New to prepping

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shirley jane

Reaction score
Hi, My husband and I are new to prepping and I thought this may be a good place to get really good ideas of what we should be doing. We fear there may be a financial collapse in this country. You cannot continue to print money and spend money we don't have with out consequences. We are senior citizens and don't have too much money to spend. So I want to get the right advice and spend what money we have as smart as possible. Thanks

Hi, My husband and I are new to prepping and I thought this may be a good place to get really good ideas of what we should be doing. We fear there may be a financial collapse in this country. You cannot continue to print money and spend money we don't have with out consequences. We are senior citizens and don't have too much money to spend. So I want to get the right advice and spend what money we have as smart as possible. Thanks
Welcome Shirley Jane - I think you and your husband are on the right track and are wise for heeding that "still small voice" in the back of your mind!

It was about 3 years ago (now) that the same thing hit our family.

I have some website resources that I found helpful and will attach below - but it is first important to find out what you have, and what YOU think you might need first...

I found it easier to break down our basic necessities into basic categories - food, water, shelter (i.e., do you live in a secure area, family or friends near you) protection (i.e., guns & ammo, knowledge of how to use them) - my wife & I had some disagreements over what should be the focus of our first effort (food or guns, we had neither). It was decided that FOOD and water were our first priorities (I don't mind admitting that those we're NOT my choices, but thankfully a cooler head prevailed).

How much food...was one of our first questions?

If you're on a budget/strapped for cash - that question really doesn't matter - does it? if you're in this situation - do what my nephew did - every time he and his wife went to the grocery store he bought anything and everything that was "buy-one-get-one-free", ANYTHING that was on sale - regardless of whether it was their "favorite" brand. Didn't matter what it was, peanut butter, noodles, pork & beans, toothpaste, rice-a-roni...cereal...whatever...BUY IT! Do this each time you go to the grocery store - it will be like stocking up without spending money that is budgeted. Even if you don't use as much of the "free" items (or any) you can probably trade them for something you need, later! If all goes well - in 4 weeks you should have between 2 - 4 weeks of additional food you didn't have to pay for!

Next, I would suggest buying (or check it from the library) the book "How to Survive the End Of The World As We Know It" by John Wesley, Rawles. It's packed with great details, organizational tips, etc., if you find something that you don't agree with - skip it - but it will at least help you get a starting point to overcome that feeling if being overwhelmed! I especially liked the chapter on "A List of Lists"...but fair warning - he does SO MUCH preparing (including teaching it) it will overwhelm you - at first. Just remember, you're using it as a resource...something to cause you to think about something you may never have thought of.

Now, after building up about a months worth of canned/boxed/noodles/meats/chilli - we came into/saved a little money. If this somehow happens to you - consider adding bulk food to your plans. This is what my family did. The first time we could spare some money - we bought 3 months of food for one person - because thats 1 month of food per person if you're a family of three...two people would stretch that total a little further.

So, to that point - the first link - and others will no doubt jump in to offer advice - and even regarding this link I offer it more for the calorie calculator than the specific food brand:

http://www.foodinsurance.com/long-term-meals (find the "emergency food calculator")

Sam's Club has a version of bulk/emergency food called "Augeson Farms" at more reasonable prices (and if you'll look at the link they sometimes include a "free gift" for ordering this way - my gift was a 55 gallon water barrel!):

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/search...=augason+farms&fromHome=yes&_requestid=280474

Here's another we used:

http://beprepared.com/category.asp?c=64

Do you have a gun in the house? If so do you have ammunition for it? We can visit there next...but I don't want to overload you. There are also some basic first aid/medical Prepps you should also consider...and at some point communications will need to be considered...but I think some of the most pressing needs (at least to me) have been addressed. Maybe someone else can overrule me on some of this, or offer better options - but it's at least a starting point!

Hope this is what you were looking for!

Welcome Shirley Jane - I think you and your husband are on the right track and are wise for heeding that "still small voice" in the back of your mind!

It was about 3 years ago (now) that the same thing hit our family.

I have some website resources that I found helpful and will attach below - but it is first important to find out what you have, and what YOU think you might need first...

