Need a suggestion for my BUB.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin L

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Thank you all in advance for reading this.

I forsee a need to include something to cut through chain link fence, padlocks, barbed wire, and so on.

I was thinking large bolt cutters, but they seem bulky and heavy.

I was also thinking about something like a wireless dremmel tool with a grinding wheel. A good idea, but I want simplier technology. The electricity may run out in the dremmel tool, it can short out, and so on.

I was also thinking about a hacksaw with several extra blades. Compact, cheap, and probably effective.

Stll . . . how does one cut wire with a hacksaw?

So . . . please give me ideas.

Kevin, you have several types and sizes of knives in your kitchen, each one has a different job. There will not be a certain, non-electric gizmo which will do all you want. Brent was right with the lock picking for simple locks. (many You-Tube videos with a coke can and scissors). A Russian Bayonet with the original sheath, is capable of cutting through any chain-link fence, barbed wire and even razor-wire. (light-weight and for multiple uses). If you just need to cut a piece of wire, use an anvil and knife. The anvil can be a rock, chunk of concrete, hardwood or a metal pipe. Lay or hold the anvil, place the material to be cut on the anvil, lay your heavy knife on the wire/material and hit it on the back of the blade with another rock, wood or a hammer-like tool. The nick your knife blade makes will be enough to bend the wire back and forth a few times and get it to break at the nick. Remember to use the very back of the blade where it is the strongest and least used. Wire can be cut with a hacksaw. You must clamp it down well or it will move around a lot. Even easier, clamp the hacksaw or hold it between your knees and pull the wire back and forth over the blade. If it is too hard, just go in the direction of the teeth on the saw until it cuts through or at least gets easier for going both directions again. Again, you need not to cut all the way thru, just enough to bend it back and forth in the right place, the metal fatigue will break most materials in 3-4 bends. Practice makes perfect, (if you practice correctly).
Have fun, Gary

One hand chain link fence cutter.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/8-Mini-H...nce-Cutter-Hardened-Chrome-Vanadium/588150838
f4Wou2o.png

We always used bolt cutters for these purposes. The ones we had were quite bulky but I have seen smaller ones.

Thank you again, everyone.

I'm trying to find a balance between how bulky and heavy a pair of bolt cutters can be vs. the thickness that they can cut.

Now I'm only giving a few tips in good faith here that no one will be breaking the law or using this for any mischievous intent. These methods are used by first responders often to save lives (not lockpicking though)

Lock picking has been a hobby of mine for many years. So I will suggest to anyone looking for some fun and helpful skills when you need it. I've saved myself about 800$ over the past 15 years with being a dumbass and locking myself out or having a little one lock the door behind me and not know how to unlock it.

A halligan is the #1 tool you will ever need for entry exit etc and perfect for any hand to hand defence. It is used by many units and first responders.

If your not breaking any laws then a quick but loud method would be a cordless grinder wheel with a metal cutting blade. Who cares though if it comes down to speed and safety.

Crowbar is more than sufficient enough with and good quality Sog or Leatherman snips. Check Amazon and google for first responder multi tools with snips.

Chains arnt as strong as you think. Handcuffs can be broken apart while in them in 20 minutes or less with just your hands and dirt debris concrete , twigs. This is if you have no option to pick them which would be my first choice.

This goes for big chains and padlocks to.

With a pry bar, crowbar , halligan (any solid good tool steel) Fill the center up , twist get a bind in the chain and apply torque. You dont always need the padlock to break if the chain is the weakest point & vise versa .
Good luck. It's great to educate yourself .

P.S. Dont ever play or use razor wire. If you arnt trained to properly handle it, you will put yourself in the hospital.

I have a small bolt cutter that isn't too heavy or bulky. It won't cut large locks or heavy chain, but it will cut chain link fence and most small locks.
I maintain quite a few miles of barb wire fencing here at home and I use a one handed wire cutter. I think it's a Red Brand but not sure, I'll check it later. It'll eaisly cut barb wire, plus the heavy wire that I use on brace posts so I'm sure that it'll cut chain link too.

Now I'm only giving a few tips in good faith here that no one will be breaking the law or using this for any mischievous intent. These methods are used by first responders often to save lives (not lockpicking though)

Lock picking has been a hobby of mine for many years. So I will suggest to anyone looking for some fun and helpful skills when you need it. I've saved myself about 800$ over the past 15 years with being a dumbass and locking myself out or having a little one lock the door behind me and not know how to unlock it.

A halligan is the #1 tool you will ever need for entry exit etc and perfect for any hand to hand defence. It is used by many units and first responders.

If your not breaking any laws then a quick but loud method would be a cordless grinder wheel with a metal cutting blade. Who cares though if it comes down to speed and safety.

Crowbar is more than sufficient enough with and good quality Sog or Leatherman snips. Check Amazon and google for first responder multi tools with snips.

Chains arnt as strong as you think. Handcuffs can be broken apart while in them in 20 minutes or less with just your hands and dirt debris concrete , twigs. This is if you have no option to pick them which would be my first choice.

This goes for big chains and padlocks to.

With a pry bar, crowbar , halligan (any solid good tool steel) Fill the center up , twist get a bind in the chain and apply torque. You dont always need the padlock to break if the chain is the weakest point & vise versa .
Good luck. It's great to educate yourself .

P.S. Dont ever play or use razor wire. If you arnt trained to properly handle it, you will put yourself in the hospital.
Thank you. I was a paramedic for 11 1/2 years, and the halligan tool was a favorite of mine. I used it often to get at my patient(s) in complicated car wrecks.

Latest posts

Back