New-no clue

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This priority issue is important. I want a SW setup but that is just about my last priority. I see this is the place to ask about it when the time comes. I only hope I have enough time for that time to come.

OK other hams have chimed in and now so will I. Your communication situation for direct, consistently reliable contact across 700 miles may be a challenge. I have always thought for longer distances, that a "pony express" message relay system would be more effective using 200-250 mile stations. This would allow a much more reliable transmission of messages using what is called an NVIS antenna rig. You will learn about the use that wire antenna and its corresponding frequencies based on condition of the appropriate layer in the atmosphere during your studies for the General license. Jim refers to an org for this message relay technique in post number 9.

There is alway something new (at least new to me) to learn though. I will be starting to train this summer on data transmission which is like sending emails rather than rely on voice message relays.

BUT as others have said, you have many more "t"s to cross and "i"s to dot in other areas before to get to that level of independent commo. Congrats though, your head is on the right tract.

I need info on where to start on communication outside of the grid. I have kids 700 miles away & I want to get equipment NOW to be able to reach them. I’ve consulted “Preppers” 10 yrs ago about preparing medically & have used their advise with antibiotics, IV fluids & an emergency surgical pack. With this crisis seeming to come close to civil war, I need to learn ham radio & contacts to keep communication going when we have to defend ourselves. I also have never owned a gun but am making plans to get one & training.
Where to start?
Since Ham Radio requires a license I recommend the study guide books by Gordon West. They don't require an engineering degree to understand nor do they cost a fortune. Here is a link for all three levels of licensing. https://www.amazon.com/shop/wj6f?listId=37U27DA97RVK3
Once you have the license then getting a radio and antenna will be the hectic part due to there being so many. But there is something for every price range!

Shelter, food, water, and security. What order should they be in? Well, the way I look at it is, if you are dead you're not going enjoy the food, water, and shelter.

Since Ham Radio requires a license I recommend the study guide books by Gordon West. They don't require an engineering degree to understand nor do they cost a fortune. Here is a link for all three levels of licensing. https://www.amazon.com/shop/wj6f?listId=37U27DA97RVK3
Once you have the license then getting a radio and antenna will be the hectic part due to there being so many. But there is something for every price range!
This.

Prepping basics
1. water
2. shelter
3. food
4. protection or communication
If you are in a city that uses VHF or UHF Fm radio system I would invest in a scanner. If you want to know what is going on in the country, I would invest in a shortwave or HF ham receiver.

[QUOTE="Dracos, post: 245058, member: 6000"
Shelter, food, water, and security. What order should they be in? Well, the way I look at it is, if you are dead you're not going enjoy the food, water, and shelter.
[/QUOTE]
Being "well protected" isn't likely to make starving or dying of thirst any more enjoyable

Latest posts

Back