New to prepping

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No idea

Reaction score
Hey everyone. As the title days, i am pretty new to prepping. Not the idea, just putting the knowledge to use. I have decent experience in most aspects of survival. The areas i seem be lacking in are food prep, which is kinda embarrassing to me considering it should be one of the first things to start with. I am hoping to learn a whole lot here. Thanks in advance.

Hi there and welcome I am new to prepping myself the best way to find out stuff is to look up stuff on YouTube. Also water should be your first priority bc u can only live three days without the food then the rest of the items I learned a lot from watching the show doomsday preppers as well. Best of luck to you and I pray to God that if the SHTF we will all be ready. God bless America!!

Thank you for the reply. I'm on top of the water situation. My main concern is learning the process of canning and things of that nature. My mre's are only going to last so long, and there won't always be an opportunity to take game. I've pretty well got most other areas in check thanks to 4years of service and growing up in the middle of no where lol.

howdy .... and welcome to the forum and family...there's quiet a few knowledgable folks here that'll gladly tell ya what you need to know,or at least point ya in the right direction and/or give ya a good idea or 2..and by all means jump right on in with any replys you have on a topic.and start new topics if/when needed....

there's diffrent topics about gardening here.might try typing in garden and/or gardening in the search bar at top right cornner to see what you come up with..

lol srry little humor there ! i wrangle turds for a living so i cant help myself.

Gardening is easy , just pick a spot were u have several inches of dark top soil, till it well, if you have animals it is good to spread any manure or even food scraps from your table on the ground u plan to garden in for xtra fertilizer. any vine plants u put in should be mounded and a couple feet apart with the rows, anything else like maters ,peppers,onions, etc. should be trenched in straight rows ,place seeds/bulbs every foot . you can also drop some osmocote in with the seeds which is a fertilizer , cover and water then wait for them to grow. once tomato plants are a few inches tall you can loosly tie them to stakes because they will get top heavy and fall over and a tomato on the ground equals a rotten tomato very quickly. or u can get some wire cages they make that slip down around them that will do the same thing . It will be obvious when your crop is rdy to be harvested. and ofcoarse during the growing season it helps to take a hoe and keep the weeds chopped out between your plants because they will steel the water and nutrients from your plants. And remember rain doesnt always come so water your garden during the dry times.

Thanks for joining. I hope you find some good info and will share what you know with us, too.

We are planning some Meet & Greets this year again in case you'd like to get out and try some things in a controlled environment. Best of luck to you!

Thank you for the replies. We draw all of our water from an underground spring near our house. Would it be a bad idea to plant crops near that to help with the water, or would that mess with our well?

well if your using manur to fertilize or any chemicals on the garden it would not be wise to have it near your drinking water source.

Hey everyone. As the title days, i am pretty new to prepping. Not the idea, just putting the knowledge to use. I have decent experience in most aspects of survival. The areas i seem be lacking in are food prep, which is kinda embarrassing to me considering it should be one of the first things to start with. I am hoping to learn a whole lot here. Thanks in advance.
Welcome no idea, my main focus is food replenishment, so I hope I can help some. I think trying to be well rounded and work towards all aspects of prepping is wise, but we work with the resources we can afford.

Btw, I'm a shit gardener, so any advice there would be wonderful.
I could kill a plant by looking at about 4yrs ago, now I have about 65 fruit trees, 50 blueberries, 100 grapevines, thornless blackberries, strawberries, a good size greenhouse and a garden area. I still don't consider myself an expert on any of these, but I'm getting better each year. I just got the greenhouse up this fall, and have 1/4 of it planted with winter veggies. Never tried a garden in winter before, but I have sprouts coming up now. My main focus is to learn how to grow things now, before I may have to depend on them for survival. I've also started chickens and rabbits. One thing I learned the hard way is you need to protect hens from predators! I'm down to 1 rooster and 2 hens right now. Dammed neighborhood dogs, got thru 2 fences. Like I said though, right now I'm still learning to produce and preserve foods, and am having fun learning. With all the trials and errors I've had, I strongly suggest practicing these things before your survival counts on it.

one thing just occured to me.your looking into gardening..so you might look into canning as well.that is if you havent already..to me that not only includes wet canning,but dry canning as well.i just started a list of dry foods that i can dry can once i buy the needed jars lids and rings,as well as the dry foods i'll be trying out first..and thier as follows.if/when first 3 works for me.then i'll be going with the others as well..

rice
beans
oatmeal
powered milk
corn meal
cream of wheat
oats
cream farina
trpioca
almonds
pecan
flour

p.s. what i'll be dry canning,will be for everyday use.that way i'll have that.and if you buy large amounts of dry food of some kind.then try mylar bags inside of 5 gallon buckets

Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have in the proper area, and I know you will get an answer, as he members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Wise Food company makes really good long term food and they come in grab n go buckets. Check them out

a late welcome from Finland to DPF,feel free to ask and someone here will give you the answer or atleast point you forward
and if you feel unsecure about canning,hey you are on the right place for information abt that

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back