New, but not really

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyRoman

Reaction score
Hello, I've just stumbled upon this culture of prepping on Pinterest of all places, Though the mindset of preparedness isn't new to me.

I've grown up in Florida my whole life and so part of life on the east coast is being ready for hurricanes and such. But I've always had a desire to be ready for whatever may come. My dad took me camping, fishing, hiking as a kid, even showed me what kind of plants are safe to eat. I have done many out of country mission trips as well where there is no electricity and people are already living off the land, so that had added to my experience as well.

So far my prepping has been mostly being aware of my surroundings, of what I would do if any situation went wrong. But now that I've read up on what others have been doing to prepare for whatever may come, I am going to be more intentional about my physical preps.

Anyhow, I'm excited to learn all I can from you all :)

A Warm Welcome! Feel free to Ask and Share... We have a lot of Prepping Peeps here ;) (LOL, kinda obvious by the site) and a lot of Cool experts onboard

Hello, I've just stumbled upon this culture of prepping on Pinterest of all places, Though the mindset of preparedness isn't new to me.

I've grown up in Florida my whole life and so part of life on the east coast is being ready for hurricanes and such. But I've always had a desire to be ready for whatever may come. My dad took me camping, fishing, hiking as a kid, even showed me what kind of plants are safe to eat. I have done many out of country mission trips as well where there is no electricity and people are already living off the land, so that had added to my experience as well.

So far my prepping has been mostly being aware of my surroundings, of what I would do if any situation went wrong. But now that I've read up on what others have been doing to prepare for whatever may come, I am going to be more intentional about my physical preps.

Anyhow, I'm excited to learn all I can from you all :)
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask (post) and questions you may have in the proper area, as the members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Welcome. Fellow Floridian here.

Your big challenge is that Orlando is a pretty big (and spread out) urban center, so come a SHTF situation, you'll have to deal with a LOT of other people competing for resources.
Do you plan to bug out, or bug in? That's really going to be the big factor guiding your preps.

I'm still working out the logistics of my plan. I'm wanting to build up at least a months worth of supplies but I wouldn't want to stay in Orlando any longer than that. I have family on the east coast I would go find them.

The tricky part is my husband thinks it's kinda silly to do any large scale prepping and our budget is quite small. So I'm thinking of prepping under the guise of wanting good camping supplies for now until I get a solid bug out bag.

I also have been wanting a gun for a long time. My friends have guns and so I had them teach me how to load and shoot both hand and shot guns.

Prep under the guise of Hurricane prep. Another reason, you can simply pick up an extra can, box, bag, etc. here and there as there are sales. He'll never know.
Pretty much how I first got my wife onboard. Then, after a bout of unemployment, those stores came in handy, and now she's in full prep mode too. :D

On the bug out bag, try dollar stores for prepping on a budget. Since the bag supplies are short term anyhow, no need to go pricey on it.
Check on craigslist for guns. You'll save money, and getting from a private seller, no paper trail in case they decide to one day alleviate us of all of them.

Welcome aboard ! I started with a three day bag or ( GHB ) get home bag then moved to full on prep, Just start small, it will all come together.

The dollar store is a good idea. I wouldn't have thought of that. I'm excited to get started

Best things to find there: first aid supplies, meds, travel size toiletry items, hard candy, jerky, bottled water, cheap flashlights, lighters, ziploc bags (for keeping things dry).
Also, carabiners (great for clipping all kinds of things to where you can reach them), cheap ponchos.

All great items for a get home or bug out bag.

Welcome to the club! I LOVE Pinterest for the collection of prepping ideas. Get into couponing and the prepping will take on a whole new spin. You will save money and stockpile at the same time. In no time at all you will have a good year or two supply of essentials. I coupon and have a GHB. No reason to bug out. No where to go. Plan on bugging in. You can prep in disguise. Buy a pressure canner and can food. You can put up lots of food this way.

Latest posts

Back