New here & wanted to say hello

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crabapple

Reaction score
I was raised on a small farm, we heated with wood, milked our cows, made butter & butter milk.
I limbed up falling tree with a five pound ax in grade school & spilt wood for the wood stove.
We grew all our vegetables, picked both cultivated & wild fruit, built our rabbit boxes & made our own cain poles.
The farm house I was raised in is over 100 years old & has been used as a hay barn for the last thirty years.
We butchered rabbits,chicken, hogs, deer, squirrel, quail, doves, fish,eels, Dad took the cows to the town butcher.
Put up fence & maintained the fence on the property. We still garden today.
I worked as a machinist, heat treater, black oxide, pest control, home insulator, industrial Mechanic, furniture maker.
Plant propagation, nursery attendant, some yard maintenance & irrigation installer.
I am retired now, I do work with my son some & play on my Kubota tractor on my farm.

Welcome from Central TX. Sounds like you have a lot of self-sufficiency skills that will prove useful to prepping for life off the grid. My parents were raised on farms with those skills. But by the time I came along, Dad was a fighter pilot and we moved around every 2-3 years, so not all those skills were passed down to me and my brother. Fortunately, some were. :)

Welcome to the forum Crabapple. Sounds like you have a good amount of skills that can be passed down to our younger folks. We live on a small farm raising our own garden and livestock. My Jersey just gave birth a few days ago to her first calf. It’s been a few years since my last milk cow, but I have been training this one since she was 6 weeks old. She just turned 2 July 28th. She walks on a lead and loads into the milking staunch with no problem. Also doesn’t mind being hand milked. Haven’t put the machine on her yet.

I was raised on a small farm, we heated with wood, milked our cows, made butter & butter milk.
I limbed up falling tree with a five pound ax in grade school & spilt wood for the wood stove.
We grew all our vegetables, picked both cultivated & wild fruit, built our rabbit boxes & made our own cain poles.
The farm house I was raised in is over 100 years old & has been used as a hay barn for the last thirty years.
We butchered rabbits,chicken, hogs, deer, squirrel, quail, doves, fish,eels, Dad took the cows to the town butcher.
Put up fence & maintained the fence on the property. We still garden today.
I worked as a machinist, heat treater, black oxide, pest control, home insulator, industrial Mechanic, furniture maker.
Plant propagation, nursery attendant, some yard maintenance & irrigation installer.
I am retired now, I do work with my son some & play on my Kubota tractor on my farm.

Yep. Sound a lot like my dad who was also grew up a farmer. Jack of all trades! I am trying my best to follow in his footsteps. Welcome from Texas!

Latest posts

Back