Nomads or community

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah a community is always better and there is always going to be that dumb trader in the group but that's when you shun him and kick him out I look at all I can do and think but what if I get hurt or tired I can't always be on guard so the bigger the group the better but not to big

Yeah a community is always better and there is always going to be that dumb trader in the group but that's when you shun him and kick him out I look at all I can do and think but what if I get hurt or tired I can't always be on guard so the bigger the group the better but not to big

It also depends on what's going on. If we are all starving then it's going to be every man for himself. Pretty much what happened in the French Revolution. If it comes down to the community breaking down completely, then I'll hold them off as long as I can to give you young fellas as much time as I can so you can get out of Dodge. Be the best I could do.

Better to be prepared for nothing, then unprepared for something.

I've thought about this also. For me it would be best to just stay where I am. Due to my age and health, going it alone wouldn't last long. I have the communication with Ham Radio so therefore I have something of benefit. There is safety in numbers. You will always get some egg heads in the bunch, can't do anything about that. But that would be my choice.
The problem with living in No-Mans-Land I'm one of the few who speaks english. I didn't say they are bad people. Commo is a problem.
The No-Mans-Land is reference to a neighborhood between rich and poor. It's the buffer zone between the two.

Sure you can do something with the egg heads, in a pinch they can can be fodder, in a worse pinch they can be food.

many havent looked beond the person their about to eat either. in most situations, theres plenty to eat, ya just haveta look!
I agree, to a trained person, there is food everywhere. Almost everywhere, Exept on dalmers pass, and a few others LOL

I agree, to a trained person, there is food everywhere. Almost everywhere, Exept on dalmers pass, and a few others LOL
bet there was on Dalmers pass too, hell they could have eaten snow and gone w/o food for weeks, as long as they had that snow water.

There is one very important thing to remember, one which I have personally see; that is how people react under stress. It's totally different then what you think. When I was in combat I was very surprised. All the people who said they would never make it out alive; didn't. Everyone has a breaking point. That I personally saw, and there is no way to predict. People react in different ways under stress.
No, people are not on my menu.

There is one very important thing to remember, one which I have personally see; that is how people react under stress. It's totally different then what you think. When I was in combat I was very surprised. All the people who said they would never make it out alive; didn't. Everyone has a breaking point. That I personally saw, and there is no way to predict. People react in different ways under stress.
No, people are not on my menu.
I agree that stress brings out the worst in people. And as soon as you give up mentally your done. The real bad thing is the way the stress will bring down a community if its not handled quick. One of a few things other than disease that will ruin everyone's day

I've thought about this also. For me it would be best to just stay where I am. Due to my age and health, going it alone wouldn't last long. I have the communication with Ham Radio so therefore I have something of benefit. There is safety in numbers. You will always get some egg heads in the bunch, can't do anything about that. But that would be my choice.
The problem with living in No-Mans-Land I'm one of the few who speaks English. I didn't say they are bad people. Commo is a problem.
The No-Mans-Land is reference to a neighborhood between rich and poor. It's the buffer zone between the two.
Out here in California language is also a problem. Where I live I am surrounded by koreans, chinese, arabs.... I too find my self right on Main Street in No Man's Land as well.
My problem with bugging out is the kids. My problem with staying put is desperation of others wanting what I have. Not to say there won't be people trying to take what I have out in the "wilderness." I still debate as to what i will do. there are pros and cons to both.

As far as stress goes there are the two main categories of "fight or Flight." I too have seen people react so different under the exact same conditions.

For example earthquakes. I live in earthquake county, and I have seen people during an earthquake, and it doesn't have to be an overly strong one, run, freeze, panic, have emotional break downs, search for the strong, do absolutely nothing (ignore it), and handle the situation. People are a funny species.

biggest thing i can think of is IF you can find trust-worthy people to band together with. as was mentioned earlier,, you've bound to end up with one or two nuts in the bunch. but this will be your family/loved ones we're talking about here.

Bug in or bug out? Nomad or community? both of these questions are asked all to often with out any real resolve and with good reason. How can anyone here really say that when the SHTF I'm doing "this" period. To say your bugging in without a doubt is foolish. And to plan for only one of several SHTF scenarios is a plan to fail. We should all plan for as many contingencies as possible and not limit ourselves any more than we already are i.e...Financially. Think outside the box. I ask you this how many of you have only one means of starting a fire, one means of procuring water, one means of shelter ...etc...etc? I doubt a single person reading this post said they fit that description. Robert Burns said it best "the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" to paraphrase, have a plan B. I know this is slightly off tangent but i feel it gets to the point without being definitive. No one knows for sure with 100% certainty what will happen all I'm saying is leave your self some options. Primary. Alternate. Contingency. Emergency P.A.C.E everything you do. I'm not trying to talk down to anyone or piss anyone off. I just feel like those questions are asked to often and rarely do i ever hear a response that makes sense. So Jericho what do you think, are you a Nomad or a Homesteader or could you potentially be both?

It also depends on what's going on. If we are all starving then it's going to be every man for himself. Pretty much what happened in the French Revolution. If it comes down to the community breaking down completely, then I'll hold them off as long as I can to give you young fellas as much time as I can so you can get out of Dodge. Be the best I could do.

Better to be prepared for nothing, then unprepared for something.
The best you could do?
That would be the ultimate act of Sacrifice.I tip my hat to you Sir.

me personally, im going to try and homestead with my family, and probably try and scavange whats left of the city from time to time.
tbh, i think if your in a position to nomad i think that would be the way to go, untill the gang population settles down and trys to build on their civilization.
another pro to homesteading in a group town type, if there are traveling barter trucks, you'll most likely be one of their stops.
I'm just starting to prep and I feel it's a little to late but am not giving up. do you have any suggestions of things I should start saving. right now I mostly have rice and water.I know this won't last but again I am just starting any and all help is appreciated

Latest posts

Back