New and very wet behind the ears

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoff78

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm Geoff, and I live in Deep East Texas, I'm 37 and I am very new to the prepping/survival world. The reason I am here is because with all that is going on in the world today, something BIG is going to happen soon, and I want to have myself and my family prepared. I'm looking for help, guidance and wisdom in getting the information and helpful advice that I need to do just that. I look forward to gaining much knowledge from this forum and hopefully make some great friends along the way.

Have a great Friday and God bless.

-Geoff :)

howdy from another deep east texan.... and welcome to the forum and family...there's quiet a few knowledgable folks here that'll gladly tell ya what you need to know,or at least point ya in the right direction and/or give ya a good idea or 2..and by all means jump right on in with any replies you have on a topic.and start new topics if/when needed....

Last edited:
i assume you already know these things.but yet here i go..lol
1st,always expect the unexpected with the vehicle your in.it's capable of breaking down.and at the worse time..
2nd,whats the furthest you travel on any given trip?
3rd whats the distance you need to go,from point a to point b.
4th,what will you need to stay put untill help arrives.or untill it's safe to head out?
5th,will be cold/cool/hot at any time during the day or night?
6th,food and drink.
7th shelter,be a tent and/or a tarp and rope.
8th 1st aid kit/supplies.
9th items for everyday situations.hydraulic floor jack and a 2x12 for it to sit on.water and antifreeze..i have these next items.and they've come in handy a few times.power converter that plugs into a car lighter,,..100ft extension cord,jumpstarter with air compressor.spare was flat one time when i had to use it.

I have a backpack with a molle system, it has a 2.5 or 3 liter hydration system, a mini sawyer, waterproof matches, striker and feres rod, and a lighter, lol that's about it. I'm not sure what all I should put in food wise, and I have a small side pouch that I can use to make a pretty good first aid kit

Welcome!

I have a backpack with a molle system, it has a 2.5 or 3 liter hydration system, a mini sawyer, waterproof matches, striker and feres rod, and a lighter, lol that's about it. I'm not sure what all I should put in food wise, and I have a small side pouch that I can use to make a pretty good first aid kit

My suggestions (for GHB additions):

1. A good fixed-blade knife
2. Metal Water Bottle (allows you to boil water, for cleaning, and for use with #3.)
3. Dehydrated meals (forget MREs...they weigh more, and aren't as tasty...Mountain House makes some good ones, and can usually find them at WalMart). I generally keep a few small canned foods in as well, just in case water is scarce.
4. Ration Bars (these are similar to granola bars, but are made for daily calorie intake, Mainstay has some good ones).
5. Flesh out that First Aid Kit (bandages, self stick ACE bandages, gauze pads, antibiotic, OTC meds, sunscreen, insect repellent, HBA needs)
6. Duct Tape (can use for so many things)
7. Good flashlight
8. Decent pistol with some ammo (you are in Texas after all...sounds like you already have a Glock, but since it wasn't mentioned....)
9. Maps home (with possible supplies indicated, in a waterproof pouch)
10. Good poncho (can use as a makeshift tent even, too)

Anything else is pretty much just nice to have.

You may want other things in your vehicle:

1. Small tool kit (for repairs)
2. At least one bottle of all needed fluids
3. Siphon kit (for gas, post STF)
4. Slim Jim/Vehicle Entry kit (check on legality in your state)
5. Pry Bar
6. Tarp and Bungees (not just for cargo, but also for a great shelter, I prefer to have this in green, as I may be able to use it to help hide the vehicle if I have to abandon it).
7. Flashlights, especially those that can magnet stick on, or headlamp style, to assist with repairs in the dark
8. More food and water
9. Empty gas can (or full if external to vehicle)
10. Collapse-able water jug

As for your home base location, the best way to survive is going to be to have sustainable food and water. You may have seen prepper shows that advocate a hoard of canned goods, etc. This is great and all, but really, we just have to look at our grandparents or great grandparents to see what to really do. Having a well, and/or rain catchment is much better than just storing water. Having chickens that give you eggs each day, rabbits that grow and breed quickly, and a good garden along with fruit trees is much better than just store bought cans, etc.

Last edited:
foods do take at least some serious thought.first.what do (you) already eat on these trips?pick out the ones that you'd rather be in the GHB.you might be able to dehydrate some of those foods..power bars.wal mart and academy sport has mre's.or something along those lines.but yet.a sudden change in diet can reek havoc on the digestive system.clothes for the area(s) you'll be in.some might be cooler then others,mainly at night.pot n pan camping set.a 1 burner stove of some kind,just in case you have to spend the night and/or day some where.a altoid tin with the basics for fishing,line hook(s) sinkers.a branch thats heavy duty enough for a fishing rod.and a twig for a float.gazrok mentioned maps.might try the yellow high lighter marker to mark the different routes home..compass

Remember a GHB is an ADDITION to your EDC gear, its role is LIMITED BY DESIGN, it is not a complete LIFE SUPPORT system like a BUG OUT BAG
It is also normally a separate entity in its own right from any Vehicle kits you have.

