North Carolina

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all, well we will be heading down next week.Staying in Raleigh.and checking out some of the cities and towns. We have been doing plenty of research on the state and diffrent areas.But until we actually see the area for ourself.,Than we will know what city or town we may or may not want to live in.Wife has been talking with a company in Mebane.We both have applications and resumes out so we will see how that goes.Im looking forward to going to Bowman Gray on the 21st.Ill keep everyone posted.

Hello all just updating after our trip to NC.We put over 800 miles on the rental.Driving around checking out different cities and towns.Went From Winstom Salem, all the way to New Bern,We stayed just outside Raliegh.Went to Bowman Gray stadium for the races on Sat night.That was fun ,Also went to the art museum in Raliegh.Also the big flea market at NC state.Did some indoor carting which was fun.Spent Friday night in down town Raliegh. Went to a couple Harley Davidson shops.As I myself. And of course spent some time by the pool. Anyway. we have been applying for jobs around the state.So we will see how that goes.It will really help now that we have a better idea what cities and towns we would like to work and live in and which ones we would not.Anyway,just wanted to post a update.I will let everyone know when and where we end up.Thanks to everyone for your help.David

Hello all just updating after our trip to NC.We put over 800 miles on the rental.Driving around checking out different cities and towns.Went From Winstom Salem, all the way to New Bern,We stayed just outside Raliegh.Went to Bowman Gray stadium for the races on Sat night.That was fun ,Also went to the art museum in Raliegh.Also the big flea market at NC state.Did some indoor carting which was fun.Spent Friday night in down town Raliegh. Went to a couple Harley Davidson shops.As I myself. And of course spent some time by the pool. Anyway. we have been applying for jobs around the state.So we will see how that goes.It will really help now that we have a better idea what cities and towns we would like to work and live in and which ones we would not.Anyway,just wanted to post a update.I will let everyone know when and where we end up.Thanks to everyone for your help.David
Sounds to me like you had a good time checking North Carolina out. Look forward to hearing where exactly you will be moving to my friend. Please keep us posted and I wish you both all the best in your new endevers.

My husband and I are in NC, near the coast for now. We are starting to look at properties in western NC/eastern TN now. We have to get away from the humidity, military bases and .... "civilization"... really want to be off by ourselves somewhere because we're both so tired of being surrounded by people.

I live in NC. I live pretty much between Fayetteville and Raleigh. We have 1 acre here and plenty of room for all of our chickens. However if I had my way I would be moving closer to the mountains. I like the cooler weather. Even though I have noticed the past 2 years they get more Tornadoes there then we do here.

I live in NC. I live pretty much between Fayetteville and Raleigh. We have 1 acre here and plenty of room for all of our chickens. However if I had my way I would be moving closer to the mountains. I like the cooler weather. Even though I have noticed the past 2 years they get more Tornadoes there then we do here.
Welcome to DPF. I haven't been here much lately but plan on changing that right now.

Hope to meet more people from NC that are preppers that way in case if something bad happens we will know some wheres fairly close by, we have friends at least in the same boat as we will be in. Most of the folks in our area would up and leave if the crap hits the fan, that is why I am thinking bugging in may be a better plan then bugging out.

Hello all,Well we still plan on moving down to NC,We just had to delay it last August,We will be down there next month on vacation.Going to spend 4 days in DuckNC than fours days in Raleigh.We hope to relcoate withing the next 12 4 months or so.David

Hello all,Well we still plan on moving down to NC,We just had to delay it last August,We will be down there next month on vacation.Going to spend 4 days in DuckNC than fours days in Raleigh.We hope to relcoate withing the next 12 4 months or so.David

Just remember there is good sides to NC and bad sides to it. I have seen the good, the bad, and the Ugly of this state.

You are correct,that could be said about any state.How you you like your town. I see it is South of Raleigh

You are correct,that could be said about any state.How you you like your town. I see it is South of Raleigh

If I could sell this place for what I have in it I would move in a minute. We were told it was a nice neighborhood. Found out real fast what nice meant down here. Within the first 2 weeks I had a man drive through the yard and cuss me out because my car blocked him access to the road. I guess he thought it was a second road and not a drive way, all those private property signs and private drive signs meant nothing. Woke up one morning and thought there was a dead body in the yard it was a passed out drunk. Had a lady ranting in the middle of the road 3 years ago buck naked, and high as a kite. Same lady got arrested in my yard 2 weeks later standing in the middle of the yard without a stitch of clothes on ranting and raving about how her body was better looking then all the other women's in the neighborhood. She even tried to make a date with one of the cops. The worst part is we live in the country.:rolleyes:

