Nice evening.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rolnor

Reaction score
I have got two oil lamps, its nice with really old-school stuff, they are deffinetly EMP-safe. I will by more kerosene, easy to underextimate the amount I need, if the SHTF in wintertime its dark most of the day here so you dont want to live in darkness.
1649444154672.jpeg

Some oil lamps are always helpful.
You can burn many different fuels and they last a long time.
My brother and I used to make them out of pimento jars and used shoe laces for the wicks.
Even those burned for a long time.

Yes, I think mine will burn for 20hours on one full tank.
As you say, you can make them from almost every jar. Its superior to candles.

For general camp area light I prefer kerosene lamps to the harsh glare of Colman lanterns. Growing up we had one Colman lantern and one kerosene lantern. The kerosene lantern would run all night to luminate the general camp area. We took a whiskey box and enforced it with strapping tape, inside the Colman lantern, one gallon of Colman fuel, the kerosene lantern and one quart of kerosene. Everything you needed.

We have 8 oil lamps mounted on the wooden walls at our cabin, placed strategically in each room. When things get really bad, I have room-darkening curtains on all windows that hang from grommets that are mounted in such a way they can be folded up like an accordion to the 3' wooden wall space between my windows. We know they won't block light inside, but they will be useful to conceal presence in daytime to delay for a few minutes anny attack from maurauders. Folded up, there is no danger of fire when the lights go out. We've tried them out and laid in a lot of fumeless oil. Got them at Lehmans and mine are mounted on wood exactly as shown in the pic.

Of course we have a battery lantern down in our little cement semi-underground storm shelter we had installed last year bought down the road "a piece". We have laid in lots of candles and have a pro;ane screw-on coleman lantern. I think we're fixed for lighting. If not, we'll just go to bed when it get's dark, like our grandparents who lived on farms did back in the day. Mine didn't have lights when I was a little girl. In fact my grandmother didn't get electricty and indoor plumbing until 1979 after grandadaddy died. My cousin (who was caring for her there) moved her into the city where he could better help her. She raised him after his mother died in childbirth having him. She was the only mom he ever knew.

Latest posts

Back