Non-food doomsday barter items. outside the box ideas. What's yours?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most Scotch turns me off too, and it's the peat smoke that makes it taste bad to me. Johnny Walker Black tastes like drinking charcoal. Unpeated single malts are a whole 'nuther ball game, and I've liked every one I've tried. The Canadians have an unpeated single malt called Glen Breton Rare. It is not very common in the U.S. however. If you ever get a chance to try some, try it.

Most Scotch turns me off too, and it's the peat smoke that makes it taste bad to me. Johnny Walker Black tastes like drinking charcoal. Unpeated single malts are a whole 'nuther ball game, and I've liked every one I've tried. The Canadians have an unpeated single malt called Glen Breton Rare. It is not very common in the U.S. however. If you ever get a chance to try some, try it.
I’m a light weight now days. One glass of wine and I’m pretty much done for the day. The problem with liquor is it relaxes me even faster! I can sip on a glass of wine for over an hour, but a shot glass is usually downed in a couple minutes. As the old saying goes, liqueur is quicker....

Birth control pills and condoms. Peoples needs do not change, and SHTF is a terrible time to be pregnant.
Bicycles. 50cc motor kits for bicycles. They get 125 miles per gallon if you take your time. I own a couple.
Visqueen for collecting rain water. Or, and this may be my favorite if I get stuck in town, WATER. Because I'm the only one in the area that owns a sheet of visqueen.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention I have been collecting How To books for years, so I can sell information on making and doing stuff from Been and Bunny Keeping, making black powder, vehicle mtce, honey making, preserving, food gardening, homeopathic medicines, water filtration, candle making, 12 volt systems, domestic DIY etc etc

we gave up drinking alcohol way back in 2000, I need a clear head to do everything I need to do post SHTF and so will anyone around me, I wont be having any alcoholics around me post collapse.
Agreed on the keeping a clear hear post shtf. However, alcohol has a great draw to many people, making it a good barter item.

I have been collecting How To books for years, so I can sell information on making and doing stuff from Been and Bunny Keeping, making black powder, vehicle mtce, honey making, preserving, food gardening, homeopathic medicines, water filtration, candle making, 12 volt systems, domestic DIY etc etc

That's where I'm going too, if we are off grid, can't charge the laptops and read all of the e-books I have downloaded, then only paper is real. I have enough for me and the wife, the kids don't prep yet. If I gotta support them, it might get tight after about a 3-4 month period. Been prepping long, but don't have the money for sooo much yet either. Won't be bartering too soon except for knowledge, maybe I could get a few things in payment for a survival class. Need to think about this...GP

That's where I'm going too, if we are off grid, can't charge the laptops and read all of the e-books I have downloaded, then only paper is real. I have enough for me and the wife, the kids don't prep yet. If I gotta support them, it might get tight after about a 3-4 month period. Been prepping long, but don't have the money for sooo much yet either. Won't be bartering too soon except for knowledge, maybe I could get a few things in payment for a survival class. Need to think about this...GP

I also like these HOW TO POSTERS, things like how to connect up PV systems, What to put in your BOB etc I think many of them are called Infographics in Americanese. I have aved dozens of them to my files as aide memoirs for future use.

Last edited:
I have an extensive library of survival and prepping type books, I don't file anything on my computer as I wont be able to charge it post SHTF, I prefer actual books anyway and these will be usable long after any ebook has gone the way of the dinosaurs.

Well, I have civilian and military books and Field manuals on survival, guerilla warfare, incendiaries and then the usual mushroom, healing plants and salves, then the trapping, field dressings, medical, waterfiltering and navigation stuff. But nowhere near the thousands of pages of stuff on the notebook. If it survives the EMP as planned, I can charge it up easily with solar, generator or windmill. But paper is better, like you said. GP

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back