non electronic engine

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pengyou

Reaction score
The engine in my van is a little tired. I was wondering if it is possible to build a 5.3 without all the electronics and still get good mpg?

The engine in my van is a little tired. I was wondering if it is possible to build a 5.3 without all the electronics and still get good mpg?
Probably not. Depending on the year of your van the electronics not only control the engine but also the transmission. Your best bet would be to find a pre electronic engine/transmission rebuild them and install in your van. You could look in to marine engines too. I had a new 5.7 carburetted engine in my jet boat that didn't have any electronics. It'd be a major project. Most likely the engine and transmission mounts would need to be modified and possibly the driveshaft too. Personally I think you'd be better off buying a pre 70's vehicle and restoring it instead.

Last edited:
I'm seriously thinking of getting an old jeep. Both for the emp issue and the go anywhere capability. Ok, also just because I've always wanted one :). I saw a cj in a dealership while getting an oil change recently. It was a late 70's ish, and in mint shape. The guy told me they were offered 25k for it, but turned it down. I think it was the owners toy. Nice, but not that nice. I can deal with something a lot less mint shape.

I'm seriously thinking of getting an old jeep. Both for the emp issue and the go anywhere capability. Ok, also just because I've always wanted one :). I saw a cj in a dealership while getting an oil change recently. It was a late 70's ish, and in mint shape. The guy told me they were offered 25k for it, but turned it down. I think it was the owners toy. Nice, but not that nice. I can deal with something a lot less mint shape.
That's a little pricey for an older CJ7, even for one in mint condition. My wife and I both have Jeeps. Hers is an '11 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit, mine's an '07 Rubicon. We both love our Jeeps. Recently I've started looking for a '50's to '60's era Jeep pickup. My plan is to restore it from the ground up. I'd put in a 327 mechanical fuel injected motor, offroad cam, 5 speed manual transmission, PTO winch, one ton front and rear manual locking differentials and AC.

I've had jeeps (nothing pre-electronics), but I've been looking for a first generation Land Cruiser. Pretty hard to find without major rust, unless ya want to spend a ton on them...

That's a little pricey for an older CJ7, even for one in mint condition. My wife and I both have Jeeps. Hers is an '11 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit, mine's an '07 Rubicon. We both love our Jeeps. Recently I've started looking for a '50's to '60's era Jeep pickup. My plan is to restore it from the ground up. I'd put in a 327 mechanical fuel injected motor, offroad cam, 5 speed manual transmission, PTO winch, one ton front and rear manual locking differentials and AC.
I hadn't thought about 50's much. At least I could work on those myself as you can see how things bolted together back then. Did they have ac's in the 50's? I had a 63 valiant convertible that basically had a window unit shoved up under the dash. Leaked condensate all over the floor but blew cold air really well.
The cj even had all the original stickers replaced. Some people get carried away with restoration. I want something that I can actually take off road occasionally, not a showcase piece.

That's what I'm looking for in a land cruiser. I do, however, not want to see the road under me thru the floor.

I'm hinting if I can find one, get it running good and cover the thing in bed liner.... scratch that, lol!

I hadn't thought about 50's much. At least I could work on those myself as you can see how things bolted together back then. Did they have ac's in the 50's? I had a 63 valiant convertible that basically had a window unit shoved up under the dash. Leaked condensate all over the floor but blew cold air really well.
The cj even had all the original stickers replaced. Some people get carried away with restoration. I want something that I can actually take off road occasionally, not a showcase piece.

Two words: Vintage Air. I have a friend who put it in his 57 Chevy and it'll freeze your junk off.

That's what I'm looking for in a land cruiser. I do, however, not want to see the road under me thru the floor.

I'm hinting if I can find one, get it running good and cover the thing in bed liner.... scratch that, lol!
I really like the fjcruiser too. It's a little big, but I really like it. I'm flexible with what I get as long as I find a decent deal on it. There was an old land cruiser under a shed down the road from here that looked like it had been there for years. I may ride over there and see if it's still around. I'll let you know.

I really like the fjcruiser too. It's a little big, but I really like it. I'm flexible with what I get as long as I find a decent deal on it. There was an old land cruiser under a shed down the road from here that looked like it had been there for years. I may ride over there and see if it's still around. I'll let you know.

The FJ I'm talking about isn't any bigger than a CJ. That's part of what I like about it. I think they quit making that model in 72 or 73.

Thanks. I've been thinking about getting a scout II and putting a 4BT in it. Top speed would only be 85 but it would pull whatever I want.

I've had jeeps (nothing pre-electronics), but I've been looking for a first generation Land Cruiser. Pretty hard to find without major rust, unless ya want to spend a ton on them...
I just saw this on Craigslist. Not worth 30k to me, even if I had that lying around, but is in amazing original condition.
IMG_0003.PNG

I'd love to have it, but I agree about the price. I've seen higher priced ones as well...
I thought 30k for unrestored condition was outrageous! I am seeing some (not this year) for around 20k that are in really good condition. I know one thing for sure, whatever I end up getting, it has to have been restored allready. I tried that once and it is way too much money and work for my tastes.

Not sure when the factory started offering AC's as an option. I figured on installing an aftermarket unit, along with power windows.
When I was in highschool a rancher that I worked for sold me a 52 Willy's CJ 2A. That old Jeep would climb a tree. Wish I still had it.

Not sure when the factory started offering AC's as an option. I figured on installing an aftermarket unit, along with power windows.
I can remember the days of aftermarket ACs. Some were pretty obtrusive. Back then we had little vent windows at the front of the side windows you could swing out to get some airflow.

But traveling in a car in the dead heat of summer in the Deep South without A/C can be fatal. Where I grew up in central Mississippi, all the dealers put A/Cs in cars that didn't have them factory installed.

I can remember the days of aftermarket ACs. Some were pretty obtrusive. Back then we had little vent windows at the front of the side windows you could swing out to get some airflow.

But traveling in a car in the dead heat of summer in the Deep South without A/C can be fatal. Where I grew up in central Mississippi, all the dealers put A/Cs in cars that didn't have them factory installed.
We never had ac when we were kids. We just thought everyone was supposed to sweat! Now however, I've grown very accustomed to it. We do have a lot more comforts now days.

I rode by the place with the old land cruiser today. The shed is still standing and had two old fifties trucks, a new camaro and the land cruiser still. I was in a work truck so I didn't stop, but plan to before long. It looks like it has been there for a few years though. I really want something that has been fixed up some already and is at least drivable.

I rode by the place with the old land cruiser today. The shed is still standing and had two old fifties trucks, a new camaro and the land cruiser still. I was in a work truck so I didn't stop, but plan to before long. It looks like it has been there for a few years though. I really want something that has been fixed up some already and is at least drivable.
Another thing I recently learned of is a Mitsubishi jeep. It's not electronic free, but is a Willis like jeep with a Diesel engine and modern drive train. I think they stopped making them in 98, but have seen a couple for sale in great shape. Still considering a four wheel toy anyways.

Latest posts

Back