New guy. Finding some research interesting.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumncguy

Reaction score
I dont like what I see in the States these days on so many fronts. I am not a paranoid kind of guy but believe in being prepared.

As I look around and try to learn from others, I find that I am in slight disagreement with how to start and what to go after first.

In my rookie who the hell cares opinion .. the following is the most important items to have in any emergency.

1. water (or a way to get it)
2. food
3. heat / fire
4. shelter
5. a way to protect ones self, family and "items".

I do live in the country and have well water. My system to grab water from the well isn't as sophisticated but works on the same principle.

If this becomes unavailable for one reason or another, there are very many rivers, streams, ponds and lakes in the area. If I have fire, I can boil drinking water.

Food is a bit tricky because what will happen first is the rape of the land. If bugging in, I should be ok with whats in the pantry and the buried 30 year food supplies should sustain I and the wife for some time.

Fire should be fairly easy based on what I have stored and also buried .. multiple pads of 000 steel wool, matches wet and dry, and multipacks of lighters and a few bags of charcoal.
Heat would come from of course warm clothing , mylar blankets and sleeping bags.. and fire.
Shelter .. a 4 man compact tent.

This is all aside from what is in the house today. Camping stove, Pantry items etc etc.

Again, because Im just gettng started Im thinking very bare minimum to survive should things go tits up.

My disagreement comes in with things like first aid, tools, radio, solar panels etc etc. Now dont get me wrong. Im not saying that all this wouldn't be a big help. All Im saying is; for me, it doesn't constitute the bare necessities a new bi needs to focus on.

Do I miss something ? I am ex-military. We were taught .. food, water, fire, shelter.
Comments .. suggestions very welcome.
Regards

I dont like what I see in the States these days on so many fronts. I am not a paranoid kind of guy but believe in being prepared.

Again, because Im just gettng started Im thinking very bare minimum to survive should things go tits up.

My disagreement comes in with things like first aid, tools, radio, solar panels etc etc. Now dont get me wrong. Im not saying that all this wouldn't be a big help. All Im saying is; for me, it doesn't constitute the bare necessities a new bi needs to focus on.

Do I miss something ? I am ex-military. We were taught .. food, water, fire, shelter.
Comments .. suggestions very welcome.
Regards

You are correct, however it can get more complex than that...

Water -SourceS the law of redundant redundancies. Two is one and one is none. You might be eyeballing that nice lake across the highway, but, there is a reason animals are PARANOID when they come to the watering hole.

Food - traditional stored food, things you need to preserve food so you can replace what you have consumed, seeds and the things you need to grow them to fruition, livestock and the things you need to keep them healthy, a safe place to hunt/gather. knowing WHAT to gather.

Shelter= climate control (I'm in the hot south now and heat stroke is more of a concern)

Protection- guns, perimeter security/layers, location, location, location! Medical supplies/knowledge are part of protection because if you feel the need to have a gun, so do others, also information/communication/radios

It also makes a difference what you are prepping for. Are you are prepping to survive a couple of weeks or months in a less serious situation (SHTF)? OR perhaps years (TEOTWAWKI)?

Last edited:
I don't think the majority of Americans are liking what is happening here along with other people around the world, disliking their own. Just look at what's going on in Shanghai right now with their complete lockdowns.

Your thinking of just basic needs are in line for survival. You got to understand that for many of us, as for me I am a homesteader and this just a way of life for us and we have been building our preps for years now to make life easier. Is it essential for survival? Depends. . . I would say first aid should be a must. You never know what may happen that is not fixed with over the counter drugs you may have stored up. Antibiotics are a must in certain situations.
tools. . . I'm not sure which your are referencing. I would make sure I have a manual tool that could replace any type of electric or battery tool though. This is mainly kitchen and shop.
radio, I would really like to be able to talk to other people on what is going on if cell phones go down, especially with the locals, but other news going around the country and world can be very beneficial.
solar panels, this is something we are just now getting into. I live around the coast and have been thru a few hurricanes, Where we are, we normally only go a couple weeks without power. Watering all the animals can be a challenge without power. We haul water in 55 gal drums out to the different pastures. We would use a gas generator plugged into the house but it was very limited on what it could run.

store water - don't depend on having to get some and treat it - have a minimum 2 week supply ready to go in the same building you'll be sheltering >>> all kinds of SHTFs with the ability to lock you down inside and make venturing outside life threatening - you'll want the static and portable containers no matter what and might as well store them filled ....

Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to getting more of your viewpoints and ideas.

As far as tools go, for long term survival everyone needs tools. Not going to grow a garden easily without the right tools…and without expending more calories than the food will give you. Raising animals is hands down the BEST calorie to food ratio. To raise any animals you need certain “tools”. To use their poo to fertilize your gardens, you need more tools. To grow food in cooler weather you need a greenhouse or cold frames. Regarding gathering water, I have a pump that will be run by solar/or propane to pump the water from the large pond to the house…therefore saving many wasted and needed calories and time. See where I’m going with this?

Latest posts

Back