North East Annual Meet & Greet

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alabaster

1st Member Of DPF
Reaction score
Please use this thread for "All things NE". If you're going, what you're looking forward to about it, or anything else you think is pertinent to this M&G. More info below and even more to follow...

http://raystown.nab.usace.army.mil/Camping/seven_points_camp.htm

If you're interested in going, please look this link and info over. I was told that reservations are almost mandatory that time of year there. I think it's best to get in while you fit in... I want to book as far out as possible, personally.

My luck is that there won't be a place within 500 miles of there if I don't jump on it. I'm bad for procrastination(I'm getting better about it) and I think it's my punishment for not acting in a timely manner. Every time I put something off, it comes back to bite me HARD.

I hope to see you all there...

Yes. It's the same date as the SE one. We were trying to line them all up at the same time. I'm not sure that was the best idea, but we're trying to learn the best way to set these up as we go. This is a first so we're working on it- Like a Tiger Team... I think next time we will have some new ideas(Of course), but we were worried that if we asked for dates we would get too many answers and being that we can set up more localized M&Gs whenever we want, we figured it best to take the reigns on this one.

Alabater, Wiredog and I were talking awhile back and he made the suggestion to divide the meets up into 6 sections instead of 4. That would put meeting spots closer for folks, quite a few don't want to drive 12+ hours just to get somewhere and then have to drive that back. It made good sense to me.

Alabater, Wiredog and I were talking awhile back and he made the suggestion to divide the meets up into 6 sections instead of 4. That would put meeting spots closer for folks, quite a few don't want to drive 12+ hours just to get somewhere and then have to drive that back. It made good sense to me.
I still stand by that idea. plus it needs to be more in the middle of the summer. Most of us have kids,so we need to plan around school breaks.

Hey guys would love to come since that's only about 4 hours from my house, but health may prevent it this year. I hope it's a yearly thing and I can join you next year. I have been too ill for any trip like that this year : ( have fun and good luck. Let me know how it goes too.

Well I think it's best that we keep this movign ahead for now. It seems to be a little too late to revamp the whole plan. I do though, think that we should be doing these M&Gs more often than once a year. Let's start really getting some more input from people about dates, locations, frequency, etc for the upcoming meets and take it from there. Far be it from me to discourage anyone from setting up another event, either. If you guys/gals want to set them up once a month or more, it's fine by me!! Thanks for eht input, keep the thoughts coming!

Please use this thread for "All things NE". If you're going, what you're looking forward to about it, or anything else you think is pertinent to this M&G. More info below and even more to follow...

http://raystown.nab.usace.army.mil/Camping/seven_points_camp.htm

If you're interested in going, please look this link and info over. I was told that reservations are almost mandatory that time of year there. I think it's best to get in while you fit in... I want to book as far out as possible, personally.

My luck is that there won't be a place within 500 miles of there if I don't jump on it. I'm bad for procrastination(I'm getting better about it) and I think it's my punishment for not acting in a timely manner. Every time I put something off, it comes back to bite me HARD.

I hope to see you all there...

What is the date?? I couldnt make the one in TN cuz it would've been over 9 hrs drive for me...and then back again...just to far. Any that are closer to IL/IA? Thanks.

My apologies, sjeanine. I've been away for a bit and haven't gotten to the site, my apologies. It's the weekend of the 23rd to 25th. Please let me know who all is going and what all you guys want to do!!!

M&G Coming up SOON!!!!!!! I'm looking forward to meeting folks at the NE location, Seven Points Campground in PA.

It's been a long summer and I'm sorry I haven't been around as much as I'd like but there just isn't enough time in the day to do everything I'd like... I hope yall(Yes, I said yall.... I'll take jokes about my southern slang at the M&G) understand and are patient with me... Please let me know how many of you are coming and when you'll be out there. I won't have my computer with me, so I want to be sure I know how to catch up with everyone!

We'll be at Seven P0ints, PA.... My site is 024 if anyone wants to stop by you're more than welcome.

Well....... I made it and one other prepper made it(Who is not a member here to my knowledge)... I had a great time, personally. JimLE, I was almost positive we'd see you out there! Too bad, man. It was a relaxing time and it wasn't expensive like some trips I've taken. I was really surprised that the area was as well kept as it was.

