Helpful Info. New Changes on Ball Canning Lid Procedures

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danil54grl

Top Poster
Reaction score
They now say that we can just wash them and use at room temp for easier handling. . . anyone else catch this? Happened this year but may not see in stores until next year depending on how stock sells thru

http://www.freshpreserving.com/tools/waterbath-canning
"After many years of research, it was determined that preheating Ball® and Kerr® lids is no longer necessary. The sealing compound used for our home canning lids performs equally well at room temperature as it does pre-heated in simmering water (180 degrees Fahrenheit). Simply wash lids in hot, soapy water, dry, and set aside until needed.

NOTE: Instructions on lid, cap, and jar packaging is changed. However, retail stores may stock packaging having either instruction.'

They now say that we can just wash them and use at room temp for easier handling. . . anyone else catch this? Happened this year but may not see in stores until next year depending on how stock sells thru

http://www.freshpreserving.com/tools/waterbath-canning
"After many years of research, it was determined that preheating Ball® and Kerr® lids is no longer necessary. The sealing compound used for our home canning lids performs equally well at room temperature as it does pre-heated in simmering water (180 degrees Fahrenheit). Simply wash lids in hot, soapy water, dry, and set aside until needed.

NOTE: Instructions on lid, cap, and jar packaging is changed. However, retail stores may stock packaging having either instruction.'
Thanks, I hadn't caught that. I just used a small sauce pan on the stovetop, so it wasn't a lot of trouble either way, but good to know. A customer I met at work married a russian mail order bride. He told me she has some way of reusing the lids. I'll see if I can find out some more info on it. I've seen the canning wax for sale in stores and wondered if that was what it was for. It would have to have a high melt temp for a pressure canner.

Thanks, I hadn't caught that. I just used a small sauce pan on the stovetop, so it wasn't a lot of trouble either way, but good to know. A customer I met at work married a russian mail order bride. He told me she has some way of reusing the lids. I'll see if I can find out some more info on it. I've seen the canning wax for sale in stores and wondered if that was what it was for. It would have to have a high melt temp for a pressure canner.
I have reused my regular canning lids too. As long as they have not been bent when removing from previous jar, not rusted, etc. they are good to go, but this is a major no-no according to you know who and other people will tell you not to do this also, guess cause they are afraid of 'breaking the law' and the canning police will come get them. What can I say, I am a rebel. You do not need the wax. Grandma used to seal her crock jellies with wax before the jars & lids came out. This is just what I have done before and in no way am I recommending anyone else to do it. Just coving my butt;)

I have reused my regular canning lids too. As long as they have not been bent when removing from previous jar, not rusted, etc. they are good to go, but this is a major no-no according to you know who and other people will tell you not to do this also, guess cause they are afraid of 'breaking the law' and the canning police will come get them. What can I say, I am a rebel. You do not need the wax. Grandma used to seal her crock jellies with wax before the jars & lids came out. This is just what I have done before and in no way am I recommending anyone else to do it. Just coving my butt;)
I kind of figured they could be reused. I always check to see if they are still sealed when opening anyways. I would like to know what that red sealant stuff is though. It would be nice to know I'm covered if shtf. I just bought some lids in bulk on amazon recently. I got 120 of each, reg and wide, so am good for a while. Whenever I reach free shipping I try to throw in a few little items with it.

I kind of figured they could be reused. I always check to see if they are still sealed when opening anyways. I would like to know what that red sealant stuff is though. It would be nice to know I'm covered if shtf. I just bought some lids in bulk on amazon recently. I got 120 of each, reg and wide, so am good for a while. Whenever I reach free shipping I try to throw in a few little items with it.
It is PVC plastisol http://www.ehow.com/how_8724671_seal-plastisol.html Not sure if it is the same as used in making tackle. I normally buy 12 cases of each size jar and a case of both lid sizes around late Nov when they go 20% off or when I see a store put them on clearance dirt cheap to just make room after canning season

It is PVC plastisol http://www.ehow.com/how_8724671_seal-plastisol.html Not sure if it is the same as used in making tackle. I normally buy 12 cases of each size jar and a case of both lid sizes around late Nov when they go 20% off or when I see a store put them on clearance dirt cheap to just make room after canning season
Nice link. (and I remember when you had trouble uploading a picture). I'm mildly concerned about it saying not to use plastisol in the pressure canner. Oh well, it's worked great up to now. I'll keep looking for deals on jars as well. A friend of mine just bought a bunch of cases that all had 1 jar broken for 1/2 off. Well worth the effort.

I saw a vid on YouTube about this. She called the company which told her that the new lids are only good for one year! Ill try to track down the link

My Kerr lids manufactured back in 2011 says "Store sealed jars in pantry for up to 1 year" and Ball lids 2013 says the same thing. These also say "Made in USA" (but no identification numbers like the boxes now. I have not bought any in 2014 yet) and have the taupe colored underside. I haven't found any issues on my Kerr or Ball lids for that matter as of yet, some getting close to two years old now. The BPA concern came out in 2010 and the company updated the lids and started selling the lids back in January 2013. The FDA has always recommended using your canned foods within a year so I feel like the company has now just been putting that recommendation on the box. That is just me though.

My Kerr lids manufactured back in 2011 says "Store sealed jars in pantry for up to 1 year" and Ball lids 2013 says the same thing. These also say "Made in USA" (but no identification numbers like the boxes now. I have not bought any in 2014 yet) and have the taupe colored underside. I haven't found any issues on my Kerr or Ball lids for that matter as of yet, some getting close to two years old now. The BPA concern came out in 2010 and the company updated the lids and started selling the lids back in January 2013. The FDA has always recommended using your canned foods within a year so I feel like the company has now just been putting that recommendation on the box. That is just me though.
It's called cya. I have talked to people who ate stored food after 5 yrs and were still alive! Not really recommending this, but if times ever got tough we would all do things we don't now.

Latest posts

Back