Nomads or community

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jericho

Reaction score
I know this I probably in the wrong part of the forum but I don't know where it does I'm just curious to know which you believe is the wisest move to be nomads in post apocolyptic world or to try and revulsion a civilization a small town I can see some pros and cons but I wish to know your opinion

I know this I probably in the wrong part of the forum but I don't know where it does I'm just curious to know which you believe is the wisest move to be nomads in post apocolyptic world or to try and revulsion a civilization a small town I can see some pros and cons but I wish to know your opinion
This is something I too have pondered. I think there is something to be said for starting a community since there can be safety in numbers. However, you may end up with a couple of turds who may steal or worse.

But being a nomad can be more dangerous especially should you get hurt, or ambushed, you may become a target for roaming gangs, etc.

That's true but being a community will make you a large target for gangs to attack numbers won't count if they get cut down from multiple battles and being nomadic you won't have to be in the same place for too long making you a harder target to catch

That's true but being a community will make you a large target for gangs to attack numbers won't count if they get cut down from multiple battles and being nomadic you won't have to be in the same place for too long making you a harder target to catch
There are definitely pros and cons to each. It will inevitably become an individual decision. I'm not sure what direction I will go. I am sure that I will start nomadic. The situation will most likely dictate the direction I go.

me personally, im going to try and homestead with my family, and probably try and scavange whats left of the city from time to time.
tbh, i think if your in a position to nomad i think that would be the way to go, untill the gang population settles down and trys to build on their civilization.
another pro to homesteading in a group town type, if there are traveling barter trucks, you'll most likely be one of their stops.

me personally, im going to try and homestead with my family, and probably try and scavange whats left of the city from time to time.
tbh, i think if your in a position to nomad i think that would be the way to go, untill the gang population settles down and trys to build on their civilization.
another pro to homesteading in a group town type, if there are traveling barter trucks, you'll most likely be one of their stops.
I am still debating on this. I see pros and cons to each. But this is one extremely important decision.

well i think if you are in a group, homesteading might be the best option, and you'll be able to call somenplace home, and feel somewhat protected when you sleep. but if your a single person, nomading may be the best option, to be constantly on the move, and possably be able to find a "family".

well i think if you are in a group, homesteading might be the best option, and you'll be able to call somenplace home, and feel somewhat protected when you sleep. but if your a single person, nomading may be the best option, to be constantly on the move, and possably be able to find a "family".
There are advantages to both, and risks to both. I have a few friends who I will be linking up with to basically have our own small... very small community, more resembling a squad.... but it would allow for people to stand a rotating/roving guard.

There are advantages to both, and risks to both. I have a few friends who I will be linking up with to basically have our own small... very small community, more resembling a squad.... but it would allow for people to stand a rotating/roving guard.
ya i wish i had that here. unfortunatly, theres not alot of people in this city i would come close to trusting, exept maybe some family. thankfully i have alot of family, but getting them on a prepper track is proving fruitless. they agree with me prepping but dont seem to want to do it themselfs.

ya i wish i had that here. unfortunately, there's not alot of people in this city i would come close to trusting, except maybe some family. thankfully i have alot of family, but getting them on a prepper track is proving fruitless. they agree with me prepping but dont seem to want to do it themselves.
this post gives me an idea for a new topic about a serious issue we will all face.

Here is the deal... It realy depends on what type of people are in your community. What are the values, morals, and ethics of your community? Me, I am discusted that I can't let my children watch prime TV because of the sugestive commercials and crap they show. If this is what society now feels is OK, well... I might have a problem with society. For now I will go with walking in the shadows, waiting and searching for people like me, then it is still difficult to decide who would win out. Something tells me (History) No war has ever been won where the victor did not keep the moral high ground. Now we have to ask ourselves what is the moral high ground? Is one persons belief greater than anothers? To me it is simple... 1000 meters and you can be identified as a target just by the way you present yourself. You can tell alot about a people if you just watch and listen. I have been in all the worst places you can imagine... Everywhere I go, I can see the same types of people. It doesn't matter what color, race, rich, poor, creed, sex, or religion. I have seen the best and worst in people that no border or ocean can seperate. Until the day where the wicked by all accounts is not tolerated, I stand on watch in that which I can affect. Nomad or Community is not a choice, but a situation.

Here is the deal... It really depends on what type of people are in your community. What are the values, morals, and ethics of your community? Me, I am discussed that I can't let my children watch prime TV because of the suggestive commercials and crap they show. If this is what society now feels is OK, well... I might have a problem with society. For now I will go with walking in the shadows, waiting and searching for people like me, then it is still difficult to decide who would win out. Something tells me (History) No war has ever been won where the victor did not keep the moral high ground. Now we have to ask ourselves what is the moral high ground? Is one persons belief greater than anothers? To me it is simple... 1000 meters and you can be identified as a target just by the way you present yourself. You can tell a lot about a people if you just watch and listen. I have been in all the worst places you can imagine... Everywhere I go, I can see the same types of people. It doesn't matter what color, race, rich, poor, creed, sex, or religion. I have seen the best and worst in people that no border or ocean can separate. Until the day where the wicked by all accounts is not tolerated, I stand on watch in that which I can affect. Nomad or Community is not a choice, but a situation.
very true!
however, we must remember, even the humblest of folk can turn deadly, given they or their family may be starving.
if one was a good hearted person, one must think what they would be willing to do if they or their family may starve or die, then prepare for that beforehand, that somebody else may do the same............. or even worse.

