New Prepper. Need Advice.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry all, been busy. Thank you all for your posts. It helps a lot. You all seem very nice and I will definitely consider prepping!

What do you guys do to prep?
Well that depends on what you are prepping for. Personally, I am not worried much about an EMP (natural or man-made) so I don't do any prepping in that area. I focus my attention towards Beans, Bullets, and Band-aids (food, weapons, and medical supplies). Right now I am mainly working on food and then medical supplies. There aren't many bullets out there for my weapons (mainly for two reasons ... the Department of Homeland Security buying millions/billions of rounds and people's fear that something is going to happen is causing them to buy up what ever makes it to the shelves).

As far as food... I store what I eat and eat what I store. I started off just storing rice and beans... it was cheap and I could get a lot of it. Now I'm storing more varieties of food. I just make sure that it has a good shelf life and that it is stored properly. I look at my food storage as a large pantry. I am now going to get some quick prep food (Freeze-dried and dehydrated food) so we can have some quick meals should we need them.

For my Medical supplies... I started off with a first aid kit and I am slowly building it up. I am including not just supplies but also training. On my way to church a couple of weeks ago a wreck happened right in front of me. Thanks to my limited training (CPR, First Aid... and the stuff I learned in the Army) I was able to quickly assess the situation and get one woman out of a car that was smoking even though she was hurt (I was concerned her car was going to catch fire)... I moved her to my car and had her sit down. I turned off her car... then I quickly assessed her injuries then checked the other woman... she couldn't be moved so told her to stay there ... I told both women that everything was going to be alright and help was on the way. What was nice, was that I knew that I was doing the right thing.

If you are truly concerned about zombies (which I wonder if you really are)... then you might consider buying a good aluminum bat, machete, cross-bow, and chainmail to keep zombie teeth from making contact with your fleshy parts.
images-zombie-eat-flesh-lg2-g_thumb_400x300.gif

Well that depends on what you are prepping for. Personally, I am not worried much about an EMP (natural or man-made) so I don't do any prepping in that area. I focus my attention towards Beans, Bullets, and Band-aids (food, weapons, and medical supplies). Right now I am mainly working on food and then medical supplies. There aren't many bullets out there for my weapons (mainly for two reasons ... the Department of Homeland Security buying millions/billions of rounds and people's fear that something is going to happen is causing them to buy up what ever makes it to the shelves).

As far as food... I store what I eat and eat what I store. I started off just storing rice and beans... it was cheap and I could get a lot of it. Now I'm storing more varieties of food. I just make sure that it has a good shelf life and that it is stored properly. I look at my food storage as a large pantry. I am now going to get some quick prep food (Freeze-dried and dehydrated food) so we can have some quick meals should we need them.

For my Medical supplies... I started off with a first aid kit and I am slowly building it up. I am including not just supplies but also training. On my way to church a couple of weeks ago a wreck happened right in front of me. Thanks to my limited training (CPR, First Aid... and the stuff I learned in the Army) I was able to quickly assess the situation and get one woman out of a car that was smoking even though she was hurt (I was concerned her car was going to catch fire)... I moved her to my car and had her sit down. I turned off her car... then I quickly assessed her injuries then checked the other woman... she couldn't be moved so told her to stay there ... I told both women that everything was going to be alright and help was on the way. What was nice, was that I knew that I was doing the right thing.

If you are truly concerned about zombies (which I wonder if you really are)... then you might consider buying a good aluminum bat, machete, cross-bow, and chainmail to keep zombie teeth from making contact with your fleshy parts.
images-zombie-eat-flesh-lg2-g_thumb_400x300.gif
haha I just didn't know what to put cause I'm unsure of how I feel about this whole thing so I put random things. Thank you! That helps a lot!!

Well C_Johnson... this is not like joining a cult... you don't have to dress like Rambo and eat bugs like Bear Grylls (unless you really want to). As a matter of fact there is a sizable number of people out there that are Preppers and you would have no idea they are preppers ... AND they want it that way (because should the SHTF they won't have tons of people running to them to help them out).

Remember Aesop's story of the ant and the grasshopper? That is what Prepping is all about. I listen to this wonderful Personal Financial Expert, Dave Ramsey, and he always says "If you will live like no one else, later you can live like no one else." He also says "Children do what feels good, adults devise a plan and follow it." Now he is talking about getting out of debt and financial planning but it directly applies to prepping, too. Prepare now for the future.

What is great about much of prepping is ... if nothing happens... nothing much is lost. I will end up eating the rice and beans because I like rice and beans. I will end up eating the canned green beans because I like them. I will have guns that can be used in sport and be passed down when I die. See my point?

Ok... for me I don't want to have to trust the government to bail me out in tough times. Do you? Like the wise sage Old_Anorak pointed out ...she didn't want to have to stand in line for government food or sleep in a government cot.... well me either.

I was up late till early this morning... so I hope I am making sense.

you are makeing sense bravery..and i my self do agree with all of what you just said..the government aint going to step in soon as they need too when it comes to helping everyone.even then.and even then, (IF) they do,they wont be able to help out as much as they need to..and because of that,(WE) need to do what we can to prepare for our selfs in every way possible if the time comes where we have to.

Not to mention, if it is a large scale incident such as Yellowstone blowing, the government won't be able to handle that much volume in population that need help. Wow, that was really bad sentence structure there.

At the very least, keep enough supplies in your home for a few weeks to take care of you and your families needs. I see that you are from Montana, let me ask you this. During the winter months do you pick up more things at the market just in case you get snowed in? If so, you are prepping already.

Eehh oohh....Anorak that was real bad sentence structure.......me and Jim can read it and understand it.....that means that probably no one else can. But the bright side is.....DPF Rosetta Stone version 11 ( country idiot) is worth every penny

Well Mr. Johnson I am glad your here and appreciate your honesty on your position in life. That makes you a valuable member on this site. You do not have to agree with anyone opinion , just respect it , as we will yours. That's how we glean nuggets from one another. See I'm already learning from you just by listening and trying to see what you see.

Prepping is a lifestyle everyone has in some way. Insurance is a great example of prepping, so is having jumper cables in your trunk or a first aid kit. Some types of prepping is more practical than others but having a BOB (bug out bag)and basic survival info is essential! There are thousands or reasons to have a back up plan, better safe than sorry, but I don't let it consume my life. hope to hear back from you!

What everyone says is soo true about prepping...it doesn't mean you are crazy or paranoid or even a conspiracy theorist...it just means you want to take care of your family and/or self in case of an emergency. One case in point, a couple years ago we had a bad storm come thru and take out the entire regions power. We could eat out every day but we couldn't flush our toilets, take showers, cook meals on our gas stove, our refrigerator and freezer was out...our power was out for 4-5 days and we were one of the early ones getting power back...I decided I didn't like the helpless feeling...so, now I prepare for the possibility of another storm (weather, economic, government or otherwise). I keep water on hand. I have foods stored that I can cook over a grill or in a sunoven. Like Bravery, I also need to learn to take care of medical emergencies (we live in MN where winters can strand us and/or cause travel to be nearly impossible so if a medical emergency happened at least I'd be less nervous and more aware). We also have learned to protect ourselves and our property...too often we hear stories about thugs wandering away from the city. We are remote enough that a call to 911 won't arrive in a timely manner. We've chosen not to be victims...so we prepare.

Wow everyone thank you so much for all your responses. You all really changed my outlook on prepping. Thank you!!

Latest posts

Back