Mylar bags

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bravery

Reaction score
What thickness mylar bags do you use? I bought a pack of 3 mil and I have a few 5 mil but I saw LDS sells 7 mil. The problem with the 3 mil is of course the bag being easily punctured. I had a couple punctured already. I was going to store the bags (whatever mil... in 5 gallon buckets).

What thickness mylar bags do you use? I bought a pack of 3 mil and I have a few 5 mil but I saw LDS sells 7 mil. The problem with the 3 mil is of course the bag being easily punctured. I had a couple punctured already. I was going to store the bags (whatever mil... in 5 gallon buckets).
I haven't a clue.

How do you seal the bags, and what is the best way to keep moisture out? I have heard of using hand warmers. I want to be able to keep rice & beans for some 15 - 20 years longer if possible.

I saw that huge guy from the Nat Geo's TV program (I also saw him on a youtube video and read him on another forum) talking about using hand-warmers... he argues that they are the same ingredients ... I just worry that even if it is the same ingredients ... is it Food Grade?

I haven't a clue.

How do you seal the bags, and what is the best way to keep moisture out? I have heard of using hand warmers. I want to be able to keep rice & beans for some 15 - 20 years longer if possible.

You seal Mylar bags with a hot iron. The best way to keep moisture out is with an :
Oxygen Absorbers Place in bags or buckets to absorb oxygen. Great for preserving dry foods such as grain and pasta. 10 per pack; includes 1 Tell-Tab, which indicates if the absorber is working (turns blue or purple, then returns to pink as the oxygen in the container is reduced). China.

Note: When not using, store unused absorbers in small sealable jar to minimize their exposure to air.

https://www.lehmans.com/p-4891-oxygen-absorbers.aspx

You seal Mylar bags with a hot iron. The best way to keep moisture out is with an :
Oxygen Absorbers Place in bags or buckets to absorb oxygen. Great for preserving dry foods such as grain and pasta. 10 per pack; includes 1 Tell-Tab, which indicates if the absorber is working (turns blue or purple, then returns to pink as the oxygen in the container is reduced). China.

Note: When not using, store unused absorbers in small sealable jar to minimize their exposure to air.

https://www.lehmans.com/p-4891-oxygen-absorbers.aspx
ok this may be a dumb question, but how do you know what the Tell Tab is reading if sealed inside the mylar bag?

I think you look at it when you open the bag to see if it worked.I got some & everything worked good.Directions said to vacuum seal any unused oxygen absorbers within 15 minutes so I guess they don't instantly change color.

Ha ha good question Clyde, I use them as well and have no clue how you tell I assume after you open them. I put them in my bags then vacuum seal them and place it in a Mylar bag and seal it with an iron...works great for me ..

The Tell-tabs are there to see if the container that the Oxygen absorber are stored and shipped in, maintained its integrity (in other words ... did the bag the Oxygen absorbers were shipped in keep the absorbers from absorbing too much oxygen? If they did absorb too much oxygen they won't absorb it when you put it in the mylar bag).

Curious. I am just starting to prep. Was curious if anyone knows where to get some good mylar bags like which is sold at usaemergancysupply.com and O2 absorbers as they do not ship to Canada?

Thanks in advance.

ok this may be a dumb question, but how do you know what the Tell Tab is reading if sealed inside the mylar bag?
How to use the Tell-Tab
When exposed to oxygen, the Tell-Tab turns blue or purple, then returns to its original pink color as the oxygen in the container is reduced.

• Insert a Tell-Tab in a cool, dark place with no oxygen until ready for use. Use OAP's (Oxygen Absorbing Packets) to create an oxygen-free atmosphere.
  • The lower the temperature, the slower the color change.
  • Total elimination of oxygen is seen at a glance.
  • Store Tell-Tabs in a cool, dark place with no oxygen until ready for use. Use OAP's to create an oxygen-free atmosphere.
  • Although OAP's are not hazardous, they are not meant to be eaten
Sorry just now seeing this question. . . you may already know by now

Latest posts

Back