No money to prep

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A great place to get canned food is at a scratch and dent place (usually a place that carries day-old bread).

Scratch and dent canned food is perfectly wholesome, so long as you avoid bulging and rusty cans.

Usually, these canned products are sold for less than 10 cents on the dollar. These foods are not even near the expiration date.

If you go this route, white masking tape and a sharpie marker to relabel cans if the labels are falling off. Put product and expiration date on the can, and anything else appropriate for your organization system.
Kind of like U G O united grocery outlet .

Want to cut the cable cord? This will free up some cash.

ONE: Get a digital antenna. These go for about $10 from Amazon. Seriously. Hook it up right where your cable comes into the house. You'll get around 50 digital channels including all major networks, for FREE each month. Any TV hooked up via cable, will access that antenna (and no, you don't ever need to move the antenna, like the old days, and yes, it is crystal clear digital TV).

TWO: Get a mobile hotspot from your cell provider. Typically about $20 a month, which is cheaper than other internet options, and works great. It's a separate unit, and portable, to provide wifi at home under your mobile plan.

THREE: If you really like all of the movies and premium shows, etc., get an Amazon Firestick (and then get the software to "jailbreak" it). Then, you'll have pretty much everything. It's a ONE time fee of around $80 or less.

Free up up to a couple of hundred every month this way (between cable, wifi, and channels).

On the canned foods, you can often do just as well with sales and coupons. And with your normal selection (and food you are used to). Dollar stores often sell canned veggies at two cans for a buck.

If you're wiggy about the firestick bit (it still is technically legal), you can still get a lot of shows subscribing to streaming services like Hulu, Netflix, etc. it still combines at less than cable. I STILL like the antenna though too, as I can just turn on the TV and not worry about streaming, when in the mood for it, and watch network shows. (and that it's free).

Have you made a budget yet? So you know exactly what you are spending, and how.

You are bound to be able to put together £5 each month. You could invest it in some canned food.

Another thought, if you have zero to spend, consider selling something?

You are obviously using internet to write this post, do you pay for home internet, or use your phone?

If you pay, consider cancelling it and using your cell phone to tether internet to your computer.

Just cutting out junk like buying sodas and snacks can save you a lot each month. It also helps make your waist line thinner while making your wallet fatter.

Sometimes, eating healthier is more expensive though. Why do you think more poor people are fat? It isn't that they eat a ton of food... It's that a value meal at McDonalds costs less money, time, and effort than a good healthy meal. Whether a case of water, or a case of soda, I'm paying about the same. (I can do tap water, but not the wife).

I have gotten good at doing meals for about $5 per person though.

Sometimes, eating healthier is more expensive though. Why do you think more poor people are fat? It isn't that they eat a ton of food... It's that a value meal at McDonalds costs less money, time, and effort than a good healthy meal. Whether a case of water, or a case of soda, I'm paying about the same. (I can do tap water, but not the wife).

I have gotten good at doing meals for about $5 per person though.
I can always cook much cheaper than eating out, even the value meals. It does take time though, and it is just too convient and easy to pu fast food for most. Big pots of soups and stews are great to stretch your food budget, but they aren’t very good for taking with you on the road for lunch.

Prep the food at home, keep a single burner propane/butane stove and small pan in the vehicle.

Convenience and entertainment are the biggest money wasters, cutting back on those two would free up a good bit of money. I know a family down in town that always complains they don’t have enough money but between the both of them they spend over $400 a month on smokes and chew, yes they have it budgeted in as a monthly expense but during the winter months they struggle putting food on the table for them and the kids. I’m not coming down on smokers at all me being a pipe smoker but don’t complain about not having enough money, like most things in life it boils down to determination.

Never could get poor folks who do those habits. They are simply FAR too expensive for indulging in. How much is a pack of cigs these days? Like $6 or more? And some smoke 2 packs a day? That's like eating lunch out every day money.

A pack of cigarettes is bad enough, but I see signs at the gas stations for a carton of them for over 50 bucks. It’s really insane to pay so much for something that kills you.

Just before the end of 2000, I bought about 6 cartons of cigarettes (at about $30 each).

I figured, what better barter tool if all the computers crashed? (for those of you who can remember the whole Y2K bug scare, lol)....

Think about it, it's a good that some people NEED or at least highly want, it's easily divisible, easily carried, etc. It's a pretty good trade commodity.

Ended up gradually selling them off to my smoker friends at a slight loss.

I always thought spirit's to be a better bartering item given it's multi purpose but not easily transportable.

Here in Washington the cost of living is rising practically every 6 month. Even the lower end of the middle class are struggling let alone the poor. Housing, transportation, food, medical and taxes are not poor and retired friendly at all and it's starting to hit the middle class, housing alone is 157% above the national average. Washington is good for going in debt! the only good thing are the utilities one of the lowest in the Country.

I used to smoke a pack a day. That would cost me $9.16 here, every day. $70 dollars a week. That's a car payment!

Now I smoke a pipe or hand rolled, and it costs me about $30 a month. I still feel like that's a lot.

I don't want to give up all my vices, lol. Leave me something.

And yeah, the average apartment rent here is $1500, making $40 grand a year you can forget owning a home by the lake. Prices for food and gas get noticeably cheaper one county away.

I am counting the days until the daughter finishes High School, and goes to college. So I can move someplace I can pee off my deck. That's all I want!

Honestly, this condo stuff is crazy. We had a druggie alcoholic neighbor who would masturbate naked on his deck, I ended up having to take care of it (he moved). People sell drugs in the parking lot every once in a while, the cops are here at least once a week for domestic calls. And my wife assures me this a great place to live.

I would honestly have to move from a place like that. . . my main concern would be for your daughters safety. Turds doing that off balconies & drugs being sold in the parking lot. . . hoping everyone knows how to defend themselves and stays alert to their surroundings?

I go talk to people. That's all it takes, just polite conversation. The daughter is savvy enough, and honestly its not like Memphis. Its not gang related stuff, its just problem people who can be talked to, thankfully. I've only had one drunk who had to be manhandled off the property. I'm not really one to call the cops for something that can be taken care of easily.

Her boyfriend is a semi-pro boxer, lol, so that helps too. I trust him to watch out for her when they are out and about. And she carries pepper spray, and is smart enough to look around.

But yes, we are moving. I am getting old, I don't have time for the stupidity. There was a shooting at the mall last year, in the parking lot. It's past time to go.

Besides, I'm a rural river rat, this place is NOT my home!

I'm born in this city,5th generation,but my long term plans are to relocate and I've already scouted a couple of places..
in the time inbetween I prep,budget prep,take small steps,accumulate gear,learn or try to new skills...and hope there is time enough..

I always thought spirit's to be a better bartering item given it's multi purpose but not easily transportable.

Here in Washington the cost of living is rising practically every 6 month. Even the lower end of the middle class are struggling let alone the poor. Housing, transportation, food, medical and taxes are not poor and retired friendly at all and it's starting to hit the middle class, housing alone is 157% above the national average. Washington is good for going in debt! the only good thing are the utilities one of the lowest in the Country.
With the lucrative welfare system, housing subsidys, food stamps, handouts, etc, etc, in this country there really isn't any truly "poor" people anymore. Another problem is that most people seem to think they are entitled to live the good life, but without putting in the time and effort to achieve it. As I've always said; being poor shouldn't be comfortable.

Good point on the first aid! Learning as much as you can not only helps with prepping, but these are skills that will help you and your family throughout your life.
Learn as many survival skills as you can. You can look them up on YouTube and then put them into practice in your daily life. A dentist or doctor with proper tools in a SHTF scenario is invaluable.

Latest posts

Back