Well this is the greatest question that there is.
There are so many variables it is imposible to comprehend.
Starting with what the disaster is that we are faced with, how much information we can recieve before, and after it.
We have chose the homestead plan, though we have contingencys for having to get out, and having to fight back in.
In general many can walk right over us, and never know we are here.
Other buried conexes in other places., If we have to make those choices.
Human nature says we will gang together into bands/groups.
In the worse case senerio, I would say colonys will pop up everywhere. The probability of hostility between them is 100%.
History proves human nature repetitive and consistantly.
Knowledge will be power, and loyalty will always be questionable.
Colonys will have to defend themselves, with booby traps, alarm systems, force.
It will be just as unsafe for a nomad to aproach a colony as it is for the colony to let them aproach.
Start picking up hitchhikers today. LOL
A nomad will face dangers of entering a colonys territory.
A colony will be easier to locate.
A nomad answers to noone, and noone will answer to them.
A colony will have enforced rules.
It is enevitable that in the worse case senerio, there will be both.
It will take time to sort out loyaltys, and settle in.
Only those that built the keep will enter the keep.
We all hope to never need our preps, I hope to Die that crazy guy.
But if it were to happen I see Feudal system type colonys.
New untrusted people on the outskirts.
Many conversations on this subject in my family, its a neverending question.
But, a colony will always know what it has, and have a defence plan.
A nomad will have no idea of what is behind the next tree, rock, or hill, and have to be a reactor more times than an actor.

Well this is the greatest question that there is.
There are so many variables it is imposible to comprehend.
Starting with what the disaster is that we are faced with, how much information we can recieve before, and after it.
We have chose the homestead plan, though we have contingencys for having to get out, and having to fight back in.
In general many can walk right over us, and never know we are here.
Other buried conexes in other places., If we have to make those choices.
Human nature says we will gang together into bands/groups.
In the worse case senerio, I would say colonys will pop up everywhere. The probability of hostility between them is 100%.
History proves human nature repetitive and consistantly.
Knowledge will be power, and loyalty will always be questionable.
Colonys will have to defend themselves, with booby traps, alarm systems, force.
It will be just as unsafe for a nomad to aproach a colony as it is for the colony to let them aproach.
Start picking up hitchhikers today. LOL
A nomad will face dangers of entering a colonys territory.
A colony will be easier to locate.
A nomad answers to noone, and noone will answer to them.
A colony will have enforced rules.
It is enevitable that in the worse case senerio, there will be both.
It will take time to sort out loyaltys, and settle in.
Only those that built the keep will enter the keep.
We all hope to never need our preps, I hope to Die that crazy guy.
But if it were to happen I see Feudal system type colonys.
New untrusted people on the outskirts.
Many conversations on this subject in my family, its a neverending question.
But, a colony will always know what it has, and have a defence plan.
A nomad will have no idea of what is behind the next tree, rock, or hill, and have to be a reactor more times than an actor.
I am sure colonies will from from bands of friends then may incorporate the nomads, but as said before, trust is going to be a huge issue.
There is the adage "safety in numbers."
However, an individual is a smaller target.
I am sure a lot of people will stay put then eventually when they run out of their provision they will seek out the colonies and hope for the best.

however, a colony can also be seen as a sitting duck. people will know they have supplys, and because of this they will become targets for other colonys, gangs, nomads, and anyone desperate enough to try. where as the nomad can run, the colony cant.
dont get me wrong i plan to homestead, but i can see the vertues of both.

If i were single, I would probably just disapear into the woods. I am not so we are homesteading as well.

I think that the answer to your question is different for everyone. Obviously, individuals with lesser degrees of equipment/knowledge/courage(?) are going to do better in groups. Then again, someone with a great array of equipment, all kinds of training, and guns and ammo out the wazoo, who is scared of the dark-isn't going to fare well. Myself, I'm a lifelong sportsman. Very comfortable in the outdoors, have training-and more importantly-practical experience in survivalism and living off the land. I opt for a minimum of equipment, and prefer to be solitary. My wife, however, is going to require a flush toilet and a shower, lol. There's too many variables, as people are too different regarding their needs/wants/skills/positives/negatives/etc. to answer your question. It basically comes down to what YOUR particular needs and wants are.

I've thought about this also. For me it would be best to just stay where I am. Due to my age and health, going it alone wouldn't last long. I have the communication with Ham Radio so therefore I have something of benefit. There is safety in numbers. You will always get some egg heads in the bunch, can't do anything about that. But that would be my choice.
The problem with living in No-Mans-Land I'm one of the few who speaks english. I didn't say they are bad people. Commo is a problem.
The No-Mans-Land is reference to a neighborhood between rich and poor. It's the buffer zone between the two.

I've thought about this also. For me it would be best to just stay where I am. Due to my age and health, going it alone wouldn't last long. I have the communication with Ham Radio so therefore I have something of benefit. There is safety in numbers. You will always get some egg heads in the bunch, can't do anything about that. But that would be my choice.
The problem with living in No-Mans-Land I'm one of the few who speaks english. I didn't say they are bad people. Commo is a problem.
The No-Mans-Land is reference to a neighborhood between rich and poor. It's the buffer zone between the two.
realisticly, how long do you think you'll last bugging in?

Latest posts

Back