New Prepper, any advice?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.GP-5

Reaction score
Hey there,

I have always been interested in the idea of preparing for whatever the future my hold but only recently have I started preparing for something that could very much change the way we live our lives.
As a teenager I don't have a lot of dollars on me so I can't afford nor do I have the storage for mass food supplies or water... yet. But I have invested in personal protection so far, I have a GP-5 gas mask, katana, night vision optics, range of camouflage clothing, things like that so I at least have the short term prepping dealt with.
Does anyone have any advice on were I should start investing next?

Thank you, oh plus I wanted to say hi!

Don't get caught on having "stuff". None of that stuff matters if you are dead... By that I mean you can only go on average 3 days without water. Everything else you can live without... Even food to a longer extent. You should have some water stored. Minimum of 1 gallon a day. Start small, plan for 3 days, then 1 week then 2 weeks. For $2.50 you can get 3 gallons of water from the grocery store or cheaper take it from your facet and bottle it yourself reusing other empty bottles.

Good afternoon!

I see what you mean, food and water is of above all importance to anything else when it comes to surviving. Ill definitely take your advice onboard, ill start building up a supply ASAP.

Cheers!

Also look at where you live... What are some specifics you want to prep for? A lot of us prep for more likely scenarios first and more drastics ones secondary. I.e. if you live in an area with harsh winter storms you may prep for being stranded in your home without power during a bad storm. A lot of times these preps also cover more drastic scenarios like a real SHTF. Something you can do on no budget is read. Empower yourself with knowledge when you have burned your budget.

Also don't be discouraged that many ofus seem way ahead. We've been at it for years, but congrats on taking the first step to self responsibility and recognizing we can't predict the future, but should be prepared for it good or bad.

That's a fantastic point, I will definitely take that into account, I should be looking into prepping for floods or tropical storms since that is what my area is prone to and then the more drastic ones on the sideline.

I think you are right, even with all of the prepping you would be powerless without knowledge.
I am actually quite inspired seeing how much other people on here have prepped, I'd like to be at their level some day.

Thanks for your advice, it means a lot, you've been very helpful and kind.
Best of luck!

howdy .... and welcome to the forum and family...there's quiet a few knowledgable folks here that'll gladly tell ya what you need to know,or at least point ya in the right direction and/or give ya a good idea or 2..and by all means jump right on in with any replys you have on a topic.and start new topics if/when needed....

Make a list of all the natural disasters that have already happened close to where you live, and then pitch the what ifs to whom ever you live with, show them that its not an "if" its a "when". If you can get them on board, it might make your storage issue a little less invasive.

Welcome.

First off, there are some things to consider. Do you plan on bugging out or bugging in for most scenarios? This is going to be the key thing that guides your preps.

Another issue is the katana. Is this a REAL (i.e. combat) weapon, or decoration? If the latter, and especially if you aren't actually trained or practiced in it's use, it will be more of a liability than an asset. It may be cool, but a good solid baseball bat or machete is likely a far more practical weapon in lieu of an actual firearm. Get yourself a good knife also (i.e. solid tang, not a hollow-handled survival knife).

Regardless of bugging in or out, there is a hierarchy to preps.

1. WATER - This is the most important, as 3 days without it, and you're toast. While storing it is one thing, knowing how and WHERE to find it is key. Even in an urban city environment, water is ALL around you. (i.e. in every toilet tank (not bowl), in garden hoses, in hot water heaters, rainfall, fountains, swimming pools, etc. Of course, also a good idea to know methods for making it safe to drink too.

2. DEFENSE - Yes, even higher than food, because if you can't defend what you have, then it isn't really yours. While a firearm is ideal, as a teen, likely not an option, so other alternatives like those already given.

3. FOOD - 3 weeks without it, and you die, but more importantly than that, a few days without it, and you'll be wishing for it. Like water, food is all around us, every day. Obvious choices are raiding stores, etc., but this is going to be a VERY dangerous idea, unless it is abandoned. (and especially without a firearm). Less obvious choices are insects, frogs, snakes, rats, and birds. Maybe not the most appetizing, but you'd be surprised how good a roasted frog tastes after a couple days of starving!

Number one piece of advice in any SHTF scenario....group up with folks for mutual protection and support OR lone wolf it and stay hidden. The latter is going to be very difficult without a firearm, and is really the most risky option, but a lot of it depends on the specific scenario. Eventually though, lone individuals are simply going to be targets of organized groups, or at least viewed as an outsider at best.

You may not have the resources for a lot of gear, but knowledge is free for the most part, so THAT is your real next investment. Learn how to hunt, fish, grow food, some basic first aid and medicine, etc.

Welcome.

First off, there are some things to consider. Do you plan on bugging out or bugging in for most scenarios? This is going to be the key thing that guides your preps.

Another issue is the katana. Is this a REAL (i.e. combat) weapon, or decoration? If the latter, and especially if you aren't actually trained or practiced in it's use, it will be more of a liability than an asset. It may be cool, but a good solid baseball bat or machete is likely a far more practical weapon in lieu of an actual firearm. Get yourself a good knife also (i.e. solid tang, not a hollow-handled survival knife).

