New and very wet behind the ears

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw loads of good suggestions here. I like to keep things simple at first, and add comforts and extras later on. Always start with water. Having some on hand, and a way to filter it as you find it. This is the first thing on any good list. Some form of food, as yes you can survive for days without it, but you will be so weak that you're not effective. The high calorie bars last and will sustain you without adding much weight or bulk. Security is the next thing that comes to mind. In any emergency, there are those that wish to exploit the situation. Have a way to keep those that intend you harm at a distance. Good shoes, twine, protection for the elements, the list could go on and on. The problem is keeping it light and portable. Just always start with water, food and security. With those covered and some common sense you can handle just about anything. Good luck to you.

Just been taking some notes, going to be working on getting my GHB together

Try imagining Prepping as an ONION,
1 The inner most layer your EDC gear, the absolute essentials that are on your person 24/7
2 Then the next layer is your location based kits IE Car Kit, Office kit, Home kit
3 Then the GHB stuff close to hand as possible , IE under the desk, on the passenger seat, in your locker ( that's THIS thread)
4 Location specific gear, Office kit, Car kit, Urban kit, Desert kit, Winter Kit, if and or as wanted / needed.

then we go to the LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEMS
5 BOBs and INCH bag stuff, Something nasty or unpleasant happen and you have to flee for your life, the BOB is mean to sustain you from a minimum of 72 hours up to indifinately if needed (INCH = I'm Not Coming Home) .

With BOBs and INCHs you have 1 bag for each individual in your immediate family tailored to suit THEIR specific needs, BUT also often also carrying extra kit to help sustain the rest of the family, So your extra gear may be say more water or bulky food, etc.

Going back to the basics 1 EDC you must select those items to suit you so you do not even think about picking them up and they are 100% completely comfortable on your person, EG being an American your first choices are likely to be a lock knife, side arm & one mag and flashlight, when you have them they need to be utterly comfortable wearing them 24/7, you add to essential EDC Lighter, Shades, Bandana, Cell phone, Wallet, Cash, Micro Compass etc.

Now some of my US prepper friends like to emphasise this point, your house gun or your duty gun may NOT be the best gun for your EDC.
Many of them even cops have decided their EDC gun is for example a 22 7 shot gun under the arm in a kydex holster rig, another chap has a compact .38 revolver tucked into the small of his back in a very soft leather holster, someone else carries a Kaur on his ankle, and a few keep their side arms in their GHBs because of local laws etc. You don't need a great big bloody huge power hungry tactical flashlight pulling down your trousers, you need a decent quality, VERY RELIABLE, decent LED flashlight using one or two AA or 123 batteries about the length of a tactical pen.
I'm sure you an get loads of advice from the gun owners here and at work on carefully selecting your EDC side arm, perhaps another 40 cal but a smaller framed version??

So your GHB will obviously have extra mags, cleaning kit, gun mounted light, knife sharpener, glasses cleaner etc to support the initial EDC selection.

Then the other stuff footwear, jacket, multi tool, mini prybar, water, rations, first aid kit, spare prescription glasses if used, small world ban radio receiver, emergency pack for cell phone, maps, compass, gloves, first aid kit, baby wipes, tactical pen, note book, paracord, ( does TX need anti venom kits? ), blister kit, water puri tabs or life straw, couple of cyalume sticks, another lighter, tiny bar of soap, toothbrush, PDA if your into that sort of thing. Street map and county map of your AOO.

Another thing about prepping and EDC to think about is your normal clothing choice EG I'm a Cargos, Polo, Softshell, type of guy, very often it is beneficial for you to modify your EDC clothing to better suit your needs and the extra stuff you carry, EG extra pockets inside jacket, Re aligning pockets from vertical to angled, getting a much stiffer belt, or extra stitching to stiffen your belt, extra material sewn sew to the wasteband of your pants to keep things looking right, extra belt loops etc

If identifiable law enforcement, I'd say his chances of getting ambushed are pretty slim. Would take quite an idiot to target a person who you KNOW is armed, and who you know is well-trained in weapons and tactics, etc. I suspect most would-be ambushers would simply wait for a more opportune target.

Latest posts

Back