New and Scared

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not quitting....just have to be more careful I guess....dont really trust my dh. It's sad to feel that way, but, I just dont....He was acting so weird earlier, started quoting me on stuff and saying I was talking totally crazy about all this preparing for a catastrophe that I was afraid to say anything any more to him...so I wont be in the future. Just wish you all lived closer...

Forget about what he says. I know it's hard and it hurts when he says these things but there is nothing wrong with preparing for something, such as a natural disaster or even a government meltdown, or economic collapse. It's never a bad idea to have a few months worth of food, water, and other supplies. It's also very necessary in these times to have something to protect yourself and your son. If your husband won't listen, just stop telling him about it and talk with us when you need to. My wife thinks I am nuts too but agrees with me a little in that she thinks we should have extra food, water, and other supplies in case of a natural disaster. So I can understand one of what you are going through.

As for MasterCajun, it seems you did not read my post correctly. I was stating that no matter someone's credentials you have to go take a basic firearms course and try,try,try, as many weapons as possible to find the one for you. If you want to know my credentials the list is quite long and yes I have seen plenty of what bullets and many other types of weapons do to the human body. I spent 15 years in the military and did 2 tours in Iraq ( I was wounded during the 2nd tour which put me out of the Army with a Med Retirement). In total I have deployed to the Middle East and SouthWest and SouthEast Asia 10 times since 2000. I am also an NRA Pistol Instructor. I believe I am qualified to discuss anything pertaining to handguns, rifles, shotgun, belt-fed Machine Guns, shoulder fired rocket, and missile launchers too. I am sure your qualifications are long and detailed as well so not trying to fight or get anyone angry just showing I am very qualified and that I was just making a point about selecting a gun for yourself and not having someone tell you to buy a certain type, caliber, brand etc. as I stated no one gun fits everyone and you must try many to get the right one for yourself. I am sure you agree with me on that as you said too. I believe you were or are a police officer so I am sure you have seen plenty as well and I definitely agree that semi auto is the way to go as well. I hope I cleared everything up and I am very abrupt so I apologize if I offended anyone but it comes from leading troops in battle and so many years in the military.

I'm not quitting....just have to be more careful I guess....dont really trust my dh. It's sad to feel that way, but, I just dont....He was acting so weird earlier, started quoting me on stuff and saying I was talking totally crazy about all this preparing for a catastrophe that I was afraid to say anything any more to him...so I wont be in the future. Just wish you all lived closer...

Sjeanine, check your inbox on this site. I sent you something.

Forget about what he says. I know it's hard and it hurts when he says these things but there is nothing wrong with preparing for something, such as a natural disaster or even a government meltdown, or economic collapse. It's never a bad idea to have a few months worth of food, water, and other supplies. It's also very necessary in these times to have something to protect yourself and your son. If your husband won't listen, just stop telling him about it and talk with us when you need to. My wife thinks I am nuts too but agrees with me a little in that she thinks we should have extra food, water, and other supplies in case of a natural disaster. So I can understand one of what you are going through.

