Quantcast

New to prepping

Doomsday Prepper Forums - The Number One Prepper Site

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

Paul Mullet

Reaction score
I may be new to this, but I have a BOG for myself and my wife and child. Working on the car one now, and still ordering 3-6 cases of mre's a month. Have started collecting tuna and other 3 year shelf life foods, but having a hard time finding stuff at the local food market to purchase and store. Any Ideas? I live near a Kroger and a Walmart

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
I may be new to this, but I have a BOG for myself and my wife and child. Working on the car one now, and still ordering 3-6 cases of mre's a month. Have started collecting tuna and other 3 year shelf life foods, but having a hard time finding stuff at the local food market to purchase and store. Any Ideas? I live near a Kroger and a Walmart
Check this thread out http://www.doomsdayprepperforums.com/index.php?threads/costco-getting-involved.129/#post-660 Hopefully that will get you started in the food arena. Let me know if you order some and how you like it. I have not yet taken the plunge on the freeze dried stuff.

Kelly

Reaction score
I have always heard bagged rice and beans will last a long time- as long as you can keep them dry- I am starting to stock up on those- even though I hate beans- and Spam :eek:

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
I have always heard bagged rice and beans will last a long time- as long as you can keep them dry- I am starting to stock up on those- even though I hate beans- and Spam :eek:
I have heard the same about the length of time you can keep them. I have hear that some people use hand warmers to keep the moisture out of their storage barrels. I believe they also use Mylar to store the items inside the barrels/buckets.

Kelly

Reaction score
There are tons of pinterest boards with canning methods of tricks to preserving food- No prep canning of dry beans. Pour 1/2 cup of dry beans into your hot pint jars and top off with boiling water to 1 inch headspace, then process. This came from a wordpress blog- I know Pinterest is mainly a female site but it maybe worth your while to explore on there and get some ideas- waterproofing matches- mold free berries- meals in a jar with shelve life 5 to 7 years-

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
There are tons of pinterest boards with canning methods of tricks to preserving food- No prep canning of dry beans. Pour 1/2 cup of dry beans into your hot pint jars and top off with boiling water to 1 inch headspace, then process. This came from a wordpress blog- I know Pinterest is mainly a female site but it maybe worth your while to explore on there and get some ideas- waterproofing matches- mold free berries- meals in a jar with shelve life 5 to 7 years-
When it comes to self preservation gender goes out the window! Thanks for the info!

Latest posts