Need advice on buying a gun

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjeanine

Reaction score
Would you advise buying a new gun or try finding one at a gun show? I know nothing about them and have never owned one but want to get one. What would you advise and where would I get the best deal on one?? Thanks all...

Tough question as folks will have a hundred different opinions on this,but i'll give you my thoughts.

Assuming this would be your one and only gun,I would look into a 20 gauge pump shot gun for several reasons.First,it would be a very versatile gun with a variety of uses.Great for someone that's not a seasoned shooter as when using game load shells,they are more of a point and shoot round vs a single bullet from say a hand gun or rifle,not requiring you to be as dead accurate.It doesn't have the greatest range,but it does have plenty of stopping power for self defense uses.Ammo is cheap,easy to find and plentiful.It can double as an excellent hunting gun with different shot loads available for anything from small birds to bringing down a deer.A modified or larger choke will also let you use any 20g ammo you please including slugs.They also make a variety of specialty defense rounds easily found online.

My wife and 13yr old son both hunt with remington 870 pumps,youth models in 20 gauge and they are both very comfortable with handling the recoil and the ease of use.The youth models are the same as the full size just built a little shorter for smaller framed folks.My wifes defense choice for SHTF is her 20g with her sidearm being second and if that's what she is comfortable with,then i'm all for it,where as my son and I are more rifle/sidearm men when it comes to home defense.

However,this is just my thoughts from OUR experience.I would recommend going to a public shooting range and give a few different types,makes and models a try,to find out what YOU are most comfortable with.You may find a handgun to be more suited to you,but the downside is it generally requires a good bit of practice to become proficient with it where a pump shotgun has much less of a "learning curve".

no to gun shows.on acount at least most of them charge more then a store will..then there's your 3rd choice.that is buying it from a friend or someone else.especilly if you want to keep quiet about haveing one,and not register it..pluse you might pay even less for one compared to buying one in a store.i've always prefered the hand guns and rifles.22LR 30-30 and 50 calabers are my fav's...not that wont get any other..i've been thinking of getting a 45 lately..

no to gun shows.on acount at least most of them charge more then a store will..then there's your 3rd choice.that is buying it from a friend or someone else.especilly if you want to keep quiet about haveing one,and not register it..pluse you might pay even less for one compared to buying one in a store.i've always prefered the hand guns and rifles.22LR 30-30 and 50 calabers are my fav's...not that wont get any other..i've been thinking of getting a 45 lately..

Thanks...wish I knew someone who'd sell me one...anyone??

Tough question as folks will have a hundred different opinions on this,but i'll give you my thoughts.

Assuming this would be your one and only gun,I would look into a 20 gauge pump shot gun for several reasons.First,it would be a very versatile gun with a variety of uses.Great for someone that's not a seasoned shooter as when using game load shells,they are more of a point and shoot round vs a single bullet from say a hand gun or rifle,not requiring you to be as dead accurate.It doesn't have the greatest range,but it does have plenty of stopping power for self defense uses.Ammo is cheap,easy to find and plentiful.It can double as an excellent hunting gun with different shot loads available for anything from small birds to bringing down a deer.A modified or larger choke will also let you use any 20g ammo you please including slugs.They also make a variety of specialty defense rounds easily found online.

My wife and 13yr old son both hunt with remington 870 pumps,youth models in 20 gauge and they are both very comfortable with handling the recoil and the ease of use.The youth models are the same as the full size just built a little shorter for smaller framed folks.My wifes defense choice for SHTF is her 20g with her sidearm being second and if that's what she is comfortable with,then i'm all for it,where as my son and I are more rifle/sidearm men when it comes to home defense.

However,this is just my thoughts from OUR experience.I would recommend going to a public shooting range and give a few different types,makes and models a try,to find out what YOU are most comfortable with.You may find a handgun to be more suited to you,but the downside is it generally requires a good bit of practice to become proficient with it where a pump shotgun has much less of a "learning curve".

Yes, it would be my first and most likely only gun...thanks for the advice...I have pretty weak arms so sounds like a good idea for me too! ; )

^This

Find an indoor range that rents guns. Look for guns that
A) Are accurate
B) Are comfortable to shoot
C) Are easy to operate
D) Don't jam

Primary should be a rifle 55.6 round with full auto and select fire option secondary should be a high capacity durable 9mm I cary a ruger sr9c and a glock 17 on my thigh

Well heres just some points to consider...
1. Ammo availability in YOUR area

My area is nearly desolate of 9mm, but 40 and 45 seem to be somewhat available (hit or miss). Your area may be similar to mine or may have a completely different availability of calibers. Just remember, a firearm requires ammo to shoot. Buying a firearm with little to no ammo availability is much like buying a hummer and having one gas station 20 miles away.... Its not really all that logical.

2. The purpose that this weapon will serve for YOU

Some people want the fanciest rifle that fires automatic and has all the bells and whistles. Some people want the 1911 that they could hit a fly at 20 yards with. Its a matter of what works and fits YOUR needs. Shotgun, pistol, rifle, all have their pros and cons, its up to you to decide which will fit you the best. Personally, id get a shotgun as a starter just for simplicity. Its the most abundant ammo and easiest access to ranges to practice. Again though, its got to fit YOUR needs. Also, the firearm must fit you ergonomically, if its not comfortable to hold, it most definitely wont be comfortable when there is recoil involved, and this will decrease your accuracy.

