need opinions on a bag

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never liked framed packs. To each his own!!

My first one was a framed pack, until I got some common sense and realized it is much better to travel WAY lighter. I don't have to have everything but the kitchen sink...just enough to get to where I'm going.

Oddly enough, I bought a $20 bag at WalMart, and it's held up really well, through all kinds of things. I use it for my GHB to this day. I love the pockets in it, and the two thermos holding areas. Plus, all kinds of places to hook carabiners that I use for fastening all kinds of things.

Its a hit or miss at Ebay. I've have different packs for different missions. I have some very high end packs for patrolling and have some of the newer gear that has been issued. My large assortment of packs are built around the U.S. Army ACU large pack with internal frames and also the Marine MARPAT large pack system, complete with small day pack and adjustable molle water mule carrier. Both bags are durable and allow you to put a good amount of material. My reason is durability, ability to stock replacement parts...shoulder straps, frame, butt pad/belt, screws, you name it, pretty universal. For my Medical Trauma Bag, I have a Maxexpidition Sling pack. I have a few frame packs, tucked away in a bug out storage container, 2 Bergen's, two old Alice Large Packs with frames and a very well used SOF pack that was issued to tight after the First Gulf War.

Really it comes down to the wearer and how much gear they feel acceptable to carry. Going to be a call on you...if the bag doesn't fit right, especially in the shoulders...then make sure before you purchase it, you can send it back, unless you need a second bag...then you've got another asset in your preps. Also you should consider maintenance of packs when purchasing them. Can I fix them when the SHTF and not with duct tape either, but with replacement items.

if some of the stiching worries you, yake to a shoemaker and ask if he/she can fix those stichings?
you do it now, don't have to worry about it later... that poor stiching is one reason I find it sometimes a nightmare to buy a backpack,even for just my gym stuff or swimming gear, hate when it's done poorly

It's not even that it's done poorly, I just like my double and triple stitching :) haha

like that aswell and then atleast you know it will hold and you don't need to take to needle and thread somewhere in the hills or woods ;)

Latest posts

Back