You are from NH right??? I came here from Maine, a big difference if you are use to low crime rates. Buy extra locks for doors when you move down here. And make sure to get a big dog. Mean or not it scares folks big time. I live about 7 miles from the town of Fuquay, I live 4 miles from Lillington. However one place i wouldn't go looking for property is in the Angier area. To many armed robberies there. I lived there for 3 years, and that place scares the crap out of me. My husband was robbed at gun point last year and forced to drive the robbers to the middle of no wheres in his own van. He thought for sure they would kill him, but instead they took off running. Police are scared over there and wont go looking for the bad guys. I lived in Angier when they had about 20 state and county police go in and get a police car out of the trailer park over there. The folks came to doors with guns, and drove the 2 police officers out. The next morning about 20 police showed up and arrested everyone. That was really bad back then. and it's gotten that bad again. When I go that way now. I take a big dog with me in the car.:mad:

Sounds like your town is not so quiet.Well I grew up in Mass ,lived there for 25 years.Before moving up to NH. I have worked in two diffrent states .In Police Depts, county jail.a state prison, state courts.And now I work for a Hospital where we have our Psych Unit..So I have seen most everything.And dealt with all kinds of people.So there is not much I have not seen.But that being said.Like any state there are some good areas and not so good areas.And crime can happen anywhere at any time.We spent a week in NC last summer.Did some driving around talking with people who live there. And also doing research online.Allmost moved to Mebane last August.But delayed it for a bit.Hope to relocate to NC in the next 12-14 months or so.It's a bit easier for us.As we dont own a house or have kids.And will not have any either..Anyway.if you could sell your house.Would you move to another part of NC?Where in Maine did you live? David

I grew up in Dover Foxcroft. Right in the middle of Maine. Then later on we lived in Exeter Maine. I moved down here to be closer to my cousins and aunt and uncle. Met my husband, and pretty much stayed her ever since. However we moved to Dover Foxcroft when my mom was bad off and in the nursing home. I learned how to live with no running water, no electric, and no phone for 3 years. I loved it. When we came back down here, we found this place. It was owner financed so we took it. But very expensive for this type of area. Finally got it all payed off 2 years ago. So now we are pretty much debt free. I don't miss Maine's mud season, but I sure miss the fact that I could leave my doors unlocked and leave for a month and everything was just the way I left it, when I got back home. Here I lock my doors just to go out to the barn.

Not sure if you all are buying or renting but properties around here run about $180,000 for a 1 bedroom house in a sub. There is a nice place across the road from us that they rent for $800 a month 3 bedrooms and 2 bath, however the rent does not include the lights and water. from what I heard light bill is about $200 a month. Still wicked high.

We rent a two bedroom duplex which could use some updating.lol.Anyway, we pay 1200 a month.And we pay about 1300 a year for our heat.So we don't have a house to sell.And when we relocate we will be renting.And again we don't have children.Well maybe our Beagle/Bassett Bernie.

We rent a two bedroom duplex which could use some updating.lol.Anyway, we pay 1200 a month.And we pay about 1300 a year for our heat.So we don't have a house to sell.And when we relocate we will be renting.And again we don't have children.Well maybe our Beagle/Bassett Bernie.
If you don't need to live near the city, you can get much lower rents in NC. My ex and I were looking in the Cherokee Forest area and there are some very reasonable home prices - which also means rentals are low. And I'll never get to live there now... sigh

I live in pamlico county nc. Population is around 10,000 or so for the whole county. Mostly farming and fishing. Land isn't too expensive however people moving into towns like oriental are causing rents to go higher u can rent a three bedroom anywhere from 500. to 1200. The county is directly across the river from cherry point marine cope station. But we're. Definitely rural. Plenty of hunting and fishing.

I live in pamlico county nc. Population is around 10,000 or so for the whole county. Mostly farming and fishing. Land isn't too expensive however people moving into towns like oriental are causing rents to go higher u can rent a three bedroom anywhere from 500. to 1200. The county is directly across the river from cherry point marine cope station. But we're. Definitely rural. Plenty of hunting and fishing.
You're right up the road from me. My best friend lives there and I visit often. It is a beautiful place but hurricanes always cause a lot of damage there.

Latest posts

Back