so that might be something to look into..it's deffently a beautifull place to go.especilly if you do any hiking..

You can take off a MONTH for camping? Wow, I envy that ability....

One of those Solar panel kits that rest on your backpack is the way to go, to still have some modern convenience. A professional camping cart helps too, so you can just pull gear vs. carry it all on your shoulders. That long though, and most of your day will be spent getting food.

This is why post SHTF, groups are a must. Some could go hunting, while others were home, growing veggies and preparing the last hunt's yield for dinner when the hunters come home!

Build a rocket stove so you can cook with very little fuel, and steralize water. A zeer pot will make your food last longer with no electricity. Both of these things are cheap and will improve your comfort level. If not familiar with them just google each. As gaz stated, I'm jealouse of that much time available!

As a kid we would go camping a week at a time sometimes 2 . Hunting , fishing cooking on a camp fire sleeping in tents and even on the ground , hot humid Summer , bitter cold snowy Winter didnt matter . This was my type of fun but not everyone that went with us enjoyed it . No wonder I grew up to become a Survivalist .

Most I'd usually go was a week. While we typically packed a lot of food, the last few days would be a lot of fish dinners, lol. (and we drank a lot of hot tea and hot chocolate).... We usually had a cold creek near a campsite though, which was good for clean water and cooling.

Most I'd usually go was a week. While we typically packed a lot of food, the last few days would be a lot of fish dinners, lol. (and we drank a lot of hot tea and hot chocolate).... We usually had a cold creek near a campsite though, which was good for clean water and cooling.
A week is about the most I am comfortable with too. After that I start to miss my bed and hot showers. That's plenty long enough to test all your gear and unwind from the world a bit.

I am in need of it SO bad right now. (and I'd love to see the kids without a cell phone for a few days)....
Nobody else in my family would want to do it though. Most of my camping was when younger, and single.

I am in need of it SO bad right now. (and I'd love to see the kids without a cell phone for a few days)....
Nobody else in my family would want to do it though. Most of my camping was when younger, and single.
Mayby throw it out that that's what you'd really like for Father's Day or a birthday, a three or four day camping trip with the family. Tell em you have enough ties:).

The 3 people who were found dead at a remote Rocky Mountain campsite were trying to escape society but were unprepared for life off the grid, stepsister says --- I suppose most if not all of our members are aware of the tragic deaths of the three trying to escape the Biden / Communist mess . Just my way of thinking but expect most people that have a similar plan will simply perish if they do such a thing when SHTF deepens even further . Practical prepping is much more than just grabbing a bug out bag and running off to hide from whatever . I know many and likely most people Invision themselves surviving like on the movie "Jerimiah Johnson " . In reality their fate most likely will be as the three in the link --- If we have anyone on here active , inactive or a guest reading this , that is contemplating doing such a thing , feel free to contact me for advice before going forward with such a plan . I am an ex Green Beret .

Last edited:
Several great US forest service campgrounds in New Mexico. These ae not shown on state highway maps or even the DeLorme atlas. To name a few: Red Cloud near Corona NM. Cosmic Campground near Glenwood. These campgrounds have tolets and may have some picnic tables. There are several more but I can't remember the names. You can buy US Forest service maps and they show these campgrounds. These campgrounds do not use reservations, and kind'a get busy close to hunting seasons. Watch fire restrictions and bring lots of water.

Latest posts

Back