Not sure how accurate this is....

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VenomJockey

God Like
Reaction score
http://www.askaprepper.com/7-items-to-stockpile-to-keep-your-car-running-after-an-emp/

Excerpt: "But there’s a problem with that. An endless series of science fiction stories have shown what happens when computers run amok and take over the world. Ever since 2001 a Space Odyssey, out of control computers have been killing people. But what about when the opposite happens and computers just stop working?

That’s what would happen if one of our country’s enemies decided to attack us with an EMP. Rather than killing us by computers going haywire, it would be killing us by our computers breaking. Nothing would work, including our cars.

However, it is possible to have your car work after the EMP is gone. With a few simple preparations, you could be the only one on your block who is still driving, when everyone else is walking. For, as one engineer put it, “What one man can break, another can remake.” All it takes is having the right parts."

I’ve read where at least one car manufacturer has an emp testing facility that the big 3 use. I think it’s Ford....

Anyway, on a lot of modern cars, it said that you could disconnect the battery for 30 minutes or an hour, reconnect, and they’d start again.

Dunno. I’d like to see that.

An EMP won't kill the vehicle. Much of what is out there is a myth, the DoD has tested this on civilian vehicle and found it wouldn't affect the vehicle much at all. Lightening strikes the vehicles all the time with very little affect other than paint damage depending where it hit may cause a fire, lightening puts out a massive electromagnetic field, EMP/CME will affect the grid because it covers a vast area.

Last edited:
Being in the automobile industry, if you are going to stock pile the parts.

You will have to order an ecm(computer with an estimated mileage of when you expect to replace it). To the tune of $250-800.

Then there's the sensors, a car will run without an oxygen sensor. It will most likely get bad mileage but it will run. You will have to have a camshaft position sensor, crank shaft position sensor( some vehicles use one or the other, most use both), knock sensor, fuel injectors, mass air flow or air charge temp sensor, oil pressure sensor, ignition switch, abs controller, fuel pump controler(not all vehicles) on a direct injection vehicle, high pressure fuel pump.

All of witch will be rather expensive. It would be cheaper to get a pre1985 vehicle or a pre computer diesel.

Being in the automobile industry, if you are going to stock pile the parts.

You will have to order an ecm(computer with an estimated mileage of when you expect to replace it). To the tune of $250-800.

Then there's the sensors, a car will run without an oxygen sensor. It will most likely get bad mileage but it will run. You will have to have a camshaft position sensor, crank shaft position sensor( some vehicles use one or the other, most use both), knock sensor, fuel injectors, mass air flow or air charge temp sensor, oil pressure sensor, ignition switch, abs controller, fuel pump controler(not all vehicles) on a direct injection vehicle, high pressure fuel pump.

All of witch will be rather expensive. It would be cheaper to get a pre1985 vehicle or a pre computer diesel.

Many of the ECMs would have to be programmed by VIN number if replacing them, having extra on hand does no good when there no way to program.

Most shops log into the manufacture for the programming codes tied to the VIN, no electricity means no internet mean no way to retrieve the programming codes.

We had a problem here once when we replace an ECM, the car wouldn't start, come find out the problem was the key had a chip and the new ECM wouldn't allow the engine to start because the key and ECM weren't married to one another. I ordered the ECM pre-programed for the VIN, it wouldn't start just flashing the anti theft lights, we had to tow the car to get the ECM, chipped Key and Keyfob married. It was a pain in the ###.

We had a problem here once when we replace an ECM, the car wouldn't start, come find out the problem was the key had a chip and the new ECM wouldn't allow the engine to start because the key and ECM weren't married to one another. I ordered the ECM pre-programed for the VIN, it wouldn't start just flashing the anti theft lights, we had to tow the car to get the ECM, chipped Key and Keyfob married. It was a pain in the ###.
I think some of these new anti-theft systems are more trouble than getting your car stolen.
I have considered stockpiling parts but then I realize I wouldn't know what to do with them, and in any case I think the biggest issue we will face after SHTF is lack of fuel, rather than vehicles not function due to EMP. Heck, if the cars aren't working, neither will the gas pumps.

Let me guess, Ford??

Latest posts

Back