Regardless of bugging in or out, there is a hierarchy to preps.

1. WATER - This is the most important, as 3 days without it, and you're toast. While storing it is one thing, knowing how and WHERE to find it is key. Even in an urban city environment, water is ALL around you. (i.e. in every toilet tank (not bowl), in garden hoses, in hot water heaters, rainfall, fountains, swimming pools, etc. Of course, also a good idea to know methods for making it safe to drink too.

2. DEFENSE - Yes, even higher than food, because if you can't defend what you have, then it isn't really yours. While a firearm is ideal, as a teen, likely not an option, so other alternatives like those already given.

3. FOOD - 3 weeks without it, and you die, but more importantly than that, a few days without it, and you'll be wishing for it. Like water, food is all around us, every day. Obvious choices are raiding stores, etc., but this is going to be a VERY dangerous idea, unless it is abandoned. (and especially without a firearm). Less obvious choices are insects, frogs, snakes, rats, and birds. Maybe not the most appetizing, but you'd be surprised how good a roasted frog tastes after a couple days of starving!

Number one piece of advice in any SHTF scenario....group up with folks for mutual protection and support OR lone wolf it and stay hidden. The latter is going to be very difficult without a firearm, and is really the most risky option, but a lot of it depends on the specific scenario. Eventually though, lone individuals are simply going to be targets of organized groups, or at least viewed as an outsider at best.

You may not have the resources for a lot of gear, but knowledge is free for the most part, so THAT is your real next investment. Learn how to hunt, fish, grow food, some basic first aid and medicine, etc.

Good evening!

Wow you have certainly given me a lot of fantastic advice, I thank you greatly, I will take all of these points into my prepping and hopefully progress well following these points.

I do have a great bug out location which already has water catchment facilities and basic vegetable gardens but I will still definitely need to stock up on water and food.

The katana I have is indeed a weapon, not a decoration, I don't intend on using it unless I absolutely have to in extreme situations during a major disaster etc. I see what you mean by having a machete or baseball bat as a more versatile weapon but I think it does the same job plus may have intimidating effects on an individual.

I do thank you again for your information about all the things I should be thinking about and considering when prepping!

as for buying whats needed.try the diffrent dollar stores,surpluse stores,pawn shops,yard sales,and so on.there are things at these places that are cheap enough.and be good idea for prepping.if you see some thing for sale.and it catchs your intrest or not..ask your self.do i really need this right now? and will it be usefull when tshtf happens?

Boots. Cat B or C boots.
Water Filter.
Read this: http://survivor-magazine.com/finding-collecting-water/ And try it all out.

A good gas mask and fire resistant or flame slowing clothing since your in australia. Afterall, A bushfire / Smoke inhalation sounds the likeliest for you. Get a bow with some arrows assuming firearms aint an option. learn to use these well on moving targets.

A katana is cool, but you'll hate the hack out of it after you walk a while with it. still if you insist. Get a good holster if you insist on logging it along: http://ravenswoodleather.com/index.php?p=product&id=123 Holding it in the hand is a total pain.

Don't forget to slightly cover the katana up in a way its not recognizable as a sword directly until you take the cover off. http://www.arscives.com/bladesign/images/1.full-sword-set.jpg And make sure the katana is a size that you can draw it from its scabbard with one hand. I'f you can't. That's pretty bad for you. You got no use for a heavy weapon when you cant even get to it quickly.
Learn to use the damned thing by doing some kendo, iaido or better yet, kenjutsu. If you don't learn any of these and don't at least follow the advice I just gave you. Then you really REALLY have to reconsider your choice of weapon.

Subscribe to preppers on youtube, see what they do to prepare.
Check topics out on this website.
List for yourself what things you think you need to be prepared for.
Set a goal for how long you think you need these preps to last you.
Prepare accordingly.

Good call on the boots. Don't skimp on footwear. And good advice if sticking with the sword. Be sure to carry a method for keeping it sharp. I've had a little bit of kenjutsu with one, but I simply don't trust myself not to slice my arm off. Then again, I prefer something I can point and shoot, and put down an attacker from a nice safe distance.

Hey there,

I have always been interested in the idea of preparing for whatever the future my hold but only recently have I started preparing for something that could very much change the way we live our lives.
As a teenager I don't have a lot of dollars on me so I can't afford nor do I have the storage for mass food supplies or water... yet. But I have invested in personal protection so far, I have a GP-5 gas mask, katana, night vision optics, range of camouflage clothing, things like that so I at least have the short term prepping dealt with.
Does anyone have any advice on were I should start investing next?

Thank you, oh plus I wanted to say hi!
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have in the proper area, and I know you will get an answer, as he members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

warm welcome. I'm 8 hours from you and from somewhere which doesn't allow firearms either :)

Hi and welcome to DPF from Finland.
really the advice about that knife is good, there are people here with extencive knowledge about blades of different types..I could point you in the direction of Roninsensei and TacOp87
take your time and roam around here,and someone will say to you that your best weapon is located between your ears; knowledge.
some of us have propably years of experience but the beauty of this forum is;we share knowledge :)

Latest posts

Back