New to this...

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prepping is indeed overwhelming. So much to do, so little time (and money)!

I would suggest generally, to beginners, starting with a prioritization list, and THEN answer "what are you prepping for?".

Is it a SHTF event or series of events, which are not great but, mild and short lived, at least in comparison to an End of The World As We Know It (TEOTWAWKI)? That will help determine the depth of your preps in each area of priority.

I see from the documentary you posted that you are definitely in the TEOTWAKI realm and you have much to do!

Baby steps and A LOT of war gaming through possibilities so that you have a plan A B C. No plan survives first contact with the enemy and the law of redundant redundancies "two is one and one is none", are both quite apt.

If you have not already found him, James Wesley Rawles and his survival blog are probably the longest lived, most in depth place of information especially with regards to preparing for Armageddon.

...and welcome to the forum!

I found it easier to concentrate on one aspect at a time.
Food and food preparation,water and what you'll need to make it safe to drink....etc.
It's not so overwhelming when you break it down into individual tasks.
And while you do that keep a pen and paper nearby and write down things that you want to address next.

Get into the other threads and read your ### off. Take notes, copy info, read again to get it into your head, make priorities like TexPrep said and do NOT LET ANYBODY KNOW; SEE; HEAR OR CHANGE YOUR MIND.
You prep for YOU AND YOURS. You will be alone and scared when the SHTF and TEOTWAWKI happens to the fullest extent of your worst dreams or nightmares. You can do anything if your motivation and desire to survive is your driving power. You are only as strong as your preps and your mindset. You cannot save a drowning person if you cannot swim yourself. LEARN TO SURVIVE AND SWIM AGAINST THE CURRENT, only dead fish swim with the current...welcome, Gary

I'm just now starting to prep so I've been watching a ton of videos on YouTube. I'm a bit overwhelmed so this was suggested to me. A great place to start.

Click here > Alive After The Fall

Oh...you'll need at least one firearm,preferably two.
One pistol you carry on your person at all times and a rifle for long distance defense or hunting.
There's a saying....Your pistol is there so you can fight your way to your rifle.

Good advice to not get overwhelmed or freak out. Otherwise you won't do anything.
Plan to do something each day. One day get water stored. Even if it's tap water in old milk jugs. Day two go out and buy some shelf stable food. Then just keep going. Do something every day.

Exactly. I've seen too many people analyze to death and not do the things. Doing the things takes daily time and energy, not just reading about doing the things. Pretty soon it'll become a way of life, a way of doing things. Once one of my family members was visiting, had woken up to prepping, and we discussed food storage. Showed some of ours and how we store, what we store....said he aspired to get where we are. Problem was, wasn't doing much of anything. It takes daily work. It takes a lifestyle.

first thing a new prepper needs to understand that SHTFs aren't just the major disasters and catastrophes - you run out of TP in the middle of the night or have a breakdown on the way to work >>> SHTF

get your act together - get organized - get prepared to handle life's littler problems >> if you can't handle that - all the prepping won't get you thru a major disaster ....

I started simple and didn't worry at all about TEOTWAWKI. I just worried about one day. I turned off the electricity, water and gas supplies and imagined all shops were closed, roads were blocked and digital media were unavailable. I figured out what I needed to be comfortable that one day, and what I had on hand to provide light, warmth, cook food, water to drink etc. Even a simple thing like flushing the toilet is something I needed to think about. I then set about obtaining those things.
Then I went to three days. What extra things would I need in place to manage three days with no utilities, no shops etc? I set about putting those things in place -- things like emergency water supplies, firelighting supplies (and skills I had to learn), lighting, natural warmth and cooling, first aid, entertainment and so on. After that I started keeping my car full of fuel at all times and thought about where I could evacuate to if necessary. Then I checked out the lists around of 72 hour emergency packs and made sure I had everything on those lists and created two 72 hour packs -- one for the house, one for the car.
Then I went to three weeks, three months, six months, and so on and set about obtaining the things to not only survive but thrive for those longer periods. This included learning new skills like how to grow food, collect and save seeds, how to preserve food, how to make clothes, clean water, and a host of other skills. And all the time I was enlarging my storage of foods and other basics and learning how to store them. I also got out of debt.
It wasn't until then that I really started to think about the collapse of society and all the other crap that's going on. I still think a global depression with food storages and money becoming worthless is the most likely thing most of us are likely to deal with in the short to medium term and that's my main focus. The biggest worry I have is that the shortage of intelligence, self-reliance, and skills in the general population will make them panic when the SHTF.

Latest posts

Back