No preparation

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not knowing your situation nor the area, best I can come up with

Food, water, battery powered radio, lighting (torch) and batteries is what I would start with. If you're in the city and you have trusting friends and or family in the country side (rural area), set up an agreement with them about staying their if things begin to get bad, have a map of all possible escape routs under various situations and keep a bag (bug out bag) of items you will need to get their. Keep the family together, no one wonders off when SHTF, keep an ear to current event surrounding you, you're the only one that can make the determination when to bug out we can't. Most importantly, stay focused.

Don't count on a vehicle, plan to travel by foot.

Being mentally prepared is more than half your preparation, don't know what situation you prepping for, but breaking it down into sections might help and do a small bit at a time as money and opportunity present itself. Improvise You don't need the best backpack on the market you need something to carry supplies in.

Do you have any advice for a family that is not physically or mentally prepared for an emergency?
I fear it will become a slaughterhouse of sheep.
Perhaps a mountain escape but without provisions would be only a slow agony.

What can I do with very little money?

Start with life saving plans to have water. Is there a place in the mountains you can go where there is a stream? Get some pool shock with nothing else added. It will go a very long way in keeping your water from making you sick. Next, learn how to grow potatoes. They truly are life sustaining! Ask best way to grow them for your area on the Garden part of this board.

The cheapest thing to buy that keeps forever is white rice and beans. Pasta keeps forever too. Get hybrid tomato seeds and store properly. Begin there and then you can add on later.

Thanks for the valuable and useful advice.
I will briefly describe the situation: we live in the countryside, we are six people, mostly elderly, except me and my fiancée, so a walk would be impossible.
I have some escape routes, the mountains are reachable in about 90 minutes by car, there are rivers and many abandoned houses.
But all of our supplies are in our house, and that's a big risk.

I have an old shotgun, a crossbow and i am about to buy an handgun.
The neighborhood is good and armed (they go hunting).
Cousins and friends could reach us in a few minutes from the city, 1 hour walk.

The climate is mild all year round.
There is little game but there are many fruit trees.

I think I should increase my water, food and medicine supplies in the short term.

I always advise everyone to think about what you need most to live. Water, food, shelter and security. In that order. Start with a way to access and purify water. If you can’t buy a water filter then learn how to make them. Food is as basic as starting to get a little extra with each trip to the store and build up a pantry over time. Shelter can be as basic as learning to use branches and leaves to keep you dry and warm. And security is a way to defend yourself from others that would take what you and your family need and or harm you. Every one of these four areas can be accomplished simply or With the most expensive gear out there. Everyone starts somewhere and most do with minimal resources. Over time you can add to your preps and one day you will be able to look at your preparedness with the satisfaction of knowing you can handle just about anything life can throw at you. All it takes is that first step.

Do you have any advice for a family that is not physically or mentally prepared for an emergency?
I fear it will become a slaughterhouse of sheep.
Perhaps a mountain escape but without provisions would be only a slow agony.

What can I do with very little money?

As far as mentally prepared? You must rely on yourself with the help of the Lord. Do you ask for guidance daily? Do you pray for your guardian angels to put a hedge of protection around you?

You MUST get mentally strong! Stop worrying and start planning and preparing. Worry and fear are USELESS!! Say that until you feel it to your bones.

As far as mentally prepared? You must rely on yourself with the help of the Lord. Do you ask for guidance daily? Do you pray for your guardian angels to put a hedge of protection around you?

You MUST get mentally strong! Stop worrying and start planning and preparing. Worry and fear are USELESS!! Say that until you feel it to your bones.

Every day my thoughts and works are turned to God.
I pray often, asking to be strong and honest when the time of trial will come; and yes, I also pray my guardian angel to protect me.

Thanks again for your help, I'm reading the forum, it's great.
I will keep you updated on my progress!

I started learning preparedness and survival when I was very young, growing up in the country, gardening, etc. Improvising random things was everyday for us, and I had a lot of siblings so we ate whatever could be bought in large quantities and for not too much money - a lot of rice, beans, pasta, canned food, etc.
I've always had anxiety and been the type of person who imagines worst-case scenarios. It's not really very good, but it got me started thinking, what would happen in everything we have disappeared somehow. So I started thinking what we truly couldn't live without, and what we could store or improvise to make sure we had what we needed. I was probably 10 or so when I put together what I would consider my first "bug out bag," it left a lot to be desired but it contained the basic necessities - a little food, water bottle, hygiene items, a few supplies that could come in handy camping. There were hurricanes that year and I had heard people talking about being prepared. As I got older I improved this bag and eventually created a list of "50 survival essentials" that I still take into consideration today though as I have learned more over the years I have further refined it (with a lot of help from people here too).
I didn't really know that there was a name for what I was doing when I first started; "prepping" wasn't in my vocabulary, but I've always had that mindset. When I did learn about prepping, I imagined it was something super sophisticated and I would need special supplies and things to be a true prepper. And while I have learned that supplies and gadgets and tools and all that are nice (and my favorite way to spend money) I have also learned they are not what make you a prepper.
You have to first of all, want to be prepared. Believe that it is the smart thing to do. Then, get a little basic knowledge (what do humans need to survive) and skills (what do I need to be able to do to survive), and with that, a few basic supplies (enough to keep you alive while you improve your skills and transition to a new way of life, if needed), and from there a little creativity and hard work will get you a long way.

The best, cheapest and quietest source for meat is rabbit. A single doe and buck can produce around 400 lbs per year! In bad times, nothing can compete with the feed to meat ratio of rabbits. Get a book on line. Rabbits are easy to raise, but you do have to have a bit of knowledge.

When everything falls apart, meat will be expensive and hard to get. Be prepared.

a thought came to mind,you said your family is more old than young,still think about ,that they have knowledge,use that when things fall apart,they must know how to manage in hardships.
you and your girlfriend provide muscle and youth.
and if you live in a small village it's far better for survival than a large town, roads can be blocked,thus preventing outsiders to just drive into your village, take GoergiaPeachies advice about rabbits into consideration, rabbit meat lean on fat but a good source of protein.

This is what I will do, I remember that my paternal grandparents (rip) were shepherds of sheep and also had rabbits and chickens.
My dad did that job for a while, I'll ask him.
My maternal grandmother and my mother are skilled with flour (pasta, bread, pizzas).
My fiancee is passionate about cosmetics (soaps, deodorants, etc.).

If I think about it, I'm the only one who doesn't know how to do anything practical.

This is what I will do, I remember that my paternal grandparents (rip) were shepherds of sheep and also had rabbits and chickens.
My dad did that job for a while, I'll ask him.
My maternal grandmother and my mother are skilled with flour (pasta, bread, pizzas).
My fiancee is passionate about cosmetics (soaps, deodorants, etc.).

If I think about it, I'm the only one who doesn't know how to do anything practical.

You have all kinds of valuable resources! Be the Organizer and put a plan together and you will be in much better shape than most. Not being in a large town and preparing ahead, you have a great advantage!

He may not shelter you from danger but He has given you more strength than you know with every difficult situation you have lived through thus far and He will continue to walk with you. I no longer ask for strength, but instead thank Him for the strength that I was overlooking in myself. I am also without many funds to prep but I have come a long way simply by purchasing at second hand stores etc. I have a backpack for every family member, even my 5 yr old. I know nothing compared to the rest of the bunch here but I research something new every day and with every piece of information, I grow stronger mentally. Every piece of produce I buy, I experiment with propagating (is that the correct word?) and I now have tomatoes, basil, garlic, lettuce, onions, and potatoes growing. You can do it!

Latest posts

Back