No Power

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc pops

Reaction score
Our power went out at 1030ish last night and did not come back on till 0545 this A.M.. This got me to thinking. Yup we have a geny, yup can get the same water we drink w/o power, cook with gas, have lighting outside via solar.
We have candles, kerosene/hurricane lanterns, and Coleman lanterns. How long would this last?
Security, we have a core group, from 20-30 miles out. They would be in bound. But when?
I only have a half of a tank in my yota, what if it is short term, long term. I would have to show up for work the first day for sure. Then what. I only. Had a half tank. Then we were back to security, I work (2) counties away 54 miles. That leaves my wife and 94 Y/O grandmother at home alone. Yes we do have (2) good biting dog's, yes my wife is armed. My son is about 15 miles out. I don't worry about me, the trappings of the world. See I took a year off some time ago and lived off the land for about 9 month to see if I could. Lost 35 lbs. need a hair cut and a shave. I can do this again, we live in Fl. but to do this with others in tow.
Yup to restocking of fuel, look deeper into solar power, many a couple more dogs. Yea, I will have to get that one past the wife. Then there is more feed to stock. Horse, hog, chickens, goats, dogs.
How much stores is enough? How much garden? Maybe the concentric circle hidden garden?
2 people would have a hard time watching over our property till the group got there. How long till people from the metropolitan areas started to show up. How long till my neighbor's run out of food? He says he will"hunt & trap", though I have never seen or heard tell of him doing it. They have 5 kids. The neighbors north of them have ??
So how do you get those who live for immediate gratification to see the light. Wow.
Things to ponder??
Good luck, be Safe, and God bless you!

odd, we had no power yesterday here,the other house had partly,I boild me some water to get coffee with my esbit-cooker, put it on the stove and that was it. my only worry was if it continues my freezer with all goods says good by..no problems now.
have been thinking, mad-Vlad is about to cut gas-supply from us,so perhaps I have slightly colder in here this winter

We are in the process of emptying our freezers. We had 4 down to 2. No kids at home any more. We want to get down to the small one and use the big one only when we slaughter or harvest game. Just for the reason you described. Stay warm brother.
Good luck, be safe, God bless

You too Brother!
I wouldn't have that problem,but I keep something stocked there if I have to get my kids here in an emergency, something they like to eat ;)

God Bless You and watch your 6

we've had the electric go out here i don't know how many times..on 2 occasions it was out 4 hours one time..and almost 2 hours another time...if it wasnt for the 3 oil lamps..we weren't prepared for the 4 hours at all..

typically, these types of things occur when it's dark never in the height of summer

We live at the end of a power grid. This is an every summer thing. However for some reason this time it got my mind to turning.
God bless

Our power went out at 1030ish last night and did not come back on till 0545 this A.M.. This got me to thinking. Yup we have a geny, yup can get the same water we drink w/o power, cook with gas, have lighting outside via solar.
We have candles, kerosene/hurricane lanterns, and Coleman lanterns. How long would this last?
Security, we have a core group, from 20-30 miles out. They would be in bound. But when?
I only have a half of a tank in my yota, what if it is short term, long term. I would have to show up for work the first day for sure. Then what. I only. Had a half tank. Then we were back to security, I work (2) counties away 54 miles. That leaves my wife and 94 Y/O grandmother at home alone. Yes we do have (2) good biting dog's, yes my wife is armed. My son is about 15 miles out. I don't worry about me, the trappings of the world. See I took a year off some time ago and lived off the land for about 9 month to see if I could. Lost 35 lbs. need a hair cut and a shave. I can do this again, we live in Fl. but to do this with others in tow.
Yup to restocking of fuel, look deeper into solar power, many a couple more dogs. Yea, I will have to get that one past the wife. Then there is more feed to stock. Horse, hog, chickens, goats, dogs.
How much stores is enough? How much garden? Maybe the concentric circle hidden garden?
2 people would have a hard time watching over our property till the group got there. How long till people from the metropolitan areas started to show up. How long till my neighbor's run out of food? He says he will"hunt & trap", though I have never seen or heard tell of him doing it. They have 5 kids. The neighbors north of them have ??
So how do you get those who live for immediate gratification to see the light. Wow.
Things to ponder??
Good luck, be Safe, and God bless you!
Lots of good points doc. I have thought of trying to go without electricity for just a weekend, but with the wife being ill, no a/c isn't an option. I would love to practice, as I feel it is only a matter of time before it becomes a reality. Maybey this winter I can talk her into it. I think security is going to be tough for everyone. As you pointed out, it's not just marauders from the cities to deal with, but neighbors in your community. Even good people can loose their values when their children are hungry. I actually had working on the fence (so I can get two outside dogs) on my work list for this weekend. I really don't have too much more to get the property closed off, it's just been so hot that I lost any passion for finishing it. I am trying to get an lp regulator for my generator so I don't have to worry about gasoline, but even with a 500gal tank, how long will it last? You can't prepare for everything, but I think learning to do things without power will help ease us all into what I fear is on the horizon. I keep working towards goals I set for prepping, but sure wish I had a small group to share the work together with. Well, was good to hear from you doc. Sometimes if you think of all we need to do at once it can seem overwhelming. I guess we just keep plugging along.

We went without for two weeks with basically no problems. We did put the freezers on generators. The part I hated was doing the laundry by hand, but you do what you need done.

aah,the glorious feeling of doing laundry by hand ;)
I sometimes practise that here...just did it with my boots...no smell, fresh :)
but would I live rural,that's something I would practise alot..just to be on the safe side what to do if there wouldn't be any electricity

not a dumb question..might look into wash tubs and washboards..mainly wash boards..their self explanatory at least up to a point..

now you have to help me here friends, what do you call that pump you use when your toilet is clogged?? has a wooden shaft and a rubber thing...
any way, have a brand new one,which I use if I do my washing by hand..put my dirty laundry in a bucket and I use this pump and well,like I would do butter in a churn, up and down...semi-automatic ;)
then I just rinse the laundry..

pump you use when your toilet is clogged?? plunger?...
they're
also good for clogged sink drains as well...use a stopper in one sink while using the plunger in the other sink..that is if you have a double sink.

pump you use when your toilet is clogged?? plunger?...
they're
also good for clogged sink drains as well...use a stopper in one sink while using the plunger in the other sink..that is if you have a double sink.

that's the word I was searching....
multifunctional thingy ;) I learned it from my grandma..she never had a washing machine

weird...power out here and there..any solarflares you know of??

not that i know of..but yet i aint been keeping up with solar flares for a while now...

now you have to help me here friends, what do you call that pump you use when your toilet is clogged?? has a wooden shaft and a rubber thing...
any way, have a brand new one,which I use if I do my washing by hand..put my dirty laundry in a bucket and I use this pump and well,like I would do butter in a churn, up and down...semi-automatic ;)
then I just rinse the laundry..
Just have two plungers, one for the toilet and one for the laundry!:)

Latest posts

Back