New AR!

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spc. Alan

Reaction score
Ok everyone, with the acquisition of some news funds I will be purchasing a new AR before the end of this month. Im looking to get a Smith & Wesson Military and police edition. I have found a dealer near me that sells them for $800 after tax and everything. What do you think?

If you don't mind me asking, is that what you have? and is this the type of weapon that you are constantly stocking up ammo for? I have a glock 23. is that a weapon that I should also be getting as much ammo for as possible or is there a certain amount that you would keep on hand and thats it. Whats the logic behind your recommendations? Thanks!

If you don't mind me asking, is that what you have? and is this the type of weapon that you are constantly stocking up ammo for? I have a glock 23. is that a weapon that I should also be getting as much ammo for as possible or is there a certain amount that you would keep on hand and thats it. Whats the logic behind your recommendations? Thanks!
No i do not own an AR yet! a friend of mine sells them i buy my guns from him . if your Glock is a regular carry and you plan on having it on your side when the SHTF yes i would stock up on rounds for it you don't have to go crazy on it buying massive amounts just get it built up slowly a box here and there when you can afford it or have some extra cash to throw around . i myself have a SAR 9mm and i just grab ammo when i can .

Ok everyone, with the acquisition of some news funds I will be purchasing a new AR before the end of this month. Im looking to get a Smith & Wesson Military and police edition. I have found a dealer near me that sells them for $800 after tax and everything. What do you think?
I think $800.00 is a great price! But then I live in the communist state of kalifornia. I have heard great things about S&W's AR's.
I have one I built myself as I wanted it left handed, and when I built mine it didn't cost too much less than $800.00 and that was 4 years ago.
If you don't mind me asking, is that what you have? and is this the type of weapon that you are constantly stocking up ammo for? I have a Glock 23. is that a weapon that I should also be getting as much ammo for as possible or is there a certain amount that you would keep on hand and thats it. Whats the logic behind your recommendations? Thanks!
Yes I stock .223 both loaded and shells for reloading.
I also have a Glock 23, and have a supply of ammo for it. like Kenprep1979 said I buy what I can when I can.
Since I go camping and shooting many times a year I am constantly trying to maintain strict minimum amount of ammo.
With that I also keep ammo cans with spare loaded magazines, and ammo strategically placed about the house.

Thats good to know Clyde. My plan is to start doing a lot more camping, hunting, ect. now too. Even aside from the whole prepping Im really starting to enjoy the outdoors and all it has to offer. Just out of curiosity and you should know that I have never been hunting before. My father wasn't really the hunting type. He preferred fishing. Cab you take an AR hunting?

Thats good to know Clyde. My plan is to start doing a lot more camping, hunting, ect. now too. Even aside from the whole prepping Im really starting to enjoy the outdoors and all it has to offer. Just out of curiosity and you should know that I have never been hunting before. My father wasn't really the hunting type. He preferred fishing. Cab you take an AR hunting?
I believe you can for certain animals. I don't think you can use it for deer or the like, but then I have never been hunting.

Smith & Wesson M&P AR are an excellent firearm. I have one issued in my squad car. Stay away from the carbon model. They can be damaged much more easily. They are reliable but you will be better off with any other model. I have seen some of these rifles with over 5k rounds through them and they are still going strong.
As far as a hunting weapon, the 223/5.56 platform will kill a deer but shot placement is key. Even then many times the animal will run long distances before dying and with the small bullet wound will not bleed out much. Many deer are not recovered when shot with this caliber. I use my mostly for predator hunting. Really 3 rifles everyone should have is a 22lr (Ruger 10-22), 223 (bolt or AR platform), and a high caliber gun in 308 or 30-06. If I was picking just one I would go with a 22lr as I can get more ammo, and carry more ammo for it. It also offers more hunting opportunities. I can shoot a lot of squirrels or other small game that is easier to get with a 22lr, not much left with a 223! You can carry 5,000 rounds of 22lr in less space and weight than 1,000 rounds of 223/5.56

Latest posts

Back