New and Scared

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sjeanine

Reaction score
I am married to a man who totally doesnt believe anything will ever happen to us....just tells me to stop worrying and trust in God. I say God gives us a brain to do something but he just brushes everything off that I say....I'm scared to death and dont know what to do. I want to move anywhere and I'd leave him in a second if I had a way to take care of myself and son but I havent worked in years and I homeschool our almost 14 year old son. We dont even have a gun...husband refuses...please help/advise me what to do!! Thanks.

you cant help those who refuse to be helped do what i do and just get little things here and there and before you know it bam youll have enough and when stuff does happen he will thank you.... dont rely on god no offense intended but rely on your self and gut feelings its how we got on before technology

As stated above. Just start to prepare for your family. Get the advice you need of what to get and go from there. When the SHTF he will change his mind in a heart beat. Just have the mind set of takin care of your family.

Start with food and water, Look into some type of weapon. Heck tell him you want to get your son into archery and the two of you can practice, if you do any prep today your are better off than you where yesterday.

Ok, that's what I thought...food and water storage. I was watching on tv last night that couple/family who left their home in FL and moved into this place in the country (cant remember state) and it had been the house of a deceased prepper so it came furnished with all this stuff they need to survive! Couldnt believe it! Like hitting the lotto! Some people are soooo lucky!! ; ) Archery? Hah! My son was just asking me about taking archery classes and asking me what I thought of it...He has a friend who has been taking classes...guess we'll give it a go! I also just filled out an appl for a gun permit for myself...

All of that is a great start. Just think of long term food storage and ways to collect water in your bathtubs. The bathtubs are a jut in case thing. Thy sell bags that you can put in your tubs and if you run out of water there are all sorts of things out there to filter river or lake water.

Ok, that's what I thought...food and water storage. I was watching on tv last night that couple/family who left their home in FL and moved into this place in the country (cant remember state) and it had been the house of a deceased prepper so it came furnished with all this stuff they need to survive! Couldnt believe it! Like hitting the lotto! Some people are soooo lucky!! ; ) Archery? Hah! My son was just asking me about taking archery classes and asking me what I thought of it...He has a friend who has been taking classes...guess we'll give it a go! I also just filled out an appl for a gun permit for myself...
Nice. Don't stress about prepping it will come, before you now it you will have supplies and gear. Everyone's prepping needs are different so search around the site and take what you can use. Have any questions feel free to ask.

I rely on God every day of my life and he has NEVER let me down. I rely on his council and guidance. HE tells me what to do and I do the work. Even if it means stocking up or pulling the trigger when the time comes. All too often people think God will do it for you. This is incorrect. God WANTS you to do the work, he will guide you in doing it. Yes he does miracles, however the more you do for yourself the less he has to do for you. And he wont do for you what you aren't willing to do for yourself (unless it is part of his plan).

SO, all that being said, I suggest you start out simple. A little extra groceries, maybe suggest the family take up camping? Camping is a good reason to buy some gear. You can take yourself to a gunstore or range and get shooting lessons.

Take a deep breath hon, we'll help you get it sorted. If the man is going to bitch when he sees extra food, hide it under beds and other furniture. Most men won't trouble themselves to go nosing around in 'womenfolk's territory'. No offense to the guys here, but when it comes to running the house, most men wouldn't notice unless someone peed in their coffee or took away the tv remote. When you have open afternoons, take yourself out to the local gun range and try out a few different handguns to find the one that suits you best. They are not one size fits all. Most ranges will rent guns and help you find the best one for you. Learn how to use it, how to take care of it, and how to defend you and your son.

Try getting yourself a part-time job so the husband won't toss a tantrum if he thinks you are spending too much of 'his' money. Like David said above, get involved in camping at least with your boy, if the husband doesn't want to go, leave him at home. You don't need a wet blanket to ruin a good time. Get yourself a good support network of friends who are like minded.

When the time comes that he's looking around to see where his next meal is, you can make the decision to kick his ### out of your life boat or not.

Anyhow, welcome to the board! Lots of good stuff here.

Take a deep breath hon, we'll help you get it sorted. If the man is going to bitch when he sees extra food, hide it under beds and other furniture. Most men won't trouble themselves to go nosing around in 'womenfolk's territory'. No offense to the guys here, but when it comes to running the house, most men wouldn't notice unless someone peed in their coffee or took away the tv remote. When you have open afternoons, take yourself out to the local gun range and try out a few different handguns to find the one that suits you best. They are not one size fits all. Most ranges will rent guns and help you find the best one for you. Learn how to use it, how to take care of it, and how to defend you and your son.