As for MasterCajun, it seems you did not read my post correctly. I was stating that no matter someone's credentials you have to go take a basic firearms course and try,try,try, as many weapons as possible to find the one for you. If you want to know my credentials the list is quite long and yes I have seen plenty of what bullets and many other types of weapons do to the human body. I spent 15 years in the military and did 2 tours in Iraq ( I was wounded during the 2nd tour which put me out of the Army with a Med Retirement). In total I have deployed to the Middle East and SouthWest and SouthEast Asia 10 times since 2000. I am also an NRA Pistol Instructor. I believe I am qualified to discuss anything pertaining to handguns, rifles, shotgun, belt-fed Machine Guns, shoulder fired rocket, and missile launchers too. I am sure your qualifications are long and detailed as well so not trying to fight or get anyone angry just showing I am very qualified and that I was just making a point about selecting a gun for yourself and not having someone tell you to buy a certain type, caliber, brand etc. as I stated no one gun fits everyone and you must try many to get the right one for yourself. I am sure you agree with me on that as you said too. I believe you were or are a police officer so I am sure you have seen plenty as well and I definitely agree that semi auto is the way to go as well. I hope I cleared everything up and I am very abrupt so I apologize if I offended anyone but it comes from leading troops in battle and so many years in the military.
Good morning Kiddo. Hope you slept well. It is 6:30 over here and Im having my first cup of coffee. I don't usually sleep this late but it felt good. Saw your post and you are right, it's better not to tell him anything else. If you have a place to store your stuff that he won't see it, like your basement or attic, that would be great. At least you will have something when TSHTF. I will be going to see if I can pick up a storage container today. And yes, I also wish we lived closer. That way we could help each other even more. I will keep trying to help you as much as I can. I know that Army127 will do the same. Army127 and I have the same views on most of this. On your food storage, you can go to youtube and find out alot of info. If you can learn the different ways to can your food, that would be great. We have canned everything from meat to milk to vegies. I took out a jar of soup and one of milk that I had canned almost two yrs. ago and it was as good as the day I canned it. I try to use some of the oldest food I canned to make sure it is still good. I sure have put my pressure canner to use, since I got it. You can also pick up can goods that will stay good for many yrs.. You don't have to buy a bunch at a time. just get a few extra cans every time you go to the store. You will be suprised at how fast it adds up. Also, if you store water, check into pool shock instead of bleach. Pool shock doesn't have all the bad chemicals in it that bleach has. As for weapons, Army 127 and I have the same advice that a semi-auto would be better for you and that you should go to a range and find out what weapon is more comfortable for you.
To Army127--- I think you and I are on the same page. My compairson about flying was for some that haven't had any experience in the field. It wasn't meant for you, because you have been there. It was for the ones that have NOT been there. Like the one (can't remember who) that told Sjeanine to go with a 357. That is to big for Sjeanine and has to much recoil for her. It seems like you are very concerned about Sjeanine, as I am also. I think with you and I together can give her enough info to get her through this. I think we are both uot for her best intrest. I think our credentials speak for themself . Lets keep trying to help her.

Hubby is on board now. . but that has not always been the case. I used to buy and hide food under beds and even the trunks of cars and trucks (since 2 out of 3 have a cover).

Reading some of the OP's posts I get a distinct sense of panic. I'm wondering if I am picking up on that correctly.

Ma'am Do you mind if I ask how long you have been thinking about prepping and what it is that you think is going to happen? Is it going to happen next week?

I hate, with what is only my second post on here, to go against the grain, but I feel like hitting the breaks a bit on what seems to be a very frenzied thread. I feel like you have expressed both an extreme sense of urgency and a small budget. You will not find that those two things go well together.

In the time I spent on this subject my plans have changed many times as I continue to learn more. For every prepping need there are at least ten different ways to prepare. You will read "this" and think it is something you have to have for your family and later find "that" and realize it would have been cheaper and or more efficient. I want to point out an earlier thread were you mention going shopping and starting a red BOB and not being able to remember all of the items you had put in it, but that they were all very important.

I advocate that you take a few deep breaths and read, read, read, here and everywhere else. Then sit down and start forming a plan. I know there is trouble on the horizon, but I'm pretty sure we're safe for the day.

As for the hubby just let him know you've decided to start being more thrifty since prices of his most cherished foods have been going up. watch for a sale on something and buy a case instead of a can. It makes good financial sense, and if you end up with a stock pile of it, well who can complain when it was such a great deal and it will get eaten and enjoyed even if SHTF never happens. Consider being a Coupon clipper. If you have seen that show extreme couponing or what ever it was called you will see people with huge basements full of food and supplies and they don't even consider themselves preppers! Anything you can rationalize rather than hide will be for the better.

Bow hunting with your son sounds great, especially since he expressed an interest on his own anyway.

gardening is a great hobby that does not come off as crazy. Oh, and if you happen to have a bigger crop than you expected, well why not take up canning and save your own vegetables rather than buy them from the store? I'm sure you husband would not want them to go to waste, only to have to buy more from the store throughout the winter!

Have you ever looked at a garden the day after it rains? It is so HAPPY! gardens love rain water much more than tap water, so it makes perfect sense to have a rain barrel or two around the house to use to water your garden. If you water supply is ever lost and you need the barrels to collect drinking water at some point in the future, why that would be purely coincidental, he could never fault you for that, nor would he if he was thirsty. ;)

you and your son could start taking walks, then hiking trips, then hiking trips with big packs on. gradual is good for your fitness development and good for masking you true purpose as well.

