New prepper

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahipes

Reaction score
Hello from Va. I am a new prepped and have been stock piling bottled water and canned food. I have found many good canned meats such as corn beef hash which has meat and potato's in one can. Spam and other meats like that. I have stock piled beans, rice and peanut butter. What else is a good food to stock up on?

Canned or dried fruit is also good to have. Proteins and starches are all well and good but you need a balanced diet. Not to mention a little fiber.

Potato flakes also keep for a long time. Dry cereals too. If you have access though, home-canned fruits and veggies. Powdered milk, powdered butter, sugar, flour, are also good. Dry pasta is another good one.

You should also have a can-opener or several. In my experience, they always go missing when you need them.
And I know you didn't ask, but here is a tip:
When storing dry food, remember to keep moist away. I keep stuff like flour and sugar in airtight jars with a packet of moisture absorber (like the ones in shoeboxes) taped to the inside of the lid. If moisture gets inside, the food will become spoiled.

When it comes to the type of food you should store: variation is key. You need a variation of vitamins, minerales, fats, etc. to stay alive and well functioning. The affect on the body if there are something missing.... Let me put it like this: I had vitamin-D deficiency that caused musculare pain and sleepless nights, sometimes I would not be able to get out of bed. It may also cause osteoporosis (brittle bones) over time. Read online what your body needs and check the lables on your food.
Also, test the food before stockpiling, that way you know if there are something that just won't go down. Create dishes with the food you are storing so that you know how and what tastes ok. At least that is what I do. If something works out, I write it down in my little "Doomsday cookbook".

I hope this is of some use :)

~Alex

Close to my bamboo field, which is only two meters by two meters, I converted part of a pool into a deep water rice paddy allowing me to harvest more than two, maybe four, kilograms every month.

Iv had a hard time with my bamboo it starts to do well then starts to die off agin .
DAK Hams store well .
One thing is to keep a good suply of stuff you already use onhand then your long term stuff .

Another note here, stock foods you actually EAT now. So you don't have a dietary shock to the system. If not already, work these foods into your NOW diet, so you grow accustomed to them. Also, remember that a true prepper is all about sustainability. You don't just want to rely on a stockpile. You want to be able to have renewable food and water resources.

My bamboo is almost directly above my bore hole so it always gets water and nutrients u have to trim about a meter every week. Storing foods are a very important thing and canned meat is quite a shock to the system so a diet mainly of starch is ideal with only ten percent protein.

I only have two Chankonabe dishes a day adding up to one thousand calories, perfect for prepping since it is easy to dry the ingredients and re-soak them in a stew.

I am still learning canning. believe it or not it is an art. 2 years of following recipes and all I get is rancid or bitter food. but I am trying to figure out how to sprout moringa oleifera seeds.

Latest posts

Back