New to prepping but lots of military experience

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARMY127

Weapons Expert
Reaction score
My name is SSG George O. And I am new to prepping per say but spent 15 years in the military, US Navy (5 years active) as an aviation mechanic, and then 3 years in the Navy Reserves as a Sea-Bee Combat Engineer. I then spent the rest of my career in the Army, both active, and then NJ Army National Guard as a UH-60 Blackhawk Crew Chief and Door Gunner in an Air Assault Battalion. (1/150th, 28th CAB). I was also the unit armorer and spent 2 years on the NJ ARNG Shooting Team. I own quite a few firearms, and have a large quantity of ammo as well. I have my out of state CCW permit from Utah and Florida, and I am on the way to becoming an NRA Instructor for Rifle, Pistol, and Shotgun. I spent 15 years in the service until I was wounded on my second tour in Iraq in Helicopter accident in 2009.

I own many firearms listed as follows: Sig P228 9mm, Sig P220 Combat .45, Beretta PX4 Storm .45, Remington 1911R1 .45 (with custom work done to it), Citadel .45 Wounded Warrior Edition (for display but can fire), Ruger M77 .308 Gunsite Scout( w/TA33 3x30 ACOG), Ruger 10/22, Marlin 336WS .30-.30, Henry Lever action 22LR AND 45-70, Benelli Supernova 12 gauge in desert camo, Winchester 1300 12 gauge, a Custom Built AR-15 done all by me, and getting Sig 2022 .357 sig, and Ruger LCR .357mag. I also have ammo in amounts I will not disclose.

I also was my unit armorer as I said so I am pretty good with fixing and customizing some guns and always trying to learn as much as I can for that. I have also trained many Soldiers, in weapons and tactics, and I spent 14 months In Saudi Arabia training their Military. I have worked with SOCOM doing Helicopter Insertion and Extractions all over the world for both Navy and Army Special Forces Units.

I have a few cases of MRE's and 25 gallons of water, as well as in the process of buying a water purification system. I do have a bug out bag with a few MRE's a pistol and shotgun strapped to it, as well as clothes ammo and a water purification straw in it. I can be discrete and blend into a crowd when needed as well. I guess that's about it for now. I hope you guys can help me and if I can help anyone I certainly will try. Thanks for having me on your forum. ( I can of course back up all of these statements with paperwork, medals, and pictures if that's really necessary).

My name is SSG George O. And I am new to prepping per say but spent 15 years in the military, US Navy (5 years active) as an aviation mechanic, and then 3 years in the Navy Reserves as a Sea-Bee Combat Engineer. I then spent the rest of my career in the Army, both active, and then NJ Army National Guard as a UH-60 Blackhawk Crew Chief and Door Gunner in an Air Assault Battalion. (1/150th, 28th CAB). I was also the unit armorer and spent 2 years on the NJ ARNG Shooting Team. I own quite a few firearms, and have a large quantity of ammo as well. I have my out of state CCW permit from Utah and Florida, and I am on the way to becoming an NRA Instructor for Rifle, Pistol, and Shotgun. I spent 15 years in the service until I was wounded on my second tour in Iraq in Helicopter accident in 2009.

I own many firearms listed as follows: Sig P228 9mm, Sig P220 Combat .45, Beretta PX4 Storm .45, Remington 1911R1 .45 (with custom work done to it), Citadel .45 Wounded Warrior Edition (for display but can fire), Ruger M77 .308 Gunsite Scout( w/TA33 3x30 ACOG), Ruger 10/22, Marlin 336WS .30-.30, Henry Lever action 22LR AND 45-70, Benelli Supernova 12 gauge in desert camo, Winchester 1300 12 gauge, a Custom Built AR-15 done all by me, and getting Sig 2022 .357 sig, and Ruger LCR .357mag. I also have ammo in amounts I will not disclose.

I also was my unit armorer as I said so I am pretty good with fixing and customizing some guns and always trying to learn as much as I can for that. I have also trained many Soldiers, in weapons and tactics, and I spent 14 months In Saudi Arabia training their Military. I have worked with SOCOM doing Helicopter Insertion and Extractions all over the world for both Navy and Army Special Forces Units.

