New to here and prepping

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaS

Reaction score
Hi everyone
My name is Linda and I am new to prepping. I am the mother to two adorable children (1 & 3 yrs) and happily married to my husband of 4 1/2 years.

I've decided to start prepping because I want to be able to keep my family safe in the event of an emergency. My husband does not agree with me, so I'm doing this secretly and just reaching out for support from others who understand the need to prep.

Thanks

Welcome A (I'm trying to speak Canadian). I'm happy you are here. There are many really cool and helpful people here.

What are you doing to get your husband into prepping?

You mean eh rofl ;). As for hubby, well I'm starting small with him, as he is as stubborn as a mule. So I'm trying to convince to prepare for small emergencies, the ones where you're told to keep a 2 week supply of food and water on hand. He doesn't know it, but I've already got our water. Great deal at Babies R Us here in Canada. Distilled water (they call it nursery water) on for 4 for $4.00, has a two year shelf life unopened. I bought 8 4-ltr jugs. They're hidden in my office closet.

I like that. Start small with him. You know the old frog in the hot water trick.

I would occasionally ask him what he would do in certain scenarios to protect and feed his kids. Like when you are watching the news or even on different drama programs. Hopefully when he starts seeing that we can't always react to situations with a positive outcome if we didn't previously prepare. This hopefully would start getting his mind in the Prepper mindset. Then maybe drop... "hunny (darling, baby, or sugarbooger) wouldn't that be nice to have an extra box of .... just in case?"

PS... you will need more water. But you have a base. That is a good start. I am pretty new to prepping too.

Welcome to the prepper community and forums, we are glade u signed up and joined, ask myself or any of the members on here and we will all try to answer all of your questions asap and in a timely manner.:tank:

Hey Linda, I took an idea from someone (I think from this forum) and we call our Prepping food, "our pantry". So to others they don't see our canned goods as Crazy Prepping Stuff... they see it as our pantry (well, that's the goal). Just an idea... hope it helps.

Hi everyone
My name is Linda and I am new to prepping. I am the mother to two adorable children (1 & 3 yrs) and happily married to my husband of 4 1/2 years.

I've decided to start prepping because I want to be able to keep my family safe in the event of an emergency. My husband does not agree with me, so I'm doing this secretly and just reaching out for support from others who understand the need to prep.

Thanks
You mean eh rofl ;). As for hubby, well I'm starting small with him, as he is as stubborn as a mule. So I'm trying to convince to prepare for small emergencies, the ones where you're told to keep a 2 week supply of food and water on hand. He doesn't know it, but I've already got our water. Great deal at Babies R Us here in Canada. Distilled water (they call it nursery water) on for 4 for $4.00, has a two year shelf life unopened. I bought 8 4-ltr jugs. They're hidden in my office closet.
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

I am glad to see you have taken the initiative even against resistance. Initially my wife wasn't to keen on this whole prepping thing. Then we had a mandatory evacuation when some idiot with Cal Trans (road crew) hit a gas main by our house. This helped me get her to start entertaining the idea of prepping so I told her I was prepping us for an earthquake, as we live in california. She has now really gotten in to it by reading some of the posts on here, watching the news, etc.

I think most spouses eventually come around and start supporting the other.

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Welcome!
My wife too, isnt much into prepping, even made fun of it for a bit, untill everyone told here it was a great idea, including the nure at the hospital who admited she was a prepper too.
After seeing such things as Katrina or the hurricane that hit the east coast, many are realizing its useful to prepp.
My advice, dont hide it, do it in front of him, just dont get carried away to where it causes problems between you guys. buy small things and tell him, nothing might happen, but youll be glad i did this if it does.

Hell, blame America for your prepping, tell him, "if America goes into economic collapse, whats that do to our economy?"
If shtf here, north americans will most likely head more north and most likely into Canada, whats that mean for you and yours?

Theres alot of excuses to prep, but not one i can think of not too.

