Oak leaves for crisper pickles?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danil54grl

Top Poster
Reaction score
The old timers used grape leaves in with their pickle brine to have crisper pickles. I've read that it is because the grape leaves had tannin and that is what caused the cukes to stay crisp. So if it's the tannin, why wouldn't oak leaves be used in place? Anyone try this? I made both a spicy bread & butter along with dills this morning placing a couple oak leaves in the jars as an experiment. I have used pickle crisp which works great, but can not get local. And I refuse to buy online with a credit card. Alum also works pretty good, but both of these options get too pricey for me. Trying to find an alternate that I have on hand. Horseradish also contains the tannin so that may be the next experiment.

The old timers used grape leaves in with their pickle brine to have crisper pickles. I've read that it is because the grape leaves had tannin and that is what caused the cukes to stay crisp. So if it's the tannin, why wouldn't oak leaves be used in place? Anyone try this? I made both a spicy bread & butter along with dills this morning placing a couple oak leaves in the jars as an experiment. I have used pickle crisp which works great, but can not get local. And I refuse to buy online with a credit card. Alum also works pretty good, but both of these options get too pricey for me. Trying to find an alternate that I have on hand. Horseradish also contains the tannin so that may be the next experiment.
I can’t say anything is 100% safe in today’s world, but I shop on line all the time with no problems. I do know that amazon and ebay open up a world of value and options for you to compare. I recently started collecting coins again and ebay not on let’s me look at literally thousands of ones to compare but I can see what the best values are for each type. Online has brought a richness and variety that even kings never had before.
As far as trying things you have on hand for canning, even that can be researched on line in many cases. I don’t use pickle crisp often but if grape leaves work I have loads of them and oaks!

Yesterday s experiment was oak leaves, today is Bread n Butter using horseradish. As far as online shopping goes, well I'll leave it to other s. I hate credit / debit cards and still use checks and cash. If they can't accept those than I don't do business with them.

Yesterday s experiment was oak leaves, today is Bread n Butter using horseradish. As far as online shopping goes, well I'll leave it to other s. I hate credit / debit cards and still use checks and cash. If they can't accept those than I don't do business with them.
I agree as a general rule, credit cards are evil. As I’ve stated here before, I use cards for both business and personal things, but NEVER leave a balance on them. I feel they are safer than carrying cash by far though. Even if there are unauthorized charges as long as you catch them early by looking at your statement regularly then you’re not responsible for them. I do write checks a lot too and have often wondered how wise it is to give someone your bank account number. I guess these is no 100% safe way to transfer money in the world, but with the risk of carrying cash I think cards are as safe at least.

Latest posts

Back