Try getting yourself a part-time job so the husband won't toss a tantrum if he thinks you are spending too much of 'his' money. Like David said above, get involved in camping at least with your boy, if the husband doesn't want to go, leave him at home. You don't need a wet blanket to ruin a good time. Get yourself a good support network of friends who are like minded.

When the time comes that he's looking around to see where his next meal is, you can make the decision to kick his ### out of your life boat or not.

Anyhow, welcome to the board! Lots of good stuff here.

Thank you all so much for the great advice! I am going to be doing everything everyone posted! I do work p/t doing a little housecleaning each week so now I'm planning on using that money for prepping. ; ) And, my son and I were just talking today about how to get me a gun and permit...living in IL I am finding out it is hard to do but sending in for a FOID card tomorrow....guess it takes about 8-10 weeks though. We're also going to go look at guns at a Gander Mountain store this week yet and try to find somewhere that we can go learn to shoot...Actually, son just found a place not to far from us...maybe 20 minutes so, I'm trying...and hoping nothing happens before I can get somewhat prepared! My son and I do have some camping supplies because we do go camping when weather permits...usually husband doesnt go with....he hates hunting, fishing or anything that requires him to have to do anything outside of going to work and coming home to watch tv. Thank you all for your great kindness and friendship...I really can use some like-minded friends. ; ) God bless you all!

Might want to think about putting together a couple of 3 day bags for you guys. just put them in your car so they are always close by. Just some supply s to last a few days if needed. This is what i carry daily with a tent and cloths in the car.
Here's a 3 day bag, canteen cup and stove, food,water filter straw, for fire cotton balls with vaseline, fire steel, two lighters, TP, wipes, bandanna, tools, radio, head lamp, flashlight, paracord, poncho, fuel tabs for the stove, med kit, In my car i carry extra cloths, water, a trap and tent. This pretty much goes everywhere with me or its in my car. Hope this helps.
Picturekevinpicture010-1.jpg

I am married to a man who totally doesnt believe anything will ever happen to us....just tells me to stop worrying and trust in God. I say God gives us a brain to do something but he just brushes everything off that I say....I'm scared to death and dont know what to do. I want to move anywhere and I'd leave him in a second if I had a way to take care of myself and son but I havent worked in years and I homeschool our almost 14 year old son. We dont even have a gun...husband refuses...please help/advise me what to do!! Thanks.
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

I am sorry to hear your husband believes God will take care of everything. Mind you I amnot saying he can't. I have always been told that God takes care of those who takes care of themselves, and that is one of the many reasons he gave us all free will.
First two things I would start is a food/water cache. Then I would create a bug out bag for you and your kid(s). This thread will help you get started on a bug out bag http://www.doomsdayprepperforums.com/index.php?threads/creating-a-bug-out-bag.155/
feel free to ask questions the members on this site are extremely knowledgeable and helpful!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Might want to think about putting together a couple of 3 day bags for you guys. just put them in your car so they are always close by. Just some supply s to last a few days if needed. This is what i carry daily with a tent and cloths in the car.

Here's a 3 day bag, canteen cup and stove, food,water filter straw, for fire cotton balls with vaseline, fire steel, two lighters, TP, wipes, bandanna, tools, radio, head lamp, flashlight, paracord, poncho, fuel tabs for the stove, med kit, In my car i carry extra cloths, water, a trap and tent. This pretty much goes everywhere with me or its in my car. Hope this helps.

Just curious how many times this picture has been placed on this site? ROFLMAO

Wow! Thanks for the pic! That really helps alot! I'm going to start working on this tomorrow and hope to complete our bags by the weekend! I like the little set/kit of tools! Where did you get those? A question about storing water....how do you keep water from going bad? I mean, if just left sitting doesnt it eventually go bad??

Picturekevinpicture010-1.jpg

Colt 1911, Jan 7, 2013

Edit

Delete

If you have stored water that tastes 'flat', you can pour it back and forth from cup to cup to aerate it so it isn't 'flat'. Long term stored water can be treated with bleach to kill algae, if you are on county or city water, it should be good for awhile. Survival straws are good to have when you are dealing with questionable water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back