I found it easier to break down our basic necessities into basic categories - food, water, shelter (i.e., do you live in a secure area, family or friends near you) protection (i.e., guns & ammo, knowledge of how to use them) - my wife & I had some disagreements over what should be the focus of our first effort (food or guns, we had neither). It was decided that FOOD and water were our first priorities (I don't mind admitting that those we're NOT my choices, but thankfully a cooler head prevailed).

How much food...was one of our first questions?

If you're on a budget/strapped for cash - that question really doesn't matter - does it? if you're in this situation - do what my nephew did - every time he and his wife went to the grocery store he bought anything and everything that was "buy-one-get-one-free", ANYTHING that was on sale - regardless of whether it was their "favorite" brand. Didn't matter what it was, peanut butter, noodles, pork & beans, toothpaste, rice-a-roni...cereal...whatever...BUY IT! Do this each time you go to the grocery store - it will be like stocking up without spending money that is budgeted. Even if you don't use as much of the "free" items (or any) you can probably trade them for something you need, later! If all goes well - in 4 weeks you should have between 2 - 4 weeks of additional food you didn't have to pay for!

Next, I would suggest buying (or check it from the library) the book "How to Survive the End Of The World As We Know It" by John Wesley, Rawles. It's packed with great details, organizational tips, etc., if you find something that you don't agree with - skip it - but it will at least help you get a starting point to overcome that feeling if being overwhelmed! I especially liked the chapter on "A List of Lists"...but fair warning - he does SO MUCH preparing (including teaching it) it will overwhelm you - at first. Just remember, you're using it as a resource...something to cause you to think about something you may never have thought of.

Now, after building up about a months worth of canned/boxed/noodles/meats/chilli - we came into/saved a little money. If this somehow happens to you - consider adding bulk food to your plans. This is what my family did. The first time we could spare some money - we bought 3 months of food for one person - because thats 1 month of food per person if you're a family of three...two people would stretch that total a little further.

So, to that point - the first link - and others will no doubt jump in to offer advice - and even regarding this link I offer it more for the calorie calculator than the specific food brand:

http://www.foodinsurance.com/long-term-meals (find the "emergency food calculator")

Sam's Club has a version of bulk/emergency food called "Augeson Farms" at more reasonable prices (and if you'll look at the link they sometimes include a "free gift" for ordering this way - my gift was a 55 gallon water barrel!):

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/search/searchResults.jsp?searchCategoryId=all&searchTerm=augason farms&fromHome=yes&_requestid=280474

Here's another we used:

http://beprepared.com/category.asp?c=64

Do you have a gun in the house? If so do you have ammunition for it? We can visit there next...but I don't want to overload you. There are also some basic first aid/medical Prepps you should also consider...and at some point communications will need to be considered...but I think some of the most pressing needs (at least to me) have been addressed. Maybe someone else can overrule me on some of this, or offer better options - but it's at least a starting point!

Hope this is what you were looking for!

Hi White Tiger, Thank you so much for the information. I knew this website would be brimming with great people who want to help each other!!!! I have checked out the Sams Club and the prices for Augeson Farms are much more reasonable. I think your idea to buy the 3 months supple for one person when you have extra money is a great idea. I already have about 2 months supply of food for 2 people including canned/boxed/rice/chile/soup/rice/flour/pasta and plenty of peanut butter. We do have a gun but probably not enough ammunition and no first aid and not enough water.

We did buy a small place on the river about 30 minutes away. My husband plans on doing a lot of fishing. But we need to figure a way to purify the water. There is woods and deer and tons of hogs. But you are right , it can be overwhelming. I will buy the book and the buy one get one free is a great idea. Thanks again

Hi White Tiger, Thank you so much for the information. I knew this website would be brimming with great people who want to help each other!!!! I have checked out the Sams Club and the prices for Augeson Farms are much more reasonable.
That's what we found - but I have to tell you that I believe there is more food in the eFoods Direct cans. We bought from three different companies (three different times) in order to get 1 year of food for 3 people...we also decided to buy some from Mountain House..and the difference we started planning around is - rather than buy freeze-dried ingredients to make meals from - we decided to buy pre-made meals. It saves time and, when considering the number of different cans that have to be opened in order to make a meal - it saves money to buy pre-made meals. It should probably be something to consider.
I think your idea to buy the 3 months supple for one person when you have extra money is a great idea. I already have about 2 months supply of food for 2 people including canned/boxed/rice/chile/soup/rice/flour/pasta and plenty of peanut butter.
Great job - that's difficult to do - you're definitely paying attention to the signs of the times! I can't tell you the number of folks I've spoken to that sense what we do - but just won't act!? It's like they're paralyzed! I don't think it's paralysis of fear, I think it's a paralysis due to how much lies ahead and rather than try to get their head around it - they ignore it!
We do have a gun but probably not enough ammunition and no first aid and not enough water.