Keep a full tank of gas in your car at all times. If he asks why, it is b/c if the tank gets low water can condensate in it, or the sediment in the bottom of the tank can get sucked into the fuel pump and trash it.

you get the idea. ;) Don't implement all of these changes at once or it will be to fishy, and again today is not D day, you don't have to do it all at once.

Is this post supposed to be to me? If so, when I said I started a BOB and couldnt remember everything I put in it, it's because I have it packed and couldnt remember every single item I put in it to list here on my post...but all were things I was told or read that others had.....and yes, I dont have a big budget since my dh handles all the money, checking account, etc., and pays all the bills. I'm a stay at home mom who is homeschooling. Yes, I do plan on starting a garden this year and I already bought canning things so I can start learning to can....I am trying to pick up a few extra groceries and wanting to get a gun or weapon and learn how to use it...along with my son. Not sure why you are being so rude to me for not remembering everything I put in my bag that day...wasnt going to go unpack it just to list everything here...

Reading some of the OP's posts I get a distinct sense of panic. I'm wondering if I am picking up on that correctly.

Ma'am Do you mind if I ask how long you have been thinking about prepping and what it is that you think is going to happen? Is it going to happen next week?

I hate, with what is only my second post on here, to go against the grain, but I feel like hitting the breaks a bit on what seems to be a very frenzied thread. I feel like you have expressed both an extreme sense of urgency and a small budget. You will not find that those two things go well together.

In the time I spent on this subject my plans have changed many times as I continue to learn more. For every prepping need there are at least ten different ways to prepare. You will read "this" and think it is something you have to have for your family and later find "that" and realize it would have been cheaper and or more efficient. I want to point out an earlier thread were you mention going shopping and starting a red BOB and not being able to remember all of the items you had put in it, but that they were all very important.

I advocate that you take a few deep breaths and read, read, read, here and everywhere else. Then sit down and start forming a plan. I know there is trouble on the horizon, but I'm pretty sure we're safe for the day.

As for the hubby just let him know you've decided to start being more thrifty since prices of his most cherished foods have been going up. watch for a sale on something and buy a case instead of a can. It makes good financial sense, and if you end up with a stock pile of it, well who can complain when it was such a great deal and it will get eaten and enjoyed even if SHTF never happens. Consider being a Coupon clipper. If you have seen that show extreme couponing or what ever it was called you will see people with huge basements full of food and supplies and they don't even consider themselves preppers! Anything you can rationalize rather than hide will be for the better.

Bow hunting with your son sounds great, especially since he expressed an interest on his own anyway.

gardening is a great hobby that does not come off as crazy. Oh, and if you happen to have a bigger crop than you expected, well why not take up canning and save your own vegetables rather than buy them from the store? I'm sure you husband would not want them to go to waste, only to have to buy more from the store throughout the winter!

Have you ever looked at a garden the day after it rains? It is so HAPPY! gardens love rain water much more than tap water, so it makes perfect sense to have a rain barrel or two around the house to use to water your garden. If you water supply is ever lost and you need the barrels to collect drinking water at some point in the future, why that would be purely coincidental, he could never fault you for that, nor would he if he was thirsty. ;)

you and your son could start taking walks, then hiking trips, then hiking trips with big packs on. gradual is good for your fitness development and good for masking you true purpose as well.

Keep a full tank of gas in your car at all times. If he asks why, it is b/c if the tank gets low water can condensate in it, or the sediment in the bottom of the tank can get sucked into the fuel pump and trash it.

you get the idea. ;) Don't implement all of these changes at once or it will be to fishy, and again today is not D day, you don't have to do it all at once.

Is this post supposed to be to me? If so, when I said I started a BOB and couldnt remember everything I put in it, it's because I have it packed and couldnt remember every single item I put in it to list here on my post...but all were things I was told or read that others had.....and yes, I dont have a big budget since my dh handles all the money, checking account, etc., and pays all the bills. I'm a stay at home mom who is homeschooling. Yes, I do plan on starting a garden this year and I already bought canning things so I can start learning to can....I am trying to pick up a few extra groceries and wanting to get a gun or weapon and learn how to use it...along with my son. Not sure why you are being so rude to me for not remembering everything I put in my bag that day...wasnt going to go unpack it just to list everything here...
There are alot of us that have BOB and can't tell you everything that is in it. So get off Sjeanine. She is new to all this and is trying her best to do as as she can with what she has. first of all it is none of your business what she has in her bag. Yes I think you are starting on the wrong foot in this forum. We are all trying to help her and not cut her down. If you can't say something constructive, then please don't say anything at all. As you can see this is from mastercajun. I will be off line until tonight. If you have something bad to say, say it to me, not Sjeanine.

