New Gun?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dallas Dixon

Reaction score
Lately I've been getting into ARs. although before that bandwagon was a lost cause to me due to the price, but I now see that the AR is an amazing platform with hundreds of capabilities. As such, I have decided that I am going to build an AR-15, as it is cheaper, in some situations, and keep it as a bugout gun, varmint gun, etc...

I was looking at an Anderson AM-15 closed stripped l0wer receiver, and I am almost on the verge of buying it. I've read over 200 reviews at this point and almost every single one was positive. This receiver costs around $30-$45 stripped, and it is anodized and forged. A lot of reviews and gun channels on YouTube say that it is a hell of a bang for your buck and that is just as good as some $150-$175 receivers. But, I trust you guys very much, so I'm just wondering, should I? It would open up a world of possibilities. Plus if I bought multiple barrels, I'm fairly sure that I could fire more than one caliber (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm thinking about optics and furniture and I'm basically dead-set on Magpul OD Green or Black furniture and a TruGlo 4-12 x 44 Nexus scope. Now, I understand that there are many tactical scopes out there, but those are relatively expensive for me and so I'm just gonna go traditional.

If you have any suggestions for cheaper furniture or LPKs that are about $75 and under, I'd really appreciate that.

With thanks, from a younger prepper,
-Dallas Dixon

@Dallas Dixon

Okay, I built (assembled) my own AR15 platform. So first, it is doable but there are special tools required, so you may want to check into them and see if they figure into your financial plans. I am assuming the Anderson is the lower receiver and the price you quoted is a real good price but also remember if that price is not from a local FFL (gun shop), then you will have to add the FFL fee to it, bummer I know. Next, yes you can have many different calibers but most will require a different bolt and most assuredly a different barrel. A 556 bolt is not going to work on a 7.62 x 39. Do some home work on the various calibers that use the same bolts, that could save you some money down the road. I purchased barrels, bolts and upper receivers from Bear Creek Arsenal but you can find good deals with other folks too, I use BCA because I prefer side charging or duel charging platforms. I am not fond of the top only charging. So far, BCA has worked well.

Now as to the lower groups, I went with a good brand name but ended up removing the trigger group and replacing with a drop in group. The brand name had a horrible trigger pull.
If I was just getting into shooting (AR15 platform) I might consider the 224 Valkyrie but only if I could get a 6 1/2 twist rate barrel. That would also be if I did not plan to reload. So far the reloading life of the 224 cartridge has been very poor. The reason for the 224 recommendation is that it can shoot light grain bullets (50 reloading to 60 grain factory ) and then go up to 90 grain bullets. All with just one setup. The long distance and accuracy claims have not been truly validated. Some have had real good results and other not so good.

From a cost saving and as a force multiplier, the AR15 platform is outstanding. Do some research and you can put together a very nice rifle.

@Dallas Dixon

Okay, I built (assembled) my own AR15 platform. So first, it is doable but there are special tools required, so you may want to check into them and see if they figure into your financial plans. I am assuming the Anderson is the lower receiver and the price you quoted is a real good price but also remember if that price is not from a local FFL (gun shop), then you will have to add the FFL fee to it, bummer I know. Next, yes you can have many different calibers but most will require a different bolt and most assuredly a different barrel. A 556 bolt is not going to work on a 7.62 x 39. Do some home work on the various calibers that use the same bolts, that could save you some money down the road. I purchased barrels, bolts and upper receivers from Bear Creek Arsenal but you can find good deals with other folks too, I use BCA because I prefer side charging or duel charging platforms. I am not fond of the top only charging. So far, BCA has worked well.

Now as to the lower groups, I went with a good brand name but ended up removing the trigger group and replacing with a drop in group. The brand name had a horrible trigger pull.
If I was just getting into shooting (AR15 platform) I might consider the 224 Valkyrie but only if I could get a 6 1/2 twist rate barrel. That would also be if I did not plan to reload. So far the reloading life of the 224 cartridge has been very poor. The reason for the 224 recommendation is that it can shoot light grain bullets (50 reloading to 60 grain factory ) and then go up to 90 grain bullets. All with just one setup. The long distance and accuracy claims have not been truly validated. Some have had real good results and other not so good.

From a cost saving and as a force multiplier, the AR15 platform is outstanding. Do some research and you can put together a very nice rifle.

Thanks for that advice man, It will really help. As this lower isn't from an FFL store nearby, how much are FFL fees for delivery and pickup from an FFL dealer? I'm seriously thinking about doing this whole thing. I can make one for around 350 if I go for cheaper parts as I'm first starting and gradually replace them with better parts, BCGs, triggers, etc.

