News lately RE: Inflation at new highs. What are your thoughts? Thank you in advance.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own my own home with a mortgage that I'm paying off, and I own my car free and clear . . . although I only have about 1/3 of an acre.

Thank you for your concern, though.
You can still do a small garden if you want with a 1/3 acre. I would be putting in edibles for landscape. Just my thoughts if you are very limited. Why did I think you were renting? If I remember right, you said at one time that you had limited storage which made me think you were living in an apartment or maybe condo/townhouse? And in a "community"??

You can still do a small garden if you want with a 1/3 acre. I would be putting in edibles for landscape. Just my thoughts if you are very limited. Why did I think you were renting? If I remember right, you said at one time that you had limited storage which made me think you were living in an apartment or maybe condo/townhouse? And in a "community"??
My house is in a 55+ community. I moved here 2 years ago, and was in a smaller place 2 years ago. I have been on this forum for about 4 years, so maybe that's where the misunderstanding came from.

I have been planting lots of prickly pear cactus around certain parts of my home (edible and medicinal qualities, and it can be fermented into an alcoholic beverage).

Thank you. And I've also grown tomatoes (although none right now), watermellon, cantelope, and spinach.

What I want to grow (but haven't) are sweet potatoes. I still need to do my research, as I hear that growing sweet potatoes can be pretty involved.
Can you grow sugar beets there? I guess you could grow something pretty much year round there?

You don’t need to make a lot of money to be financially sound. You do need to live below your means and save though. Seems that discipline is difficult for most people.

That right there.
Get command of your personal fiances.
Map out your incoming and outgoing monies. See where you can cut back and save.

Sweet potatoes are easy. Sprout in water, then bury root side down.
Thank you.

I am now in North Central Florida, and the climate borders on tropical . . . so I think I could pull off sweet potatoes and sugar beets.

Sweet potato chips seem like a practical way to store healthy carbs for months without refrigeration.

I was going to experiment with the Asian/Hawaiian dark purple sweet potato, as it seems like it would have lots of vitamins and antioxidents.

Thank you.

I am now in North Central Florida, and the climate borders on tropical . . . so I think I could pull off sweet potatoes and sugar beets.

Sweet potato chips seem like a practical way to store healthy carbs for months without refrigeration.

I was going to experiment with the Asian/Hawaiian dark purple sweet potato, as it seems like it would have lots of vitamins and antioxidents.
Once I went to the sons house a few months back, I brought sweet potatoes for the grand daughters to start in water. I put three tooth picks in the potatoes to hold it up on a mason jar filled with water to sprout. That has been his best crop this year so far. He told me he is done with the garden now. The sweet potatoes are now taking over and all he and the girls will have to do is dig up the treasures.

And credit cards twice that.
Credit cards are one of the worst things you can do to sabotage your finances. Who in their right mind would agree to the terms and interest rates from them if they actually took the time to think before signing up. I have and use a couple cards, but they have never not been paid in full each month nor ever been late. I would never agree to any kind of annual fees either. I do like the security of the credit company being able to intervene with any disputed charges and the higher daily limit than a regular debit card. As far as a mortgage, not many people can save enough for their first house and since the rates can be so low it’s really the only kind of debt I’ve ever considered as acceptable.

And credit cards twice that.
That maybe so, but nobody is being forced to use credit or take on a mortgage.
If used properly credit can be a useful tool. I've always taken advantage of 0% interest loans or 90 days same as cash. The trick is to always pay the CC or loan off before they start accruing interest.

That maybe so, but nobody is being forced to use credit or take on a mortgage.
If used properly credit can be a useful tool. I've always taken advantage of 0% interest loans or 90 days same as cash. The trick is to always pay the CC or loan off before they start accruing interest.
I dont use mine often but always pay the full balance at the end of the month. The last few years I have gotten notices on occasion threatening me of closing my account because I don't use. I will make a one time purchase and pay off just so I still have that account open.

Some people use their credit cards thinking it is free money at the time and max it out. It's not. Credit card companies get very well paid. I still have a house mortgage and paying it off as soon as possible. That is the only debt we have right now. I really would love to see that one crossed off the list of monthly expenses. Bank always gets their money first. We are on the down side though, thank God.

Starting to see more message traffic about possible reinstatments of masks, social distancing, even some suggesting lockdowns 2.0.

If that last one happens, I would expect even more inflation.

Starting to see more message traffic about possible reinstatments of masks, social distancing, even some suggesting lockdowns 2.0.

If that last one happens, I would expect even more inflation.
I agree, another lockdown, even limited, would kill any progress we’ve made. They just added more travel restrictions for Canada and Mexico. California of course added mask indoors again. The numbers of unvaccinated hospitalizations is getting ugly now, it’s likely going to trigger more restrictions again.

I agree, another lockdown, even limited, would kill any progress we’ve made. They just added more travel restrictions for Canada and Mexico. California of course added mask indoors again. The numbers of unvaccinated hospitalizations is getting ugly now, it’s likely going to trigger more restrictions again.
As someone who works in a hospital . . . it is getting bad.

I also wonder if the COVID casualty numbers reflect the suicides of over-taxed healthcare workers, as we did have a nurse kill herself.

Yep. $3.73 here. I guess its OK if you're sucking off the government tit, or you make a lot of money.
Thanks Biden voters. I hope your happy with your choice.
Yeah, I had one liberal try and tell me it was higher because they had to add the summer additive. I responded that, didn't they add that additive last year also? Never heard from her again?

Latest posts

Back