Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajones

Reaction score
I am new to this prepping business but very interested and awaiting any help I can get.

Welcome! Read....there is sooooo much useful information here....if you don't see it then ask...someone is bound to have some thoughts about it....questions help us all...if it isn't something we've thought about then we start thinking about it and if it is something we've thought about it gives us the opportunity to think on it again!

Like my hubby says...you can't learn/start any earlier...now is a much better time than later!

Welcome! Read....there is sooooo much useful information here....if you don't see it then ask...someone is bound to have some thoughts about it....questions help us all...if it isn't something we've thought about then we start thinking about it and if it is something we've thought about it gives us the opportunity to think on it again!

Like my hubby says...you can't learn/start any earlier...now is a much better time than later!
Which section would I go to to get a basic list of what I should stock up on? Thank you for your help...

Hmmm...I haven't found ONE place to look for a comprehensive list...however, I started a spreadsheet for what I thought was important to me...it is at home so hopefully tonight I remember to post it somewhere on here. Otherwise the Prepping 101 area is a good place to start...one very important piece of advice I got from here was "Store what you eat and eat what you store." That is a little tough for me...I can store all sorts of foods but now I am working on learning to cook with those stored foods...rice isn't any good if you don't have water, don't know how to cook it (or with what you'll cook it eg oven/stove), and don't have anything to go with it...plain rice just sucks. To get you started thinking visit http://lds.about.com/library/bl/faq/blcalculator.htm

Welcome to the forum. Have a good look around. Feel free to ask questions. If you have suggestion, make them. To start with you need food, water, and shelter and we go from there.

If you are interested in the basic contents of a Bug Out Bag, Maverick put together what i believe is an awesome list:
Some ideas if you haven't thought about it already, this is what I have in ours

Shotgun Remington 870 Express Tactical
compass military nsn 6605-00-151-5337
GPS magellan w/2 sets of AA bat
UCO candle lantern w/7 candles
cedar kindling 4" sealed
Gerber strike force w/16 WetFire Tinder
UCO Stormproof Match Kit with Waterproof Case
Zippo light w/flints & small fuel
Esbit 3-Piece Cookset w/24 fuel packets
polar pure water disinfectant
Mcnett Frontier Emergency Water Filter
Seattle Sports Camp Bucket 12 liters collapsible
water jug collapsible
flashlight led lenser p6 w/3 sets of AA bat
headlamp coast HL5 w/3 sets of AAA bat
Datrex Emergency Water Packet (3day supply)
Canteen military issue w/cup, case
ER Emergency Ration 3600+ (3 day supply)
Freeze Dried Food (cooking)
Baking Soda (multiple uses)
cloths 2sets wool korean war surplus pants/shirt/socks
2 military surplus wool blankets
long-johns
water proof boots
PARACORD 550 Type III 100ft
tent 3-person backpacking GigaTent Mt. Washington
Sleeping Bag Igneo water proof backpacking
2 5x6 plastic tarps
knife Cold Steel SRK
knife military mil-k-8662e
gerber multi-purpose
Entrenching Shovel military issue w/case
BND 026851 Toboggan (light, tow behind)
First-aid kit (assembled for our geographic)
toothbrush/toothpaste, bar of soap
zip-ties
Space blankets
two-way frs/gmrs cobra radios w/3 sets of bat
2 cel phones w/recharge battery banks give 2 full recharges
And always with me, Fire Iron Flint & Steel Kit
2 rolls TP

2 backpacks kifaru KU3700, Wife is 40lbs mine is 65lbs minus shotgun and pistol
All this easily packs and carry, wife is 5'3 and 118lbs she has no issues carrying her backpack

Here are the items that are on my spreadsheet...your situation could be different...I gather/store food for the chance that I'm without power for an EXTENDED period of time. This list assumes that I am not relying on the rest of society for any of my living needs for that same EXTENDED period of time.

Water, spring/drinking
Candy
Cat Food
Cheese, freeze dried
Chocolate Chips
Cocoa
Coconut Oil
Olive Oil, extra virgin
Cooking Oil
Shortening
Cornstarch
Baking powder
Baking soda
Vinegar
Yeast
Bouillon
Eggs, powdered
Jelly
Mayonnaise
Ketchup
BBQ Sauce
Salsa
Soy sauce
Meat, canned
Meat, freeze dried
Dairy
Butter, powdered
Buttermilk, powdered
Milk, evaporated
Milk, nonfat dry
Sour Cream, powdered
Nuts & Seeds
Almonds
Sunflowers
Grains
Oatmeal
Wheat
Flour
Pasta
Crackers
Cornmeal
Quinoa
Ramen
Rice, white
Spices & Flavorings
Lemon, powdered
Lime, powdered
Allspice
Celery seed
Chili powder
Cinnamon
Cloves, ground
Cloves, whole
Cumin
Dill seed
Garlic powder
Mustard powder
Nutmeg
Italian seasoning
Onion, flaked
Onion powder
Oregano
Sage
Thyme
Salt
Vanilla extract
Orange extract
Almond extract
Pepper
Sweeteners
Honey
Maple Syrup
Stevia
Brown sugar
Sugar
Paper Towels
Peanut Butter
Pickles, dill
Pickles, sweet
Potatoes, instant
Propane
Shampoo
Soap, bar
Laundry detergent
Coffee
Tea
Syrup of Ipecac
Toothbrushes
Toothpaste
Floss
Vasoline
Vitamins
Fruit, canned
Applesauce
Peaches
Pears
Pineapple
Fruit, dehydrated
Apples
Oranges
Pineapple
Vegetables, dehydrated
Tomatoes
Peppers, hot
Peppers, bell
Mushrooms
Corn
Carrots
Peas
Green Beans
Black Beans
Kidney Beans
Pinto Beans
White Beans
Vegetables, canned
Black Beans
Kidney Beans
Pinto Beans
White Beans
Mushrooms
Tomatoes, diced
Tomato Sauce
Matches
Activated Charcoal
Betadine
Bleach
Advil
Alcohol, Isopropyl
Aleve
Antacids
Antibiotics
Antihistamines
Antiseptics
Aspirin
Eye drops
Hydrogen Peroxide

I crossed out catfood since my cats are both 14+ years old...when SHTF chances are my cats aren't going to be too long for this world...also...I am TOTALLY missing TOILET PAPER on my list...I have NO idea how that happened...I used to have a 3 year supply...but I'm OUT...I dislike all the varieties out there...I did find a very nice TP at a hotel I visited this spring...so I got the brand from the hotel clerk and I'm on a mission to see if I can get a personal supply from the supplier...ugh...I'm such a toilet paper snob! Drives my hubby CRAZY!!!

I am new to this prepping business but very interested and awaiting any help I can get.
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have in the proper area, and I know you will get an answer, as he members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Latest posts

Back