Nomads or community

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just starting to prep and I feel it's a little to late but am not giving up. do you have any suggestions of things I should start saving. right now I mostly have rice and water.I know this won't last but again I am just starting any and all help is appreciated
The most important thing is that you have come to realize that there is a need to prep.
Many people prep for different scenarios. Natural disaster, warfare, economic collaps, nuclear winter, revelations, and many more.
Your preps should reflect what you are expecting.
Most important is to have a plan!
Next you need water, food, shelter, defense.
There are many threads on this site that you will find useful.
Browse the different threads.
I keep a pad and pen next to me at all times to jot down things i'm missing or suggestions i come across.
Lastly, if you are still having trouble, just ask.
We are all in this together.

The most important thing is that you have come to realize that there is a need to prep.
Many people prep for different scenarios. Natural disaster, warfare, economic collaps, nuclear winter, revelations, and many more.
Your preps should reflect what you are expecting.
Most important is to have a plan!
Next you need water, food, shelter, defense.
There are many threads on this site that you will find useful.
Browse the different threads.
I keep a pad and pen next to me at all times to jot down things i'm missing or suggestions i come across.
Lastly, if you are still having trouble, just ask.
We are all in this together.

Like he said. Rice and water is a good start but you don't have to limit yourself to those. I posted in another thread about using a dehydrator and vacumm seal bags for food storage. You can do meats, fruits and veggies that way, and they will last virtually forever. It's relatively cheap. All you have to do is spring for the dehydrator and buy a little bit more of what you already buy and just run it through and seal it and store it.

I didn't think of that. right now they are just in some containers. I looked online was trying to find something that will holp water without it becoming contaminated.

Honestly? Depending on how your planning to react post-shtf it might be better to get a purifier. You can get really cheap ones like the drinking straws with the reverse osmosis filters that you can stick in raw sewage and get fresh water through it. That way you don't have to store a lot of water.

Do you know any water purification techniques? Or how to get fresh water from salt?

NO sad to say I don't. I mean I must admitt I was one of those who didn't believe crap stinks. I will google it.

Or I can tell you here. Probally be faster. All you have to do to purify salt water to drinking water is take a pot and fill with salt water. Place it inside a plastic bag, with the bag angled so that when the water evaporates it rolls down the side and accumilates in the bottom (or you can use another container to cath it). Will give you a pretty good bit of fresh water.

I would also suggest watching survival shows such as Man vs Wild. Bear Grylls usually has some pretty decent ways of getting water abd food (although most of them are not exactly what you would call tasty)

We'll stay where we are for as long as we can, we have what we need and can take several more family units on our farm. We have a neighbor across the road that will be throwing in lots with us, so we'll have her land to work as well. My oldest daughter will be here with her 2 roommates and they've already built a small cabin below the hill from us so they won't be underfoot. Personally I think with a community, if you have bad apples, they will need to be culled like you would a rogue animal. Life is too short for BS promises about doing better.

Renee, do you live in an area that you will need to evacuate from or is it safe enough to stay put for awhile? If you're going to need to leave, I would do more dehydrated foods rather than cans due to weight as long as you'll have a water source.

For me, I have been solo most of my life. Even though I belong to a couple of local preppers group I still consider myself solo to some degree, as Im getting older and developing trust with some of the local folks I am starting to re-evaluate. As that's been said several time above regarding the pro's and con's I believe vital resources (water food and fortified structures) will play a significant part in our decision to stay or 'nomad' It is imperative to network, you need to know the people within the network before SHTF trust is the most significant part of any networked groups, you must evaluate the psych of the group, if the psych is confrontational in ideology Vs surviving and being evasive then think long and hard before joining such a group, you must be willing to defend your ground and be prepared for such a situation but NOT go looking for trouble or be caught in the open in a indefensible position. Geographics and Situation will be the deciding factor not wants or plans! an o'l saying for the never ending loop 'plan for what you haven't planned for'

I'm glad I'm from the rual South . It's Me and my Family when it comes to prepping and I can count on most of my nieghbors to take care of their self . So as to the theme of this thread its Independant just out side of a community . You know its only a small step from Nomad to marroder (spelling? ) . Then you become a threat to be dealt with .

I'm glad I'm from the rual South . It's Me and my Family when it comes to prepping and I can count on most of my nieghbors to take care of their self . So as to the theme of this thread its Independant just out side of a community . You know its only a small step from Nomad to marroder (spelling? ) . Then you become a threat to be dealt with .

Agree, a perceived threat would get one just as dead as an actual threat, reason I have multiple stationary places I can go and hunker down and limit my times outside the comfort zone(s)

Being nomadic is only a short term solution. And, it's a pretty loathsome one, as your targets will be your fellow survivors, no doubt. (which also has many inherent risks). Also, you may go through stretches where you do without, over empty areas.

Personally, being in a settlement, that is fairly remote, is the best option. Agriculture is going to be the key for food needs, and having a stable water supply is again more preferable. The downside here is being a target for the above type nomads. However, historically, those being seiged are favored, as they can hold out longer and have a defensible position. At some point, if you can inflict enough loss on the nomads, they will move on to safer targets.

The other route, is being a settlement, that is then beholden to a large nomadic force. In exchange for protection (from the nomads as much as other nomads), the settlement provides for the nomads as well, vs. being raided by them. Tribute, in other words. A smart, outnumbered settlement will go this route (at least for a time).

Latest posts

Back