New prepper in Oklahoma

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marquette

Reaction score
Hey everyone. My name is Marquette, and my husband and I live in rural Oklahoma. I'm fairly new to the whole prepping-thing, but I do feel its necessary. There is just too much going on in the world today, on top of natural disasters, not to prep.

I have been a hairstylist for just over 21 years, but have had to quit doing it because its no longer profitable, as my job was far enough away from home that it cost more in gasoline to get there than what I made. I'm now looking for work, and having a hard time of it. This is another reason I'm prepping, and learning to homestead to some extent. When you have next to no money it becomes necessary to do other things to survive.

We live on my husband's Uncle's land. He has about 18 acres, and eventually we are (supposed to be) buying one or two acres from him. Regardless, his uncle is very much like-minded as far as prepping. He has guns, where we don't yet, but I do feel safer just the same. If I can find a job (hahaha) I will be getting a gun too, and taking the course to become licensed to carry concealed, which in Oklahoma is now also a license for open-carry.

I must say, I don't hunt. I know that's a terrible thing, but I can't bring myself to shoot an animal in anything but absolute self-defense and/or in defense of my pets.

So far, we have chickens for the eggs, and since we moved out here too late to plant the gardens I wanted, I'm planning them for next spring. I don't know anything about cold-weather, or fall crops, so I can't say I will be planting them.

We won't have to bug-out if anything happens. We're already away from the cities. In fact, we're about 13 miles from the closest small town.

I'm pretty new to all this, and on a very limited budget, I have no idea where to start. And too, it will be nice to talk to like-minded people.

Blessings,
Marquette

Welcome Marquette, I'm not really new to the idea of prepping but I still think I'm a novice, but look around, there is something for everyone

Welcome to the forum. Depending on what you want to eat, you can have a fall garden if you start now. You are in the same growing zone I am, I do believe. You should be able to get some green beans, turnips, beets, and a few other things, especially if you can cover the rows with plastic on cold nights. If you don't want to try for a fall garden this year then get your garden spot plowed and ready for spring. We all understand tight budget. Is there a farmer's market you could sell baked goods at?

Welcome to the forum. Depending on what you want to eat, you can have a fall garden if you start now. You are in the same growing zone I am, I do believe. You should be able to get some green beans, turnips, beets, and a few other things, especially if you can cover the rows with plastic on cold nights. If you don't want to try for a fall garden this year then get your garden spot plowed and ready for spring. We all understand tight budget. Is there a farmer's market you could sell baked goods at?

The farmer's market, the big one, is in the city, and isn't doing so well. Right now I don't have enough food to bake anything, or I would. Its a thought though. I'll check into the green beans and such. :) Thanks!

Hey everyone. My name is Marquette, and my husband and I live in rural Oklahoma. I'm fairly new to the whole prepping-thing, but I do feel its necessary. There is just too much going on in the world today, on top of natural disasters, not to prep.

I have been a hairstylist for just over 21 years, but have had to quit doing it because its no longer profitable, as my job was far enough away from home that it cost more in gasoline to get there than what I made. I'm now looking for work, and having a hard time of it. This is another reason I'm prepping, and learning to homestead to some extent. When you have next to no money it becomes necessary to do other things to survive.

We live on my husband's Uncle's land. He has about 18 acres, and eventually we are (supposed to be) buying one or two acres from him. Regardless, his uncle is very much like-minded as far as prepping. He has guns, where we don't yet, but I do feel safer just the same. If I can find a job (hahaha) I will be getting a gun too, and taking the course to become licensed to carry concealed, which in Oklahoma is now also a license for open-carry.

I must say, I don't hunt. I know that's a terrible thing, but I can't bring myself to shoot an animal in anything but absolute self-defense and/or in defense of my pets.

So far, we have chickens for the eggs, and since we moved out here too late to plant the gardens I wanted, I'm planning them for next spring. I don't know anything about cold-weather, or fall crops, so I can't say I will be planting them.

We won't have to bug-out if anything happens. We're already away from the cities. In fact, we're about 13 miles from the closest small town.

I'm pretty new to all this, and on a very limited budget, I have no idea where to start. And too, it will be nice to talk to like-minded people.

Blessings,
Marquette
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask (post) and questions you may have in the proper area, as the members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Welcome aboard ! We just buy something extra each week to put in the prep supplies even if it's just a small bag of rice. Just start and you will be amazed how much you can achieve. Water.... 2 litter soda bottles work well for storage.

When I can, I do buy extra stuff. My husband really doesn't understand my 'prepping' mentality, or why I want to do it. He still thinks an economic collapse, or some such disaster is unlikely to happen. I told him to remember the ice storm we had a few years ago that left us without power for 3 weeks. He got very quiet. LOL We have a lot of room out here, so eventually I'm going to build a shed just for storage of food stuffs, and such.

