New to here!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotherBear

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am new to this site and frankly new to the prepping idea. I do agree it's a good idea and I do want to protect myself and my family.

I live in Minnesota and am married. We have 7 children.

I am just starting on the prepping thing and could use some ideas. Food, Ammo, Shelter, necessities....Any other specific things I should consider?

welcome to the site..its a GREAT resource. Just looking around will give you great ideas! It did for me
again welcome and we look forward to hearing more from you!!

Welcome to the forum. :)

Some other questions may help us better assist you in your efforts...

Are you planning to bug in? (i.e. stay in your home?), or make a run to some other secure location? (will really impact your plan)
Do you or other members of the household work far from home? (to see if you need to consider how to get home if something happens while at work)
Are you in a major city or more rural? (different strategies for each)
Do you have a well, or city water? (water is the first important item, as you can't live without it for long)
How old are the kids? (infants, toddlers, kids, teens)? (so we know what challenges there)

7 kids, whew! Any pets to consider?

Some general advice....

For long term survival, these two are crucial.....
Renewable water source: Whether a well, rain water collection, or access to local freshwater sources
Renewable food source: A garden, raised chickens, raised rabbits, etc.

Home-canned food lasts a LONG time (5-10 years or more)
Dehydrate your own food, and make your own survival food
Store bought canned food typically lasts 1-3 years
Stored water should be treated/purified after 6 months
Dry pasta, rice, corn, beans, mashed potato flakes can last 15 years or more if stored properly

Try to stock up on things you actually eat, and can rotate through, constantly keeping your stockpile fresh. You don't want to have to add a major diet change to your challenges.

Learn at least the basics of hunting and fishing (or designate some of the kids for it).

If you don't currently use firearms or keep them in the house, make sure EVERYONE in the house is trained on them, and in gun safety. Keep the guns somewhere locked up, preferably with trigger locks too. Same with ammo. Gun safes are expensive. For a cheaper solution, add an exterior doorknob with lock to a closet instead. A range or friend with guns can usually help you find a gun that works for you, your size, and any other attributes. Ask 12 people what is the best gun, and you'll get at least 10 different answers.

Don't panic. Chances are you'll never have to go through a SHTF event, so live for today, but with just an eye out for tomorrow. Don't let fear grip you, or hold you back. Treat it as a hobby, and it will be one, vs. an obsession.

Hello an welcome aboard. At first glance this can be overwhelming. Just do the basics to start . Water, food, protection, shelter. Look around for what can be used that you already have. Start small and it will all come together. I am a big fan of GHB get home bag. Some supplies stashed in the car just in case. Everyone has different prep needs so build it for your needs and area. Have fun and it also gives peace of mind.

Welcome to the forum. Dive in and get a look at all we have to offer.

Hello everyone.

I am new to this site and frankly new to the prepping idea. I do agree it's a good idea and I do want to protect myself and my family.

I live in Minnesota and am married. We have 7 children.

I am just starting on the prepping thing and could use some ideas. Food, Ammo, Shelter, necessities....Any other specific things I should consider?
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask (post) and questions you may have in the proper area, as the members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Hello and welcome! I think Gazrok just about covered it but have you ever considered prepper podcasts off iTunes? I got a lotta good ideas from them.

Latest posts

Back