I think this would/is a great place for a M&G if we're not intending to do much as far as actual wilderness/survival skills training, etc.. It's amazingly beautiful and very well kept. Army Corps of Engineers keeps this place IMMACULATE. I would honestly, truly... I would seriously put this on a 4 star resort level. There is actually a resort not far from it, but the 7 Points Campground is just that... A campground(But not like I'm used to). There is a lake that is bigger than I remember from when I was a kid, trails(That are easy hiking and tougher ones), wildlife, and NO BUGS. I always hear griping about BUGS! Well, I don't know if they spray some super death ray bug spray or what, but whatever it is, there are no mosquitos, flies, gnats, or other bothersome pests. Timber rattlers(Which we didn't see), deer(Which we did see), and a plethora of birds, and who know what else live out there. They DO allow hunting there during season, and I may look into that this year or next.

The campsites are NOT very private. THere isn't much of a canopy over head, even though you're surrounded by woods. The campsites are big and there are electricity hook ups for whatever you need. Easy access to drinking water, shower facilities, and just about anything else you need/want. Fire wood would be the exception. They keep it so neat that there were almost NO fallen trees to take from. You can run right up the road and buy from the locals though(Which is what we did). In the evenings, around 1800 or so, trucks roll through selling firewood and ice.... Speaking of ice..... I forgot this is Pennsylvania, so alcohol is an issue for those who drink. We must have driven around for 45 minutes to find a "Distributor" that sold beer(No wine, or liquor there)... They ONLY sold by the case, and they ONLY sell HOT beer. Nothing is cold, although you can buy ice there. We finally found a bar that sells beer for take-out. I couldn't care less, but it seems like most people I know like to drink when they're camping so this may be a consideration for you.

Overall, we had a nice weekend. We had to move our reservation to another site though. We had one that was an odd man out... It was the only one I saw that was on a slope that was steep enough that our tent and things were not staying put very well at all. Once we moved locations, we settled in nice and spent the rest of our time running around the campground looking at trails, the marina, and we went to an "Event" at the visitor center that explained the history behind Raystown Lake and all the old ghost stories and myths about the area. It was interesting, because we found some things were true that we previously thought were just BS. I have a couple pics, so I'll try and get them up today sometime.

I'm sorry no one from DPF came out, but hopefully the next time we do M&Gs around the Country, people can make it. I can always use an excuse to go camping, so I hope everyone is thinking of DPF crew when they plan their next outing.

I'm not sure when the next ones will be, I'll have to get with Clyde and the other Mods to find out. Whenever it's going to be, I'm looking forward to having more folks out there.

im glad things turned out good for yall..i've been thinking along the lines of haveing the m&g's at the begining of summer vacations..that way it wont be to hot out or whatever for everyone..i prolly would of showed up.but i thinking it would of been to far for me to travel..pluse the one i went to broke my pocket book...

I think it will get easier as you get more members. Hope you have some tools to show you where members are enough to find places where more can meet up.

well thats just it..there's already 1,218 members..so it's partly got to do with getting at least some of the non-active members too become active..if we can..as well as getting new members who will attend..

Gazrok, there are some tools to let us know where folks are.... Assuming they're putting in accurate info. Some folks don't feel too comfy with putting that kind of info online. Tracking down more accurate info isn't really beneficial... If they're not putting accurate info in their profile then they likely won't show to a M&G...

What I'm hoping is that people will start to come out once they see that we're all very similar and there's not many of us "On the fringe"... Some folks I talked to wanted to see how the 1st one panned out before they came. Others had family vacations planned and couldn't get all that time off... No worries though, since we've kicked around the idea of what our M&Gs should consist of. Some of us(Myself included) wanted to get into some info sharing. Teaching, learning, and sharing info would be beneficial to many who don't have access to people who know their way around the wilderness. I was going to offer an NRA Basic Pistol class if enough people came, but it turns out most others just wanted to get together to hang out and relax, enjoying company. THat's fine with me too.... THat's actually all we really did this weekend. We went out to the Visitor Center, but more than anything else, we just hung out and talked the whole time, sightseeing and enjoying the area.

I was asked to head up a NE meet, and next time, I would prefer to be involved with the SE M&G, but ultimately, I'll go where I'm needed. I think from now on, we'll be looking for info from members as to where and when to have them, so please find the thread on M&Gs and put your $.02 in. The more opinions, the better. I think we should try and get to where we're most likely to have a big turnout... Time-wise also. I like summer time, but I know most people think 90+ degrees is just too hot. It was actually in the 80s with low humidity this weekend and it dropped into the mid-50s at night. I think that's really good by most people's standards...

Someone please do me a favor and let me know if you can get into my photobucket account from these pics. Nothing personal, but I have private pics in there I don't want to get out. Thanks

Latest posts

Back