Oh thats good imma put that in my sig lol

Welcome!
My wife too, isnt much into prepping, even made fun of it for a bit, untill everyone told here it was a great idea, including the nure at the hospital who admited she was a prepper too.
After seeing such things as Katrina or the hurricane that hit the east coast, many are realizing its useful to prepp.
My advice, dont hide it, do it in front of him, just dont get carried away to where it causes problems between you guys. buy small things and tell him, nothing might happen, but youll be glad i did this if it does.

Hell, blame America for your prepping, tell him, "if America goes into economic collapse, whats that do to our economy?"
If shtf here, north americans will most likely head more north and most likely into Canada, whats that mean for you and yours?

Theres alot of excuses to prep, but not one i can think of not too.

Oh thats good imma put that in my sig lol
I took my son to the Doctor yesterday and when went to the window I heard the nurses talking about how they were going to start prepping because of all the things going on. I just piped in and said "Why wouldn't you prep? You'd be crazy not to."

I took my son to the Doctor yesterday and when went to the window I heard the nurses talking about how they were going to start prepping because of all the things going on. I just piped in and said "Why wouldn't you prep? You'd be crazy not to."
In those situations, i invite them to this site!

I have found in my experience that when explaining prepping I use the Insurance analogy. Would you drive your car without insurance, Sure, But what happens if you get into an accident well then your screwed, No, then your covered but why pay for something that "might" happen? cuz you know sooner or later its going to happen. Prepping is the same thing.

Hand him a jar of Vaseline and a pillow and blanket. When he asks whats this for tell him sweetly. "If my ideas of doing just a little something extra to ensure the safety and well being of OUR family are not in lines with your, then your not in my bed either!" Of course this may be a bit harsh.....

OR you can do the spare tire speech... here it is.

Do you keep a spare tire in your vehicle.
Yes, of course I do.
Why do you keep the spare in there?
Incase I get a flat and need it.
DO you also keep the tools necessary to fix it?
Yes, I keep a jack and lug wrench.
SO, you keep th necessary items needed for this particular eventuality, a flat tire. Congratulations your a prepper too! You have PREPARED for this particular possibility and that is all I am doing too!
(This is usually where you get the sputtering and stupid looks.)

This works a bit better.

If you don't know how to then a good place to start prepping is to learn how to distill water for yourself because you can start with very poor quality water that will make you realy sick and make it perfectly drinkable very simply , you wouldn't need to rely as much on storing water then just store some kit do distill , pressure cooker, hose or pipe, camping stove with plenty of fuel an some containers , jobs a goodun

Hi everyone

Thanks
Hi & Welcome. As you see you have found the Prepper Think Tank. Your smart and a good mother. These guys & gal's come up with everything.
Enjoy, you will like it here.

And you of course gave Doomsday Prepper Forums a shamless plug... right? lol

If you haven't already - I would definitely start with my Stealth Prepper 101: buy ANY and ALL of the buy-one-get-one-free items when grocery shopping! My nephew started this way, he then took over a coat closet and stored all the extras behind the coats...his wife found it when he had 3 months of canned/dry goods stored (the piles of cans toppled over and he had to confess). He told his wife it was for emergencies...I encouraged him to keep expanding...but that he would eventually have to "have it out" with her.

The thing that got me kick-started was an actual dream I had where the S has just HTF - my son and wife turn to me and ask: "you mean you thought this could happen but you didn't DO anything about it? why did you leave us so exposed...?".

I figure, if you're gonna have a fight - it might as well be on your terms. The time to have that argument is before an event and maybe after you have quite a tidy heap. There are also food storage calculators on the interwebs to help calculate how many calories each person in your family would require (you can live for a few weeks without food...but only a few days without water...so water is a BIG issue...and you need a LOT of it).

But good job STARTING - took a big fight for my wife and I to get in the same page...and we both believed it was important...so again, great job!

Latest posts

Back