Fear not you have members here who will and are helping you out!
I am glad to hear you are staying the course and doing what you know is right!

"Get off Sjeanine?" Good Lord, If you don't think I had anything constructive to say in my post then maybe I AM in the wrong place!

In no way did I attack her, or anyone. I simply advocated to take it slow if you are new, the world will not end tommorow. The mind swims in the beginning trying to regester it all, trying to think about how to prepare for every eventuality.

Food, water, medical, shelter, defense, etc. which of these problems has one solution that will work for everyone? A good prepping plan is just that, a plan, and a very detailed one that takes a lot of time and thought. I'm not saying anything that most everyone here doesn't already know but had not said to her. Have you ever bought or built something, only later to find out you want it done a different way? I have. I thought the point of sharing was to help others avoid the mistakes you have made.

"lot's of us" don't know whats in your BOB? Really? Just head for the door and hope it's all there?

"Get off Sjeanine?" Good Lord, If you don't think I had anything constructive to say in my post then maybe I AM in the wrong place!

In no way did I attack her, or anyone. I simply advocated to take it slow if you are new, the world will not end tommorow. The mind swims in the beginning trying to regester it all, trying to think about how to prepare for every eventuality.

Food, water, medical, shelter, defense, etc. which of these problems has one solution that will work for everyone? A good prepping plan is just that, a plan, and a very detailed one that takes a lot of time and thought. I'm not saying anything that most everyone here doesn't already know but had not said to her. Have you ever bought or built something, only later to find out you want it done a different way? I have. I thought the point of sharing was to help others avoid the mistakes you have made.

"lot's of us" don't know whats in your BOB? Really? Just head for the door and hope it's all there?
I don't havt to worry about my BOB, it's all there. My BOL is just about finished and I even have a second BOL for if this one gets overrun. I didn't say everything you said was bad, just the part about her knowing what was in her BOB. Maybe try to be a little more understanding with people that are just starting to prep. WE need to help pick them up and not put down for a little thing like knowing exactly what is in a BOB. Some of us have been prepping for a while and have learned alot, but we might have all been like her at the begining. I, for one will be trying to teach her all I know about canning and food storage. She will need that to help her survive. Lets all work together.

We have a lot of miscommunication in this thread. I can tell you one thing for sure.... We should start breaking this thread into other threads throughout the forum to keep it organized and to keep posts understood and on the same page informationally. This is an introduction thread in the intro subforum and we have covered everything from canning to shooting to BOBs and BOLs with a lot of miscommunication and even more misunderstanding. This will help seasoned members and preppers give focused advice and help sjeanine and other new preppers to keep their thoughts straight. This is not personal, it is rational.

Sjeanine, what ChickenLittle was saying makes good sense, if you don't take that personal. I promise you that wasn't meant as an attack, but SOLID advice. If you look at when this thread was created and how many pages, posts, subjects, and members have gotten involved, it is confusing even for us mods. "Slow down" isn't meant to slow you down from self-preservation, but to help you slow down to focus your thoughts and your mind's power. You are on such a good track right now that you are heading in THE RIGHT DIRECTION at 100mph. It's hard to gather all the info you need on that trip moving that fast. When you reach the destination, everything you passed will come into play. If you forget even 30% of it, that could be a serious issue. Knowing what's in your BOB is a good idea. Taking an inventory and writing it out will help with that, but that wasn't the point of the comment. It was that you are thinking of everything from canning food to literally leaving the Country. As a seasoned prepper and traveler, I can assure you that living in America is a GOOD thing. Even if you don't like the POTUS and his policies(As most of us don't), you are a good-hearted, concerned, freedom-loving American. You make the perfect addition to American prepper culture.

Getting specific advice on guns, canning, bow hunting, BOL, etc from individual members is a good idea. Please contact as many of us a you wish and please consider starting other threads that will help us all, you and me included, absorb all this info more efficiently and it will also help us communicate with less confusion...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back