3. Pricing that is affordable to YOU

Cheap guns are cheap for a reason, but at the same time, expensive guns dont always provide that much of an edge over a middle priced gun. Do a LOT of research on your desired firearm to help assure yourself that it is a good investment. Especially check BAD reviews, make sure it is a rational reason to be dissatisfied though. These will point out any possible flaws you might encounter, but dont let them defer you from buying a firearm that seems right for you. I would suggest trying some gun auctions, I know some guns can go for as much as $100 below retail. Otherwise, id say buy from a friend or buy from a dealer.

Notice all the YOU's, this is because buying a firearm is a very individualized thing. What I like and what you like probably arent the same, and what we will need a gun for probably isnt the same either. Suggestions are always nice to get a place to start. I have an XDm40, it is a semi-auto polymer frame pistol. Its great for what it is, though it is somewhat costly. I would back up sharkbait's post and say a shotgun is a good way to go! Id say you cant really go wrong with a mossberg, but remington 870s are the 1911 of shotguns in my mind. From my understanding, they last for a long time and are EXTREMELY reliable. Anyway, just remember that you are the one who makes the decision, and nobody else!!!

Ruger 10\22 Rifle is perfect for beginners and will be a staple in your arsenal forever. .22lr ammo is incredibly cheap the gun is accurate and with practice completely deadly. 20 gauge doesn't teach very good skills and accuracy. You can use a 10/22 for hunting and self defense. And not many rifles outside of an ar 15 have as many possible upgrades.

index.jpg

This is just one of the options with the rifle. Its called the arc angel kit.

ruger1022.jpg

This is what they look like from Ruger.

Ruger 10\22 Rifle is perfect for beginners and will be a staple in your arsenal forever. .22lr ammo is incredibly cheap the gun is accurate and with practice completely deadly. 20 gauge doesn't teach very good skills and accuracy. You can use a 10/22 for hunting and self defense. And not many rifles outside of an ar 15 have as many possible upgrades.

View attachment 1601

This is just one of the options with the rifle. Its called the arc angel kit.

View attachment 1602

This is what they look like from Ruger.
I agree! I have had my 10/22 for about 20 years, and have never had any issues with it!

I must be snakebit on 10/22s. I'm on my second one and neither one was as accurate as I had hoped. In fact they were the two LEAST accurate 22 rifles I've owned.

The first one was the worst, with pie-plate groups at 25 yards. I took the current one out squirrel hunting and promply missed the first four squirrels I shot at. I took the scope off put a red dot sight on it and have been using it for rimfire steel matches (for which it is sufficiently accurate).

Of course, it could just be the crappy ammo I had to feed it. I used to hunt with CCI Minimags, but those are just about impossible to find right now.

Would you advise buying a new gun or try finding one at a gun show? I know nothing about them and have never owned one but want to get one. What would you advise and where would I get the best deal on one?? Thanks all...
Well it would all depend on what your looking for....a good all arpund gun to me for a prepper, after you learn a little bit on firearms would be a saiga-410 perfect blend of firepower, defense and hunting. A slug out of a semi auto 410 could put alot lead downrange quick. And can take a deer or use #6 shot to take some small game. Only downside is its not to common of a caliber....it may be readily available now but its gunna be a bitbof a pinch to scavenge some up when SHTF.

I would shoot a 410 if the ammo weren't more expensive than 12 gauge! Ammo is the biggest minus for the 410, both cost and availability.

I would shoot a 410 if the ammo weren't more expensive than 12 gauge! Ammo is the biggest minus for the 410, both cost and availability.
I agree. Its my favorite squrriel and rabbit gun, but id u can stockpile enough ammonits a damn good weapon

This is a topic that is bias on opinion. I agree with sharkbait, you should go to a range and talk with the rangemaster and tell what you want out of the firearm. Take a safety course on properly owning and operating a firearm, shoot the firearms recommended and you will know which one you will prefer. As a former DI and grunt ranger I feel training IS your best weapon. I trained soldiers that never shot a firearm in there life and with proper training became very good.

Now as far as what I recommend sjeanine for firearms will depend on what you want to do. I would recommend a long rifle of some sort and a shotgun. It's one of those things that you can't have just one. Unless you are properly trained,try to stay away from too tactical as well. Stick with durable,easy to use weapons. A single shot rifle like NEF handi rifles are inexpensive and practical and in different calibers. As far as a shotgun, look at reviews and do research on them. You can buy them very inexpensive as well. The reason I leave out handgun is more practicality reasons. A handgun is a sidearm, not a primary weapon. You can take out a threat from 200+ meters where most handguns will not do that.Shotgun can be used for CQB as well. Good luck and good shooting.

1 gun for all uses is hard to pick. I would say a shotgun . 12 gauge or 16 gauge. A 10/22 is a good beginner rifle but would lack the power of a shotgun against large targets. (Not that you couldnt kill them ,itd just usually take more shots) . If you think the gun will be used for defense in any way I would stay away from a single shots

Primary should be a rifle 55.6 round with full auto and select fire option secondary should be a high capacity durable 9mm I cary a ruger sr9c and a glock 17 on my thigh
Primary a 5.56 full auto??? Not exactly an easy purchase, as FFL transfers cannot be done by just anyone, and also she mentioned affordability and weak arm strength. I would recommend a hammerless revolver, perhaps the Taurus Judge, or S and W ultralite 357.

Transferrable select fire M16 will cost you better than 10K. Here is one on GunBroker with the auction currently at 13K:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=371836407

Then you have the hassle of getting all the paperwork approved and actually getting it.

Depending on where you live, it can be done, but for me it's not worth the hassle or expense.

Latest posts

Back