Non-preppers and their children.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Albert

Reaction score
I've been thinking about how we all would shoot down people who are coming to take away our stash, but I took another view of what could possibly happen. If people who don't prep find out you have stuff one of the first things they will do is bring their hungry kids to your door and ask for help. I personally could never hurt a child and I would find it extremely hard to turn one away knowing that he/she is hungry and hurting. So I have to take that into consideration as I prep.
So I was wondering what you folks think about that possbile scenario.

i might (most likely will), share some of the food with the kids, only because i cant see a hungry child. but unless i know that the scenario is a temporary one, i will share, but if it is the eotwawki, then sorry kids, me and my wife come first.

I have actually had this happen before while I was in college. There was a bunch of people next door, young women, all kinds of kids under the age of 5 and various men. It never failed, before the end of each month, they'd walk their kids to my yard and push them up my steps to knock on my door while they hid behind one of the trees. Once I'd answer the door and these kids would look up at me and ask for something to eat because they didn't have anything at home.

I know the parents were hoping I'd either give the kids cash to give to them or that I would give them food and they'd take it back to the parents, who would then eat it.

Too bad I didn't play the game the way they wanted me to. I would bring the kids in the house, sit them down to color or play and make them a good meal that would stick to their ribs. Only after the children were finished eating, would I then open the door and holler to the parents to come get their kids. There were at least 4 women in that house drawing a check and food stamps every month, the was no reason for them not to have food. They chose to sell their food money for bling, so maybe they can get nourishment from that.

I would feed hungry childern if I had food to spare but my family comes first. If adults came looking for food they would have to work for it, like the old saying goes "there are no free lunches" if they are willing to put in a good days work they will be fed, if not I'll help them on thier way down the road.

I have actually had this happen before while I was in college. There was a bunch of people next door, young women, all kinds of kids under the age of 5 and various men. It never failed, before the end of each month, they'd walk their kids to my yard and push them up my steps to knock on my door while they hid behind one of the trees. Once I'd answer the door and these kids would look up at me and ask for something to eat because they didn't have anything at home.

I know the parents were hoping I'd either give the kids cash to give to them or that I would give them food and they'd take it back to the parents, who would then eat it.

Too bad I didn't play the game the way they wanted me to. I would bring the kids in the house, sit them down to color or play and make them a good meal that would stick to their ribs. Only after the children were finished eating, would I then open the door and holler to the parents to come get their kids. There were at least 4 women in that house drawing a check and food stamps every month, the was no reason for them not to have food. They chose to sell their food money for bling, so maybe they can get nourishment from that.
I like this idea. Separate the kids from the adults. When I was a kid growing up I remember many times going to school with nothing but a catsup sandwich for lunch. This was before modern programs and worthless people taking advantage of them. So my feelings are tainted I guess. I will always feed a hungry child. My weak spot I guess when TSHTF.

id feed the child.but not the parent if she/he didnt work for it and earn it.i always been taught that a person should earn what they recive.be it food clothing or any thing else.i been working since i was 17.and i've pretty much earned my way through life.and i expect no diffrent from any other able person.but now.if the grown up or teen ager is handy caped in a way that keeps um from working.thats diff.but a capable grown person will work for the food..

I almost had to shoot a kid once.... it sucked. I was guarding a side alley during a fire fight, and every few minutes this one kid would stick his out of the corner. I knew he was spotting for the enemy so I told the translator to tell the kid to stop. He kept on doing it, I told the translator to tell him if he sticks his head out one more time I was going to shoot him... Thankfully the kid stop spotting for the enemy.

Depending on the duration of the scenario I wouldn't be opposed to having stragglers come in depending on their skill level and stuff, but they would have to earn their keep.

I've been thinking about how we all would shoot down people who are coming to take away our stash, but I took another view of what could possibly happen. If people who don't prep find out you have stuff one of the first things they will do is bring their hungry kids to your door and ask for help. I personally could never hurt a child and I would find it extremely hard to turn one away knowing that he/she is hungry and hurting. So I have to take that into consideration as I prep.
So I was wondering what you folks think about that possbile scenario.
The other part of my queary is: would you adjust your prepping to accomodate this possibility? Lay in a supply for just one more mouth. Thank you for your response.

We've made sure that we will have enough to share if we need to with a few people depending on who they are. An example; for our garden, I've put in enough potatoes for 8 people. If you don't know how much that comes out to be it's 1000 pounds of potatoes to go from one season to the next, that's 8 100' long rows of potatoes. 425+ pounds of green beans will hopefully be harvested if the weather works with us. Over 800 pounds of tomatoes will be grown and processed.

We know there will be 6 of us and prepping for 8 gives us some leeway when it comes to helping others.

Latest posts

Back