I was looking at Magpul furniture and I was wondering if M-LOK stuff is any good from a tactical standpoint. I know Keymod is but some of those guards get expensive, like, really, really, expensive. I'd like to be able to add a few things to the gun to make it a little better. Probably never gonna a suppressor until I have a job, because tax stamps plus initial cost is...you get the idea. I'm on a budget. I want to make the best of this budget and do the best I can with this set budget. 350 was my estimate to the cost, but if I can find cheaper furniture that I can find good reviews on it will be a little cheaper. Not that it matters that much cause I'm going to buy mags with it, but every little bit counts. Question, how good are Palmetto State Armory mags? They're six dollars a piece for aluminum magazines, but some of the Magpul stuff gets to sixteen and higher. I understand if you've never used PSA Mags before. I'm just really wanting the best bang for my buck.

As for calibers, I want to have a 5.56 x .223 first, at least, because of lower ammunition costs in bulk and single boxes and because of the availability of that caliber. Also, there are a ton of BCGs for every caliber, ranging from cheap $75 ones to about $250 ones. I could stock up on a ton of the standard ammo, 5.56, for really cheap, which makes it a really good round for me. I heard the craze of .224 Valkyrie but I never really hopped on that bandwagon. With it being a sorta new caliber and I don't know how frequently used and ballistics data isn't exactly easy to find, it just doesn't seem like the right choice for now. Maybe later. These Anderson lowers are REALLY cheap, but they're made at the same place as Spykes, etc. Some of them have a Cerro Forge marking on them too.

So, I'm looking for the best bang for my buck, literally, and I'm starting to narrow things down a good bit.

Thanks again from a young prepper,
-Dallas Dixon

Okay, I will try and answer a few questions. FFL fees can run anywhere between $20 to $75. Most run about $40, in my area. You can buy completed AR15 in the 556 /223 category for about what you will spend for parts. Building it yourself tools should include a torque wrench (foot pounds) a second torque wrench (inch pounds -- for scope mounts). You will need allen wrench sets (1 SAE and 1 Metric). Torx (sp) bits. Barrel nut tool, barrel spline tool, rifle rest (mag insert type) and a few dozen other tools. None of the tools are super expensive but they will add up, fast. Something not to forget, is a NO-GO gauge for each caliber. Now you are getting the idea, building your own is not a supper cheap way to get an AR15 but you will get the rifle setup the way you want it.

Now if you are going for the 556, then you might want a 1-7 twist rate barrel. I have the 1-8 twist barrel and it really does not like the 55 grain cheap ammo. Now it fires it just fine but the grouping is not spectacular. It prefers the 68 grain bullets (not real cheap). I am a bit of an accuracy nut, so take my suggestions for what you paid for them. Many folks would find the 55 grain grouping except-able. I will stock up on the cheap ammo (zombie ammo) but for my hunting or range day ammo, it will be the 68 grain for my 223 Wylde chamber. Yeah, I did forget to mention I use the 223 Wylde and not the standard 223 or the standard 556. So now you know you have 3 different calibers to choose from (barrel designator). Do not shoot 556 in a 223 barrel / chamber. You can do the reverse (556 shoots 223 okay) and the 223 Wylde will shoot both calibers the same.

I have both types of free floating hand guards. One Keymod and one Mlok. I had no trouble with the Keymod but did have some minor difficulty with the Mlok. That could simply be operator error on my part. I would not let the hand guard type be a determine factor in a purchase. If you can get a real good deal on one type or the other, then I would go for it. That is how I ended up with the two different types. Many claim that Mlok is replacing keymod but I have not had any problem is finding rails. I would avoid the polymer rails. I have not tested them but just can't buy into the concept and the price / weight saving is not enough to warrant the purchase IMHO.

Now also be advised, AR15 are not light weight firearms. Every doo-dad you add is going to really increase the weight. 30 round mags weigh more than 10 round mags. Bipods add weight, scopes add weight and lets not forget the desire to add lights or lasers. Those pounds are not a big thing at the range but try huffing them around a few hills or mountains and it really does add up fast.

My suggestion (what I actually did) is set a spread sheet and start listing all the tools, rifle components and accessories. Then you will get a strong idea of which way is best for you. Maybe a finished rifle with the barrel and receivers you want is a win and then you can just change out the butt stock. Something that does not require special tools. A drop-in trigger assembly is easy and no high priced special tools required. I am retired and on a budget, so money is more important than my time. It is cheaper to research than but stuff. I got my 3.5 drop in trigger on sale for $85.00. The standard Trigger was about $40.00. So some research and patience I get a much better shooting rifle. Now this advice is probable not what yo wanted to hear but take the time and save the money to get the best you can afford. JM2C

Latest posts

Back