I have a few cases of MRE's and 25 gallons of water, as well as in the process of buying a water purification system. I do have a bug out bag with a few MRE's a pistol and shotgun strapped to it, as well as clothes ammo and a water purification straw in it. I can be discrete and blend into a crowd when needed as well. I guess that's about it for now. I hope you guys can help me and if I can help anyone I certainly will try. Thanks for having me on your forum. ( I can of course back up all of these statements with paperwork, medals, and pictures if that's really necessary).
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Should you have any questions or need help with anything feel free to ask. The members on here are more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Thanks for your service Army. Went into the USMC 39 years ago. Spent four years as a jar head, and and that was enough for me. I still appreciate the training I received that has served me well my entire life since. It was an opportunity for me to serve my country and grow up at the same time. I'll leave my MOS off the board, but I do appreciate the personal cost to each who serve, myself included. So my gratitude is genuine. Still getting my site legs under me, but look forward to good discussions and sharing of knowledge from the group.

Thank you as well Chance and I understand you leaving off your MOS. No problem there. I just thought it would give everyone a good idea of my credentials and experience with all of those areas. I could've been more general I guess but I hope that we can all be open here though I k ow it may not be the best to talk about everything. I will never go into details about my missions or where I was stationed or anything like that and let's say I left out some things on the civilian and Military sides as well. Anyway welcome to the site and I hope we can chat and exchange ideas.

Thanks act, and thank you for your service as well. I hope we can chat and exchange ideas in the future

Thanks guys and its been good to talk with all of you.

Good Morning. Sorry it has taken so long to respond. I wasn't trying to discourage you. I feel comfortable sharing on the site. I guess I'm a little leary of sharing too much personal information. We keep our preps close, so we don't get overwhelmed if something does happen. We know alot of people who say they believe something is emminent, but they are not preparing, and know we probably are. May be paranoia, but may not be too. Since we don't store years of supplies, and plan to rely heavily on renewable resources, we couldn't support many for long. We feel we contribute by teaching those that want to learn, what is available, and around them. They can walk right by a water source looking for a drink. lol Watch food prance accross the prairie because they didn't learn the many ways to secure them. Look at fertile soil because they didn't have the forethought to put seed away. We believe life has to have a certain level of quality to be worth living. Some disasters will destroy so much, there is no quality to our life. We definately don't want to barely survive while we wait on something worse to happen. We expect to still have depth to our lives and rebuild at some point. As most of us know, a strong building has a good foundation. so with that in mind, we are learning and living a lifestyle that promotes survival, quality, and life itself. Hey, life still has to be fun and rewarding. Prepared families will still thrive and form bonds with others. That could lead to communites forming. sharing of knowledge, resources, improved security for everyone, and increasing the quality of our lives. I guess we may have a different perspective about it than most. We aren't crawling into a hole for very long, if we even have to. That just wouldn't provide a good life for us. It might be good for initial survival, but can you imagine, that becoming your long term home? If the world is that dangerous and contaminated, well what's the point? It would quite literally take decades for some contaminents to degrade to a point we could survive. So we cross our fingers, and prepare for disasters that are actually survivable. lol Economic, Terrorist, Natural, Civil, Celestrial, and on and on. We promote basic, resourceful, earthy, independant living.
Happy, healthy, and successful, because we make it that way. Hope we haven't offended anyone. We love the forum, and the freedom to express ourselves and get feedback. We are really interested in other people's perspectives and prospectives also, and hope through the exchanges, we refine our ideas and improve our chance's ( Yes pun intended), of going through and coming out of a disaster wiser, stronger, and better than before! :)

Thanks Chance and that is an excellent outlook and one that I share with you as well. It isn't worth it if you have to live in a bunker eating freeze dried food for 2 years. I would go stir crazy and if there isn't some degree of quality of life left then you are right, what is the point. I am also trying to prep the same way. I have a seed stash and a do have a few cases of MRE's as well. I also have around 15 days of water stored, but if I stay here water is one thing I will not need to worry about as I live one street off of a huge lake. Which in turn provides water and food. So I can concentrate more on security here and that is something I will not go into detail about with the exception of the guns I have listed here. I have a lot of military and security training that lets just say I have put to good use around my house and can set up a multi layered defense in a few hours if needed. I also believe in using dogs as a part of your security. I have a Mastiff mix and in the next year will be getting 2 more pure Mastiff pups. These dogs are amazing and can take down a man with ease. They were used by the Romans as war dogs that fought in many battles. One of the best early warning systems as well. But I will go no further into security at my place. If someone has security questions I will definitely try to answer them though. Just not about what I do specifically for my own area.

