No preparation

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would keep a mental note of where the local cattle are, and, at least build a smoker. When SHTF and everyone is looting the stores, you can be out in a quiet field quartering up a cow and dragging it to your car (then smoke house). Apologies to the farmer...

The farmers in my neck of the woods would shoot and skin you.

Johnny has not been on here since July.

Last edited:
The more I have thought about your situation. Since you have never prepared before. You may want to head to the nearest FEMA camp that opens up.

Love it. But it's true. On this forum, that's the biggest insult I could think of, yet it is the truth. Something is better than nothing.

I would keep a mental note of where the local cattle are, and, at least build a smoker. When SHTF and everyone is looting the stores, you can be out in a quiet field quartering up a cow and dragging it to your car (then smoke house). Apologies to the farmer...
The farmers in my neck of the woods would shoot and skin you.

I am one of those 'farmers'. No need to skin you. Come after the cattle and you'll turn into dog food. But don't let that stop you, I do need the dog food.

I have some escape routes, the mountains are reachable in about 90 minutes by car, there are rivers and many abandoned houses.
The escape routes need to be mapped, planned and tested. How long in car, bike or foot? Will they be over used in an emergency or even totally blocked? Which of the old houses would be the best, can you start making it better without anybody noticing, KEEP IT LOOKING ABANDONED, does it have an overview to the street leading to it, how far can you see someone coming, does it have an escape route, can you get a small hidden storage space made there, access to water there, start checking the small paths made by animals there so you know where to place traps for food...many questions needing answers BEFORE the SHTF.
Your family all know something, start watching them as they do something, ask questions, write notes, practice doing all those things in front of them till you get it down right in your head. Get books and read HOW TO do things. Practice EVERYTHING at least one time. Instinct is more reliable than thinking. Instinct is faster to react and will save your life. Shoot your crossbow till the string breaks, then get enough reserve strings and bolts to last as long as you think you will need.
You are in Italy, get some bird nets. Many Italians catch the birds migrating from Europe to Africa as food. Your shotgun, is it still functioning well? Ammo? Remember: guns make noise, noise draws attention, attention draws PEOPLE. You do not want people around you if the SHTF. Crossbow for hunting, BB or pellet gun also. The shotgun is only for PROTECTION and last hope...
Practice and get together with others near to practice with them and learn with and from each other.
Live free, Gary

If memory serves Johnny lives in Italy. I don't know if they have FEMA camps there. Maybe an Italian equivalent? It is a lot harder when you have indigent family members, or for the elderly, and those in poor health.

Start with life saving plans to have water. Is there a place in the mountains you can go where there is a stream? Get some pool shock with nothing else added. It will go a very long way in keeping your water from making you sick. Next, learn how to grow potatoes. They truly are life sustaining! Ask best way to grow them for your area on the Garden part of this board.

The cheapest thing to buy that keeps forever is white rice and beans. Pasta keeps forever too. Get hybrid tomato seeds and store properly. Begin there and then you can add on later.

One thing I would add to that.... powdered gravy mix, just add water and heat... makes the rice and beans go down better I think if they are mixed with a little gravy

As everyone said .... water,food,shelter are the main things to focus.

For animals i would choose chickens mainly because meat with eggs are nice with not much needs to daily tending to them.

For the God/Faith issue mentioned here. Im an atheist ( 95% of my country is so maybe i ended up being one too by default ) i dont believe in god but i believe that faith in god can help you push through hardships. Believing in some divine protection may be the last thing that keeps you going and not give up.

You got armed neighbours which is nice. But are you sure that those nice people that are waving at you now or chating with you all smiling wont be the same people that will rush your house for supplies? Desperate times will make people go crazy so you have to be absolutely sure if you can trust them.
If not then prepare ahead for their possible attack.

Also here

https://www.doomsdayprepperforums.com/threads/tips-tricks-and-facts.12070/
Nothing specific there but still some usefull info to keep in mind.

Latest posts

Back