Its role is to give you ONE extra layer of comfort and protection above and beyond your EDC gear, so say as a driver you wear very soft high gloss dress shoes for work, your GHB would have a broken in pair of approach or hiking shoes / boots. our normal top coat may be a lightweight uniform jacket so your GHB would ( depending on climate) have say for example a modified milspec softshell jacket or a fleece lined soft shell jacket.

Probably the best way to consider what you NEED ( not want you want) to get home is to imagine a situation happening where you have to very quickly abandon your vehicle,you have just enough time to grab the GHB off the passenger seat, but not enough time to go rummaging in the trunk of the car.

Also consider the maximum radius from your home the kit needs to be capable of supporting you for, after that you are moving onto INCH and BOB territory as a more comprehensive life support system. ( EG inside your GHB radius you probably only need ration bars, trail mix, MRIs etc, but outside that area you will need a cooker, more water, filter, bigger FAK etc).

SO Deputy something happens, you screech to a halt, you have one hand on your Glock and the other grabs the GHB and your GONE. So perhaps you may wish to EDC a gun mounted flashlight after dark by default?? Gun/ flashlight combo in one hand, GHB in other and scatter, then when you feel safe you can put the bag over your shoulders.

Gazroks list is a good place to start.

Personally I believe certain key essentials should NEVER be in any sort of bag, only about your person, So Pistol, Mags, flasglight, lighter, compass, lock knife, shades, bandana, AOO map, billfold, paracord, cell phone should be always on you, because best will in the world you can still be separated from your GHB.

oh,i just thought..you live anywhere close to train tracks?on acount that could be a good route to take on foot.on account that'll get you off of all the roads,and out of sight..

oh,i just thought..you live anywhere close to train tracks?on acount that could be a good route to take on foot.on account that'll get you off of all the roads,and out of sight..

Jim over here we use rail lines, Electricity pylon lines etc as you suggest but experience taught us in Ireland that anyone looking to ambush refugees or survivalists would ALSO stake out rail lines etc. So we now PARALLEL them IE follow them from a few hundred yards either side of them thus hopefully not getting bushwacked.

I mean the odds of me actually being stranded for any serious length of time while on the road being in law enforcement is pretty slim, but I know the odds are there, I have been on transports where I have no cell service and am out of reach of in car radio traffic, but I'm wanting to be prepared for that small percentage that something does happen.

good point there.one town i lived in..i lived in one house where it's no more then 2 city blocks from it..which is great,untill you include 1 very bad section of town at the time is 4 to 6 blocks from the house as well..im glad that i dont live in that part of town any more.the drugs are/were real bad around there...

And that attitude Constable is what is going to keep you alive, its that 1% that kills, the complacency on a traffic stop, the turning your back on the suspect, the ignoring your instincts, not trusting your gut feeling, your blind unquestioning faith in the state or the government. Naaa that's not going to turn into a twister, no way is that kid armed, it doesn't snow in TX, that angry dude is just upset not violent, course I have enough gas to get back to the highway, I know this county inside out, I trust my GPS. 1% 1* get it.

I mean the odds of me actually being stranded for any serious length of time while on the road being in law enforcement is pretty slim, but I know the odds are there, I have been on transports where I have no cell service and am out of reach of in car radio traffic, but I'm wanting to be prepared for that small percentage that something does happen.

" oh man the power has been off for a week now and my welfare cheque has not come, I need stuff man, Hey that deputy guy down the street has loads of food and guns and good stuff and he is always away on the road, lets go take a looksee?"

Hello everyone, I'm Geoff, and I live in Deep East Texas, I'm 37 and I am very new to the prepping/survival world. The reason I am here is because with all that is going on in the world today, something BIG is going to happen soon, and I want to have myself and my family prepared. I'm looking for help, guidance and wisdom in getting the information and helpful advice that I need to do just that. I look forward to gaining much knowledge from this forum and hopefully make some great friends along the way.

Have a great Friday and God bless.

-Geoff :)
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have in the proper area, and I know you will get an answer, as the members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

welcome from this side of the puddle,glad you came here and we have all been there...in the beginning...what should I do?? just keep asking :)

Latest posts

Back