Thanks Chance and that is an excellent outlook and one that I share with you as well. It isn't worth it if you have to live in a bunker eating freeze dried food for 2 years. I would go stir crazy and if there isn't some degree of quality of life left then you are right, what is the point. I am also trying to prep the same way. I have a seed stash and a do have a few cases of MRE's as well. I also have around 15 days of water stored, but if I stay here water is one thing I will not need to worry about as I live one street off of a huge lake. Which in turn provides water and food. So I can concentrate more on security here and that is something I will not go into detail about with the exception of the guns I have listed here. I have a lot of military and security training that lets just say I have put to good use around my house and can set up a multi layered defense in a few hours if needed. I also believe in using dogs as a part of your security. I have a Mastiff mix and in the next year will be getting 2 more pure Mastiff pups. These dogs are amazing and can take down a man with ease. They were used by the Romans as war dogs that fought in many battles. One of the best early warning systems as well. But I will go no further into security at my place. If someone has security questions I will definitely try to answer them though. Just not about what I do specifically for my own area.

Hey Army. Thanks for your response. The dogs are a good idea and great for security. Just remember they are three more mouths to feed, waste control, water, health care, ............and they are pretty big dogs. i'm familar with the breed. My wife's Dad, had several on his ranch. Very loving, protective, and large. Can also create a security risk in a covert situation where stealth is essential. Just doing the devil's advocate thing. It sounds like you are going to take your stand at your home. We will also, but depending on circumstances, have a bug out plan, and several potential sites to go to. I would imagine many people will be attracted to the lake for the same reasons you are. So it could present a danger even going one street over to the lake, if it has attracted many people, or some group has taken over water rights. We have stored about 200 gallons of water in 1 to 5 gallon containers, that we can transport if necessary. We intend to supplement all our food stores with natural resources, so they will stretch much further than if they were all we depended on. We are using several forms of dehydration to preserve foods. We have vacum sealed in bulk, and in seperate
complete meal bags that just need rehydrated to use. Like your MRE's. We received mostly K-rations when i was in. lol Beef stew, fruits, and crackers and cheese were the best for me. We tried to add variety to our mixes. We bought a commercial model and have found we can vacum seal quite a few handy items. We also have quite a few stored seed, all heirloom. We didn't vacum seal them as they are living things. Stored in a low moisture container, and maintained as much as possible at around 40 degrees, most should remain viable for 3 to 10 years and some longer.
I'm thinking maybe we should chage to a themed forum thread. lol
We are still on the welcome one. Guess I will do some site searching. I will have some secutiy questions for you. Most of what I know is pretty basic.
I know quite a bit about weapons, and not just guns, but I am not a weapons expert. So I'll put some questions I have, together, and give you a shout soon.

I love Mastiffs. I have one now and have had either them or Boxers my whole life. They are big and definitely a consideration when it comes to food, healthcare etc. waste is not a big deal except to clean up as I have a system buried in my yard that all the dog waste goes in to decompose. They really are not a security concern if well trained as they will not bark if I tell them to keep quiet. There are special words for each command I give and I speak in German since not many people can understand or speak German. A quality dog is better than a human as far as I am concerned. chance, give me a shout on personal conversation here and I will try to answer as many questions as I can for you. Just hit me up any time.

I love Mastiffs. I have one now and have had either them or Boxers my whole life. They are big and definitely a consideration when it comes to food, healthcare etc. waste is not a big deal except to clean up as I have a system buried in my yard that all the dog waste goes in to decompose. They really are not a security concern if well trained as they will not bark if I tell them to keep quiet. There are special words for each command I give and I speak in German since not many people can understand or speak German. A quality dog is better than a human as far as I am concerned. chance, give me a shout on personal conversation here and I will try to answer as many questions as I can for you. Just hit me up any time.

I'll do that Army 127. Thanks

Latest posts

Back