Well the gun/ammo situation is a little tough right now - but unlike normal periods - I believe ammo is something that needs to be stock-piled. Because whatever you paid a month ago was cheap compared to what you pay to acquire either a gun or ammunition, today. I keep 500 rounds of ammunition per pistol. I have a semi-auto rifle which has a higher feed rate than a bolt action rifle, due to it's versatility, it could be used for hunting - so I have way more than 500 rounds.

As for the first aid - not sure exactly what you're looking for - but there are several options: here's a place to find different types of medic packs:

US Patriot Tactitical

for antibiotics check out CalVet Supply

Yes, fish and animal antibiotics are the exact same as those humans take - even the same dosages. The difference is access is not determined by a doctors prescription. I looked at the antibiotics I normally needed over the past couple of years and added those to my medical storage.

Even though you have said you have water - you still want some storage (maybe closer to your home), here are some options for large quantity water storage planning:

For short term emergencies - where your water service is not disrupted: The Water Bob

Be Prepared.com - Water Storage
We did buy a small place on the river about 30 minutes away. My husband plans on doing a lot of fishing. But we need to figure a way to purify the water.

Got an answer for this as well - a few years ago my son and I hiked a section of the Appalachian Trail, it was awesome, but during the planning stages I learned that bad water is a problem hikers fear the most! The product they use to insure against this problem is one I have incorporated into my water storage/treatment plan:

Aqua Mira comes in different sizes for different applications. My son and I have used the smaller system on the trail...but I have enough to treat two 55 gallon drums...I also store about a months supply of water using Nestlé's bottled water (buy it at Sam's Club for about $3.99 per 36 count pack).
There is woods and deer and tons of hogs. But you are right , it can be overwhelming. I will buy the book and the buy one get one free is a great idea. Thanks again

Awesome that you moved to be near a source of water and game, and while I dont know your motivation or situation, I bet it offers you a level of security. Land and neighbors that you can develop some sense of community with is a very important and under-developed prepp! Great job - you guys are ahead of the curve!

Again, hope it helps. Don't mean to dominate the conversation, but I have stopped trying to wake folks up...and only desire to talk to folks now who are awake and looking for help - like where I was a few years ago...to think of where we are now...as opposed to where we've come from - well, It's been a journey and has taken some work. I guess what I am saying is, I don't mind helping folks that are looking for help - I can share what I've done and maybe it will help others!

I should also add...that due to living in Hurricane Central - my family has become intimately familiar with the importance of several different types of emergency food/planning.

For short term emergencies - we have MRE's (Meals Ready to Eat). These are pre-cooked and are 2400 calorie food packages. It's actually built for folks expending a lot of energy during, or immediately after an emergency. Like trying to remove tree limbs from your bedroom, or your neighbors car..cutting up trees with chain saws, etc., you burn a lot of calories during these times. If you use these when you're not expending a lot of energy - one packaged meal would actually serve you a couple of meals per day...so it's. a good idea to have some of these (I have about 2 weeks of these set aside and were probably the FIRST prepp I ever bought).

Here's an option for this: The Ready Store

Also added some of this: Amazon.com: Provident Pantry 14 day emergency supply

There are different things to prepare for - does the emergency look to be a short term issue, or a long term issue? For instance; we plan on "Bugging In" - but if we were forcibly evacuated due to a storm, we would need a "Bug Out" plan...in that regard I have a couple of "Go Bags" that have a few days of camping food (Individual dehydrated meal pouches), emergency cooking devices, ammunition, sleeping kit, mess kit, eating utensil, wire saw, candles, flash lights, matches/fire starter, and a couple of hand held radios...

Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

You have come to the right place when it comes to prepping on a shoe string budget.
At this site there some of the most knowledgeable people who are more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Latest posts

Back