newbie prepper needing advice

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennifer

Reaction score
hi guys i have recently moved from a big city to a small town to get away from all the chaos and to be closer to my family. being in a smaller town now and in an area prone to a lot of storms i really would like to start prepping. i am really concerned with the economy and government right now. everything is a mess. where do i start?! i cant believe i haven't started prepping before now after seeing how things are going recently.

Welcome to the forum. We'll be happy to help you find the best ways to prepare your family for whatever may come.

Start slowly don't want to rush into it and spend all your savings. Start canning your food (stuff you like to eat). Nw that you live in a smaller city how much land do you own. Maybe start a garden and a few chickens ? PM me if you have any questions ill be glad to answer

thanks guys! i am so lost on how and where to start at this point so any help is really appreciated.

hi guys i have recently moved from a big city to a small town to get away from all the chaos and to be closer to my family. being in a smaller town now and in an area prone to a lot of storms i really would like to start prepping. i am really concerned with the economy and government right now. everything is a mess. where do i start?! i cant believe i haven't started prepping before now after seeing how things are going recently.
thanks guys! i am so lost on how and where to start at this point so any help is really appreciated.
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have in the proper area, and I know you will get an answer, as he members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Welcome to the forum from south Louisiana. I have a granddaughter living out of Grosebeck, Tx. My son lived there before he got killed 4 yrs. ago. Anyway, back to prepping. As for food, my best advice is to get yourself a pressure canner. You can start canning now and in no time you will have a large stockpile of canned food that will stay good for years. I try to rotate my stock. Every once in a while we open a jar and try it. We have eaten soup, turkey, beef, pork, veggies that have been canned for more than 3 yrs. and they were as good as the day we canned them. I opened a jar of blackberry jam that was canned in 1988 and it was as good as it was in 1988. The canned food will stay good for many yrs. as long as the seal is not broken. You can store rice, beens, flour, corn, ect. in Mylar bags stored in 5gal. buckets. Just make sure to get as much air out as you can before putting your oxygen absorbers. In 5gal. pails, I always use two large absorbers. I don't buy the absorbers on line because of the price. I use hand or body warmers. You can pick them up at Wal Mart after the winter for hardly nothing. I picked up 300 for $5.00. I found that they work as good if not better than the absorbers on line. There is alot of info on storing in Mylar bags on youtube. We even can milk. although I can't keep it in storage because my wife and daughter drink it faster than I can get it canned. As for gardening, you will have to ask others on this site. They can teach you all you need to know. Again, welcome to the site.

Grosebeck isnt too far from me. I'm sorry to hear about your son. Never can prepare for that really. I am researching into the canning to see what is easiest for me to do and hope to start. i think my mom and step dad know how to can so I'm going to ask them when they come up on the weekend. thanks for the tip with the warmers by the way-would never have thought about that! I'm also looking into a dehydrator to possibly start doing fruits, veggies, and meats. I'm obsessed with jerky lol.

Grosebeck isnt too far from me. I'm sorry to hear about your son. Never can prepare for that really. I am researching into the canning to see what is easiest for me to do and hope to start. i think my mom and step dad know how to can so I'm going to ask them when they come up on the weekend. thanks for the tip with the warmers by the way-would never have thought about that! I'm also looking into a dehydrator to possibly start doing fruits, veggies, and meats. I'm obsessed with jerky lol.
Well as for jerky, I can't keep it in the stach. It all gets eaten. I have to hide some of it behind other things so no one sees it.LOL. As for canning, if you follow the instructions that come with the canner, you can't go wrong. Most of our veggies and meats we can. I just don't trust dehydrated food unless it is totally dry. The only reason we dehydrate is because it takes up less room and would be easier to carry if we have to bugout of our bugout location. I din't plan on leaving my BOL because of the way I have it fortified. It will take a little investment to get started but it will pay off in the long run. We get our rice( 50lbs. for $17.00), flour, beens, peanutbutter, ect. at Sams. I guess your nearest Sams would be in Waco. Can't remember any other big town close to you. We would go through Buffalo on our way to Groesbeck. Was a hell of a trip from here. Still is. Might let you know next time we go visit my granddaughter.

Really wish I had started prepping years ago. I would have been more prepared for the move back to Texas. We barely getting by right now. I would definitely love to meet y'all and any of the nearby preppers. The more info is awesome for me. Trying to learn the area and ppl for now then I'll know the best place to settle.

Welcome !
You will find this place pretty friendly and very knowledgable. Grey matter is in abundance here. Take it slow. Take stock what you do have. Look at your enviorment and keep reading and asking. We are all here to help.
You'll fit in just fine.

Welcome Jennifer!
I wasn't "born" a canner either! I am self-taught via the Ball Canning Book; which you can pick up for <$15 at Wal-Mart. That being said, your next purchase needs to be "Growing and Canning Your Own Food" by Jackie Clay. With those two books in hand, there is nothing you won't be able to figure out regarding canning. I purchased both my pressure canners on Ebay and you can get a hot-water bath canning package at Wal-Mart.

Being in a "storm prone" area, will you be Bugging-In or Bugging-Out?? If Bugging-Out, your first step should be putting together a Bug-Out Bag for each member of your household. We live and ranch in Southern Colorado so we will be Buggin-In. However, I am a traveling nurse so for me....I must have the tools/provisions to get myself back Home. My Bug-Out Bag will easily take care of me for 2+weeks, buying me valuable time to travel/hike/steal a horse/whatever it takes, to get back home to the ranch. Design your Bug-Out-Bags to meet the personal needs of each family member. Remember, wtshtf, you must give yourself and your family every possible advantage.

Please pick the brains of the folks here on the forum....we want to help!

Blessings,
Shenandoah

Latest posts

Back