When I can, I do buy extra stuff. My husband really doesn't understand my 'prepping' mentality, or why I want to do it. He still thinks an economic collapse, or some such disaster is unlikely to happen. I told him to remember the ice storm we had a few years ago that left us without power for 3 weeks. He got very quiet. LOL We have a lot of room out here, so eventually I'm going to build a shed just for storage of food stuffs, and such.

Welcome Marquette!
Old Anorak is spot on...there are still many things you can grow in your fall garden. There are also a ton of things you can do on a limited to no budget...for example, where is the closest dump? Most all dumps now have a separate area where folks dump building materials. This is where I picked up all the lumber, windows and doors for my first green house! We also built all our cold-frames for veggies, from pallet lumber, also recycled from the dump! Yard sales are where I found a couple hot-water-bath canners and loads of canning jars, usually <$1 per box of jars. Folks with fruit trees always let me have the culls or apples with bruises, etc. Boxes and Boxes of them!!! I have yet to pay for apples, pears, plums or peaches!! I can in excess of 150 quarts of fruit each year for my family....it is time consuming but every bit of it free!
I do have a thought regarding your job-situation. Being in health care, rural home health agencies across the country, are screaming for PCP help, (Personal Care Providers). To acquire this education entails a one-day class, paid for and provided by your local home health agency! This type work entails, cooking a meal or two for the home-bound patients to which you are assigned, you may be asked to grocery shop for them or do a bit of light house cleaning. The beauty of this job is its flexibility of schedule, they pay for your mileage in addition to your salary and one day a week of income would give you enough extra $$$ to seriously boost your preps! Just a thought.

Blessings,
Shenandoah

Welcome Marquette!
Old Anorak is spot on...there are still many things you can grow in your fall garden. There are also a ton of things you can do on a limited to no budget...for example, where is the closest dump? Most all dumps now have a separate area where folks dump building materials. This is where I picked up all the lumber, windows and doors for my first green house! We also built all our cold-frames for veggies, from pallet lumber, also recycled from the dump! Yard sales are where I found a couple hot-water-bath canners and loads of canning jars, usually <$1 per box of jars. Folks with fruit trees always let me have the culls or apples with bruises, etc. Boxes and Boxes of them!!! I have yet to pay for apples, pears, plums or peaches!! I can in excess of 150 quarts of fruit each year for my family....it is time consuming but every bit of it free!
I do have a thought regarding your job-situation. Being in health care, rural home health agencies across the country, are screaming for PCP help, (Personal Care Providers). To acquire this education entails a one-day class, paid for and provided by your local home health agency! This type work entails, cooking a meal or two for the home-bound patients to which you are assigned, you may be asked to grocery shop for them or do a bit of light house cleaning. The beauty of this job is its flexibility of schedule, they pay for your mileage in addition to your salary and one day a week of income would give you enough extra $$$ to seriously boost your preps! Just a thought.

Blessings,
Shenandoah

I've checked into the PCP jobs here, and the closest agency that provides this is over 50 miles away. I've spoken with them, and currently they are only hiring people with experience. The next closest to me is just under 80 miles away, and I did speak with them as well. Their 'clients' are all in that local area, so it wouldn't be feasible for me. (I have a cousin who suggested this a couple of weeks ago). I also just tried to apply at a local travel stop chain, and found out they do credit checks. (Really? are you KIDDING?) So I'm back to square one. Obviously, if you have bad credit today, you aren't employable. Which is dumb, because if you could work, you wouldn't have such bad credit, right? pffft....

As to the dump, I didn't know that!! I'll have to check that out. We are currently looking for free pallets to build with, and just went and picked up some stockade fencing pieces that the wood is still good on (mostly), although it can't be used as fencing anymore. I can still build with it. We don't have any local orchards, unfortunately, but I do plan on planting some fruit trees in spring. I know it will be a couple of years or so before they produce, but its the best I can do for now. I may be able to find an individual who has fruit trees who would part with a bushel or two but not too sure.

I'm currently looking in to planting a fall garden. I have two sites for Oklahoma that list out the things that will do well as a fall garden. I didn't realize there was so much I could still plant!

Welcome to the family! In WI are growing season is pretty short. I was going to suggest start preparing a garden spot for next spring. Till the garden area and kill the weeds now and it will save a ton of time and labor later. Can you start potatoes yet in your area? Onions to well also late in the garden. Just a few suggestions!

Trapper, I am working on the garden spot. My husband is working on the tiller now. it belongs to his uncle, and its not working, so Sam is trying to fix it. I told him that I wanted to try and plant a fall garden, so he is working on it more. Hopefully he can get it fixed in the next couple of days.

As to building a separate building for preps, you need to be sure your canned good do not freeze and thaw, freeze and thaw, etc. The food may still be edible but it will have the texture of baby crap and look about the same. And don't put anything home canned in an unheated building, they will bust in the winter. The big problem you will have will be field mice and rats coming in to help themselves to your food. If you think you are short on space, trust us, we can show you all kinds of ways to store/hide goods. Check CraigsList for personal care aide positions.

Latest posts

Back