New to this prepper org.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBresearch

Reaction score
so I am 30 years old 8 year army vet and have 3 deployments. currently in college I am trying to get my bachelors in engineering and I will further my education with a masters in structural engineering. I am from Texas, I am an easy going 100% honest person. if you don't like what I have to say I am sorry I will stick to my guns and realize I will mean no harm from my words unless you ask for it... I am the type of person that is laid back, last to get mad, but if it means defending my self or family beware I am a badger in a corner. My hobbies are camping, fishing, hunting, shooting, and creating things that are thought to be impossible. I have a hard drive I work hard and do it right the first time. I hate having to fix my own and someone elses mistakes.. they are too time consuming. When I camp I take only the essentials. I usually don't plan on staying more than 2-3 days so I pack water pills, hammock and fishing gear, maybe a 22 rifle or bow depends on the time of year and where I am headed. if you wanna know some cool survival stuff I got ya. if you wanna know about something I will either help you with my knowledge or I will research it for the both of us. if you have any questions other than where I live SSN or DOB or Banking info I will try to help ya. Also note. I am by no means a solicitor. if you wanna buy something from me forget about it.. I will trade ya something instead... coin for a knife is my style. be honest with me and I am honest with you... that's pretty much it.. oh by the way I am married 3 kids. so don't ask for money.. I aint got none.. and I am not looking for a new wife currently mine is pretty awesome

howdy from a Texan .... and welcome to the forum and family...there's quite a few knowledgeable folks here that'll gladly tell ya what you need to know,or at least point ya in the right direction and/or give ya a good idea or 2..and by all means jump right on in with any replies you have on a topic.and start new topics if/when needed

howdy from a Texan .... and welcome to the forum and family...there's quite a few knowledgeable folks here that'll gladly tell ya what you need to know,or at least point ya in the right direction and/or give ya a good idea or 2..and by all means jump right on in with any replies you have on a topic.and start new topics if/when needed

So far I haven't found anyone really talkative only people who shoot me down. Been searching for one person to do an interview and keep it anonymous for my stupid research paper but no one wants to help out.. but its alright I think I found another prepper group online that seems to be more willing to help me. but I have asked some questions about batteries but apparently I need to ask all my questions in the forums and not shoutbox. but I'm sure you will see me lurking in the shadows offering what tips tricks and new tech I have come up with.

yea I have a 10 page research paper. 4 pages due by Tuesday... i have quite a few sources i just require 3 total interviews. I am using my father and another prepper from a different prep site. however, I am going back to college fore my engineering degree. prepping on the side creating some cool stuff too. I'm needing to find some good batteries though. need something that can handle a high drain and has the ability to maintain longer charge. my father and I are trying to get his house completely off grid with wind and solar power... good thing is he lives in a lvl 3 wind zone so we can almost run him all year going wind.

the one thing i've learned about most preppers,is that they rather remain anonymous in every way possible..for example.take one person that has a bug out location,to bug out to.they dont want it known about at all,when it comes to others.even then,mainly when it comes to non-preppers..thats why you,or who ever.will get no as a answer,when it comes to interviews,pictures and all..because of that.i suggest roam the boards here.and in other sites..might even try riding the country roads,and back roads.if you have the needed transportation and fuel for that.on account that might give ya some ideas..

so I am 30 years old 8 year army vet and have 3 deployments. currently in college I am trying to get my bachelors in engineering and I will further my education with a masters in structural engineering. I am from Texas, I am an easy going 100% honest person. if you don't like what I have to say I am sorry I will stick to my guns and realize I will mean no harm from my words unless you ask for it... I am the type of person that is laid back, last to get mad, but if it means defending my self or family beware I am a badger in a corner. My hobbies are camping, fishing, hunting, shooting, and creating things that are thought to be impossible. I have a hard drive I work hard and do it right the first time. I hate having to fix my own and someone elses mistakes.. they are too time consuming. When I camp I take only the essentials. I usually don't plan on staying more than 2-3 days so I pack water pills, hammock and fishing gear, maybe a 22 rifle or bow depends on the time of year and where I am headed. if you wanna know some cool survival stuff I got ya. if you wanna know about something I will either help you with my knowledge or I will research it for the both of us. if you have any questions other than where I live SSN or DOB or Banking info I will try to help ya. Also note. I am by no means a solicitor. if you wanna buy something from me forget about it.. I will trade ya something instead... coin for a knife is my style. be honest with me and I am honest with you... that's pretty much it.. oh by the way I am married 3 kids. so don't ask for money.. I aint got none.. and I am not looking for a new wife currently mine is pretty awesome
Welcome. Damn, another one from Texas! What, do they train you all from birth to be self sufficient! Lol. I think a quarter of the people here are from Texas. I'm just jealouse.....

So far I haven't found anyone really talkative only people who shoot me down. Been searching for one person to do an interview and keep it anonymous for my stupid research paper but no one wants to help out.. but its alright I think I found another prepper group online that seems to be more willing to help me. but I have asked some questions about batteries but apparently I need to ask all my questions in the forums and not shoutbox. but I'm sure you will see me lurking in the shadows offering what tips tricks and new tech I have come up with.
I think the chilly reception about being interviewed is from shows like doomsday preppers showing preppers in a negative or crazy light. We had a college kid here that did a paper on us and it was pretty negative too. So that's where it comes from, nothing personal.
As far as batteries go, NiFe (Nickel/iron)seems to be the best option right now in my opinion. By far the best longevity and cycle ability. The prices are getting better, but it's still up there. I'm hoping to set up enough solar in the next year to keep my freezer and fridge going, and that's what I'm looking at so far.

thanks. nah I wanna keep it as positive as possible.. the reason I say that is cause I don't wanna be labeled horrible in my own paper haha. well that's good news about the NiFe batteries at least we are on the right track there. my father is currently building his jewlers kiln. I laughed at him about it the other day not being mean just being silly. he got it above MP for Ag so I stopped laughing real quick. seems like we will be moving on to making a centrifuge to pull out bubbles from molten materials. he has been talking about making jewlry lately so I let him do his thing. we have been working a lot lately but I think we got our windmill blades down pat. they are super cheap highly versatile and light.. we got them rated to 117mph sustained winds for at least 1 mile lol.... may have to send a picture for you guys to see. also of there are any prepper group located around Abilene that are known of?

pardon the grammar.. that's exactly how I know I will never be published.. I am more hands on instead of writing books blogs or other materials

With the batteries, it kind of depends. For my needs at the moment, Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) batteries work fine. I don't have solar panels (well I have some but not enough) and just charge them on the grid and with a propane genny. So it is purely a short to mid term power backup (or for as long as the propane lastso_O). I have a couple of setups, one large and one small. The larger setup uses a 6KW (12KW peak) inverter with two 125 AH AGM batteries and is very heavy, so I built a cart using a convertible hand truck. The smaller setup uses a 2KW Pure Sine Wave inverter (for electronics) and two 75 AH AGM batteries and is easier to carry around so there is no cart for it yet. I also have a 600 Watt pure sine wave inverter that is powered by a marine deep cycle conventional lead acid battery (not AGM).

I keep all the batteries on maintainers. A set of Schumacher SC-10030A 30 amp chargers do a great job of maintaining the AGM batteries at optimum voltage for storage. Obviously if you want to go off grid you don't want something that needs the grid...

Latest posts

Back