Mylar lessons learned?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger72VH

Reaction score
Anyone have any lessons learned for storing white rice and/or beans in mylar bags? I am looking at starting a long term project. I am going to fill 1 gal mylar bags with rice and beans, put oxegyn absorbers in, vacuum the air out, seal it, and fill up 5 gal buckets. I plan on making about 50 buckets over tge next 3 years. Any lessons learned out there?

Sent from my LG-M257 using Tapatalk

I’ve seen where some will heat the rice low and slow in the oven first to kill any bugs first. Also saw where a guy had a co2 tank and filled it just before closing the bucket. Same idea, to kill bugs by dispersing the oxygen. Rice, in my opinion, is the ultimate prepping food. It’s cheap, stores really well, is nutritious and mixes well with anything when ready to eat. Let us know when you do start what you do to it. I would probably even try a mixture of ways of storing it too.

Bugs in the rice = free protein! LOL

No, I don't want bugs in my rice either. But I'll bet in times of dire food shortages, we would have a different perspective on that.

I’ve seen where some will heat the rice low and slow in the oven first to kill any bugs first. Also saw where a guy had a co2 tank and filled it just before closing the bucket. Same idea, to kill bugs by dispersing the oxygen. Rice, in my opinion, is the ultimate prepping food. It’s cheap, stores really well, is nutritious and mixes well with anything when ready to eat. Let us know when you do start what you do to it. I would probably even try a mixture of ways of storing it too.
I will take pics and share best practices.

I'm with Maverick. Save the mylar bags for other items. For rice and grains, etc., gamma lid buckets. (but, if you see my other thread, be sure rodents can get to your plastic buckets!)

I'm with Maverick. Save the mylar bags for other items. For rice and grains, etc., gamma lid buckets. (but, if you see my other thread, be sure rodents can get to your plastic buckets!)
After hunting season i will post some pics to show what I will do. Going to do one bucket next month, maybe later this month

Latest posts

Back